Brewer Fanatic

Who's The One Smart Free-Agent To Sign From This List?

sheetskout
I think we may be a year early re- David Price, but in 1-2 years this organization needs to make one of these signings. Let the kids get a little older though first, then do what the Cubs did with Lester. Astros got lucky that Keuchel became a stud so they didn't have to sign one.

Absolutely the Brewers should be players in free agency - not for the guys that will demand top dollar and multiple years, but the guys that would sign for 1-2 years at reasonable cost before flipping at next year's trade deadline to contending teams. During their rebuild, the recent Cubs model included signing lower tier free agents with the sole purpose of moving them for prospects with warts but promise, or including them in larger trades to acquire premiere prospects. See the trade of Scott Feldman for Arrieta and Strop, or signing Hammels and including him in the deal to acquire Addison Russel. The key is to identify the specific free agents that will maximize their value while in Milwaukee. The Cubs did a great job at this, but even they made a mistake or two (See the Edwin Jackson signing)

There will most definitely be holes in the 2016 Brewer MLB roster that would be best filled at this point by veteran MLB free agents at reasonable cost instead of rushing a prospect when they're not quite ready.

Absolutely the Brewers should be players in free agency - not for the guys that will demand top dollar and multiple years, but the guys that would sign for 1-2 years at reasonable cost before flipping at next year's trade deadline to contending teams. During their rebuild, the recent Cubs model included signing lower tier free agents with the sole purpose of moving them for prospects with warts but promise, or including them in larger trades to acquire premiere prospects. See the trade of Scott Feldman for Arrieta and Strop, or signing Hammels and including him in the deal to acquire Addison Russel. The key is to identify the specific free agents that will maximize their value while in Milwaukee. The Cubs did a great job at this, but even they made a mistake or two (See the Edwin Jackson signing)

There will most definitely be holes in the 2016 Brewer MLB roster that would be best filled at this point by veteran MLB free agents at reasonable cost instead of rushing a prospect when they're not quite ready.

But where? What holes? OF is set. 1b is Lind. 2b/SS I'd look at but what's there? 3b as well, what's there? Pitching? I think the team is pretty close to set. They have far too many young guys for #3-5 type Starter/RP depth to try and find what their niche will be.

You look at SS and Arcia if upcoming. Leaves Segura/Sardinas/Gennett at 2b?

The team made it's SP signing in Garza and had he been successful this year he'd probably been gone at this year's deadline. Since he's still here, that's kinda like the team's FA SP signing to try to trade away at 2016's deadline. You're in the division that just had the 3 best records in all of Baseball. What good is it to spend 10s of millions for next season/2017 in FAs?

Of course, the team could make a few trades and make it required to attain FAs to fill out 25man. I think history shows the team will acquire some Veteran Pitcher. After that, you're talking ridding of Gennet/Segura/Perez for IF acquisition. If your starting OF is Braun, Santana, Davis aside from Parra what 4th OF option do you sign vs just filling with likes of Peterson/Reed and Phillips at some point?

Where? Bullpen for starters, as I'm hoping guys like KRod and some other veteran relievers with value may be moved this winter to create those holes. Trading Garza will probably have to wait until next season if he can stay healthy and put together a good 2016 season. And I most definitely didn't advocate them to spend 10's of millions on FA - the cubs signed Feldman to a 1yr, $6 Million deal with incentives, and they got this year's NL Cy young award winner and team's best reliever for dealing him at the 2013 trade deadline.

I'm also assuming players like Khris Davis, Segura, even Lind may be dealt before the 2016 regular season begins, too - should have mentioned that in my earlier post. The decision Brewers' brass needs to make is whether they can get more value to the organization by either:

1 - moving some of the current 40-man roster during this offseason for prospects, signing some other veteran FA's to market-friendly deals to temporarily fill those holes before trading them to make room for their own MLB-ready prospects when they're ready.

2 - holding onto those same 40-man roster players until next season's trade deadline to hopefully increase their trade value if they perform well, and forego any FA meddling this offseason.

The apparent OF logjam will sort itself out, and I would advocate for starting all of Arcia, Peterson/Reed and Phillips in the minor leagues next season - anything to delay arbitration, particularly when you can delay it during what appears to be a 2016 season that the Brewers shouldn't expect to contend for a playoff berth.

It likely will be a combination of the two approaches, as it takes at least two teams to make trades.

We could sign stopgap-flip guys at any number of positions. If we trade Lind, as I believe we should, we don't have a single infielder who clearly deserves to start. If we trade Davis and or trade or move Braun, the outfield picture opens up short term. I probably wouldn't play this game with the rotation, because we have young guys who should start now. Bullpen, sure -- please trade Rodriguez! -- but you're less likely to find prime flippability there.

The apparent OF logjam will sort itself out, and I would advocate for starting all of Arcia, Peterson/Reed and Phillips in the minor leagues next season - anything to delay arbitration, particularly when you can delay it during what appears to be a 2016 season that the Brewers shouldn't expect to contend for a playoff berth.

I couldn't agree with this more.

I couldn't agree with this more.

Kind of odd to include Peterson with the others as he is the type of guy that would get playing time in order to prevent service time for prospects. Doubt he even makes it to arbitration with the Brewers.

You could make a case for giving Mike Leake some money. Even if you gave him a 4 year deal, he's only 31 at the end of it. Cahill or Anderson at the right price, though Anderson has probably pitched his way out of the right price range.

On the offensive side... Conor Gillaspie? He stinks defensively but he's one of the few buy low type guys that still have a chance at any upside.

Agreed. Let's not forget that the Cubs have two of their biggest stars, Arrieta and Rizzo, because they did two things that a number of folks here vehemently disagree with - sign free agents and trade away young pitching.

I don't think PIT has regrets about taking a flyer on Liriano after two bad years in a row.

Colby Rasmus is not going to be given the QO from Astros......would be a cf option/bridge though not sure what length contract he would want or the extent of his suitors....injury prone and odd guy, but he did have a .800 OPS with 29 homers in just 450 at bats this year, albeit with k's galore

obviously we also have the connection with Stearns

The one player I don't see on that list that I would take a flyer on is Tsuyoshi Wada. When healthy he's been very effective, and LHP is always in demand (I think Toronto will say that not adding another LHP to the bullpen at the trade deadline was a big mistake, as they are getting killed by KC's LH lineup). He was on a one-year, $4M contract this past season, just the right type of contract to take a flyer with.

The Brewers have had pretty good luck with Cubs castoffs...

Archived