Brewer Fanatic

2016 Organizational Rankings

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I thought a new thread on organization rankings was in order for this off season.

Fangraphs has published one, putting the Brewers at #11.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ranking-the-30-minor-league-systems-statistically/

The Brewers are noted for making the biggest jump, going from being ranked 19th in position player depth, and 25th in pitching, a year ago, to 11th overall this year, including 3rd in pitching.

You can look at the article for his methodology.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the best thing is that he mentions the 2015 class didn't figure into the rankings. Clark and Demi have been very highly regarded by BA, so they will certainly factor into all rankings going forward. BA has clark as the best prospect in the AZL, Lara at 3rd, and Demi at 5th.

the best thing is that he mentions the 2015 class didn't figure into the rankings. Clark and Demi have been very highly regarded by BA, so they will certainly factor into all rankings going forward. BA has clark as the best prospect in the AZL, Lara at 3rd, and Demi at 5th.

I love Clark. Lara and Demi are projects. Even Kodi, Gatewood and Harrison have a lot of do before becoming really special prospects. But Clark just looks like he's going to hit. His strikeout rate is a high for my tastes, but his walk rate is great (over 15%), he hits over .300 and his OBP is well over .400. Plus there's the speed.

Not too worried about Clarks K rate, he is too professional of a hitter for that to be a career trend. I'll chalk it up 2 pro ball adjustments at 18.

Did I read that right?! Hader rated 6th best pitcher in MILB?! Man are his numbers impressive! Most are sustainable as well (ks/9 may drop a bit back to 9ish). He Ks a ton and he is tough to make contact on. When batters actually do make contact they babip .270-.280 but his opp. BA usually sits .190-.210. If he can keep walks down, I really think he is a future #2/#3! Remember only 21 dominating AA

Houston is built the way Brewers need to be. Trade away farm in Kazmir & Gonez/Firrs trade yet still }2 system in baseball. To be able to sell of Domingo, Phillips, Hader, Houser and simply shrug shoulders like its no big deal

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

All we need to do is finish in the bottom 5 for 5 or 6 years and we could be Houston.

Please look at draft history.... Really for their top picks they received for being god awful, Correa is the only one who really impacts system. You can't say they sucked so they got Springer at 11 or they sucked and got AJ Reed & McCullers in 1st rd Comp or second round. Being terrible only gets you a top pick, past that top 5-10 1st rd pick the rest is bases soley on scouting. Drafting & bringing in guys such as Domingo/Hader in trades. Those were young A ball guys they took flyers on.

Unless you are trying to say by sucking for 5-6 years they were able to make trades and develop players is only way I can make sense of your point.

Edit: can't spell on my phone

• 4 months later...

The Sporting News 2016 Baseball Yearbook is out this week and it include Farm System Rankings by David Rawnsley of Perfect Game. He ranks the Brewers system at #21 among MLB clubs noting "the future is looking brighter." The Braves are ranked #1 and the Angels are #30. Other NL Central rankings include the Pirates at #4, Cardinals at #19, Reds at #20, and Cubs at #23.

Other organizational rankings expected out in the near future include Baseball America (via the Prospect Handbook), and MLB.com Pipeline staff (Mayo and Callis) who have hinted on a couple of occasions recently that they will have the Brewers ranked highly when they release their system rankings.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The Sporting News 2016 Baseball Yearbook is out this week and it include Farm System Rankings by David Rawnsley of Perfect Game. He ranks the Brewers system at #21 among MLB clubs noting "the future is looking brighter." The Braves are ranked #1 and the Angels are #30. Other NL Central rankings include the Pirates at #4, Cardinals at #19, Reds at #20, and Cubs at #23.

Other organizational rankings expected out in the near future include Baseball America (via the Prospect Handbook), and MLB.com Pipeline staff (Mayo and Callis) who have hinted on a couple of occasions recently that they will have the Brewers ranked highly when they release their system rankings.

Hard to believe there are 20 systems better than the Brewers right now. However I have looked at all the end of the season list that I could find and they are all over the place. Some may have Brewers in top 10, some link the late teens early 20's.

I think the Braves have done a far better job rebuilding there system than the Brewers so far. They have had a head start, however, they are much more willing to make bold moves and move system forward. Brewers have opportunity to vastly improve system. They need to hit on there early round picks. Smith & Lucroy need to be trade prior to losing there value (injuries or poor performance). Davis, Gennett, Segura need to have a really good 1st half. I am sure Gennett will be back to his .300 hitting ways but to increase value more, taking a few walks will go a long way. Segura still has value despite how awful he has been. He really needs to shake off these last two terrible seasons before his value is complete gone. If Davis comes out and hits like he did last few months of season, he is bringing us back something nice.

Next, considering almost none of the biggest market teams can sign international players, this is a big year for Brewers to be aggressive and grab top talent. Braves already got the player people have claimed is the best player since Sano and is the next Miguel Cabrera in SS Kevin Maitan. I believe the handshake agreement is for 3.8 million. We need to do more than Gilbert Lara being the only 1 million plus signing bonus baby we have ever had. You need to buy those lottery tickets.

Most important, our system relies on players taking the next step as prospects. We are so young and strong in the R to A ball level. It is time for those guys to become a force & Top 100 guys.

Harrison, Gatewood, Mederois, Ponce, Williams, Lara, Demi, Diplan, Diaz are all guys who could easily rise a lot. Tyrone Taylor & Coulter can easily regain status after this season

21 seems light, but then again, it really doesn't matter. It's one opinion, and in the end, the players have to produce, whether you the best or worst system. I imagine we'll have others put the system quite a bit higher.

The best thing about seeing the team higher is that it sort of gives me a feeling that we're heading down a good path - that there's a turnaround in the future.

Nothing official but Jonathan Mayo said the Brewers "moved to the top" in a tweet last week.

Over the Braves? No thanks...hard to compete with all that talent they have at the top of the system. Brewers have a lot of complementing prospects, but I think I would take the Braves system in a heartbeat.

System ranking are a total crapshoot though.

When it goes to rebuilding Braves have done it beautifully. They made tough call after tough call to better their future. They have a head start on Stearns but really we haven't trade any tough pieces to improve team yet. I trust in DS but hopefully he doesn't hold his chips to long. Smith hurts arm, Lucroy another concussion, Davis has a season like he did 1st last year, Brauns back or thumb don't hold up, Segura continues to get worse, Gennett plays like 1st half last year..... All these are big deal breakers for their value. Then again by holding one to them, they may go Parra & improve stock more.

Overall, we are a month away from spring training & have yet to make a tough decision. KRod was easy decision, Lind was only retained to trade, Sardinas & Sneed were little moves

When it goes to rebuilding Braves have done it beautifully. They made tough call after tough call to better their future. They have a head start on Stearns but really we haven't trade any tough pieces to improve team yet. I trust in DS but hopefully he doesn't hold his chips to long. Smith hurts arm, Lucroy another concussion, Davis has a season like he did 1st last year, Brauns back or thumb don't hold up, Segura continues to get worse, Gennett plays like 1st half last year..... All these are big deal breakers for their value. Then again by holding one to them, they may go Parra & improve stock more.

Overall, we are a month away from spring training & have yet to make a tough decision. KRod was easy decision, Lind was only retained to trade, Sardinas & Sneed were little moves

That is why it would have been nice to start trading pieces a couple years ago when Lohse and Ramirez still looked like they could play and may have brought some good players back. Maybe Garza as well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Nothing official but Jonathan Mayo said the Brewers "moved to the top" in a tweet last week.

Over the Braves? No thanks...hard to compete with all that talent they have at the top of the system. Brewers have a lot of complementing prospects, but I think I would take the Braves system in a heartbeat.

System ranking are a total crapshoot though.

I think Mayo was alluding to the Brewers moving to the top group of systems, not the very best. He followed it up with a tweet that said, "near the top".

Jim Callis had a similar TWEET back in late December:

The @Brewers look like a top-five farm system to me. @MLBPipeline will rank the top 10 systems in February or March.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

All we need to do is finish in the bottom 5 for 5 or 6 years and we could be Houston.

Please look at draft history.... Really for their top picks they received for being god awful, Correa is the only one who really impacts system. You can't say they sucked so they got Springer at 11 or they sucked and got AJ Reed & McCullers in 1st rd Comp or second round. Being terrible only gets you a top pick, past that top 5-10 1st rd pick the rest is bases soley on scouting. Drafting & bringing in guys such as Domingo/Hader in trades. Those were young A ball guys they took flyers on.

Unless you are trying to say by sucking for 5-6 years they were able to make trades and develop players is only way I can make sense of your point.

Edit: can't spell on my phone

With the current draft rules, it's not having the top spot overall thats the biggest advantage, it's about having the draft pool amount that comes with the top overall spot that can be used in the comp pick or other earlier rounds to go after the talent that's more difficult to sign. That's the reason the Astros didn't sweat failing to sign one of their top overall picks when he wouldn't agree to an under slot bonus offer.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/11/12/9722594/minor-league-ball-top-20-prospects-for-2016-organization-index

For comparison sake, Sickels has the Brewers with 15 prospects given a straight B- grade or better. That is the most of any of the 13 systems that he has analyzed so far (including Dodgers, Red Sox, and pre-Miller Braves). I'm struggling to understand an analysis that is based on anything other than perception, Keith Law, or affiliate win % that puts us in the bottom half of baseball.

Have it on good authority that when Baseball Prospectus releases their Top 101, four Brewers will be listed (one within the Top 50, OK, you know that one), and three within the back half.

Won't steal any more of BP's eventual thunder other than to mention that info for now.

Have it on good authority that when Baseball Prospectus releases their Top 101, four Brewers will be listed (one within the Top 50, OK, you know that one), and three within the back half.

Won't steal any more of BP's eventual thunder other than to mention that info for now.

Surprised they are so down on Brett Phillips. He has done nothing to lower his stock at all. Jorge Lopez will be the 3rd one, and the last spot would be between Hader or Clark. I don't think BP over values draft position as much as mlb pipeline and some others so my money is on Hader.

Surprised they are so down on Brett Phillips. He has done nothing to lower his stock at all.

One HR on 214 ABs at AA last year - after hitting 15 on 291 ABs at A+ ball in the Cally League, which is very hitter friendly. Some people are just not sure how much power he's going to produce.

Personally, I think he'll be fine. He was still hitting lots of doubles and triples at AA, which is a good sign.

Archived