Brewer Fanatic

College Baseball Resource Thread 2007

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From last June --

Dragons' Clark: No thanks, Brewers

Dragons' Clark: No thanks, Brewers

New Palestine first baseman, unhappy with draft position, says he'll go to college

IndyStar news service report

The call came too late to interest him now but just in time to motivate him for 2009.

New Palestine High School senior Andrew Clark was selected by Milwaukee in the 18th round Tuesday, one of 13 players with state ties taken on the first day of the annual baseball draft.

"I've already talked to people and told them I'm going to go to Ole Miss for three years and see what happens," Clark said. "I'm going to prove to people I'll be a first-round pick (in 2009)."

Clark, a first baseman who had heard he might go as early as the third round, monitored the early rounds before spending the afternoon with friends. He said he talked to a Brewers scout soon after he was selected.

"He could tell I was kind of upset," Clark said. "He just told me to calm down. I'm determined to go down there (Ole Miss) and show them something."

Way to goof things up, kid. Oh well, I'm sure he'll resuface elsewhere, like Brae Wright did.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due to a rain delay, last Friday night's Nebraska-Oklahoma game was televsied on Saturday afternoon, meaning both team's Friday starters, Tony Watson and Stephen Porlier were on display.

Tony Watson

Watson throws almost sidearm from a very low 3/4 delivery. There's a lot of arm to his delivery, kind of like he's throwing a javelin, but it seems to work for him. He pitches very aggressively with his fastball, and isn't afraid to throw that pitch over the plate. This leads to some hard contact against him, but he does do a good job keeping the ball down in the zone, which should translate well against wood bats. His changeup is a very good pitch, which acts a lot like a very heavy sinker. Lefties can seem to get away with a fastball-changeup repertoire more than a righty can, at least when it comes to starters, as Watson barely threw his breaking pitch (for the most part, he didn't need it). He did give up three runs over seven innings of work. When he misses the strike zone, he just misses. I've compared him to David Huff before, who was a supplemental pick a year ago, and they both have very similar stuff and approaches to the game. Watson's changeup isn't as good as Huff's, but his fastball is consistently better.

Stephen Porlier

Porlier has been a pleasant surprise this season, although he was a very talented pitcher coming out of high school that started his career at Tulane. He received a medical redshirt in 2005 and had Tommy John surgery, so he's draft-eligible sophomore. He has a great pitcher's frame, very similar to Jake Arrieta as profiled below, and I like the way he pitches more than Arrieta. He has a stiff lead leg when he lands as part of his delivery, which causes him to throw across his body somewhat, which is a little scary given the fact that he's already had major arm surgery. He has three very good pitches that he throws for strikes. His fastball reportedly sits in the low-90s, he has a 12-to-6 curveball that was very sharp at times, and a very good changeup that drew some pretty awkward swings when he had the batters thinking fastball. He recorded strikeouts on all three pitches, which is good to see, especially against a tough Nebraska team. All of his pitchers were in or around the zone, except when he tried to get batters fishing for a hard curveball in the dirt. He pitched aggressively, going right after hitters and trying to make them hit for contact early in the count. He tossed a complete game shutout, allowing only four hits and no walks while striking out six, usng 123 pitches to do so. His stuff wasn't as dominant later in the game, as the Ks tailed off after the fifth inning, but his ability to change speeds and hit his spots allowed him to stay in the game as long as he did. A very nice pitching prospect, not a staff ace or true #2, but he should be a second to third rounder unless he decides to return to Oklahoma for his junior year of eligibility.

Jake Arrieta

CSTV carried the TCU-UNLV game from Friday night last evening, which meant getting a look at TCU's staff ace and potential first-round pick Jake Arrieta. His body is similar to Porlier's with a high waist, strong, long legs and a barrel-chested upper-body. He has a wide backside, which by no means he's fat, as he is in very good shape. His strong lower half makes him look like a prototypical staff ace workhorse, and resembled Roger Clemens a little bit. The first thing I noticed is that he overthrows quite a bit, pushing his fastball and curveball into the dirt seemingly without intentionally doing so. He didn't pitch as aggressively as either Porlier or Watson did, consistently working away from right-handed hitters. His fastball is definitely hard to hit, as few players managed to have hard hit balls off of him, as the five runs scored against him seemed to be a product of walks and singles strung together. He did allow one very hard hit ball, a home run in the second inning. His breaking ball doesn't fool anyone. It shows promise, but it doesn't have a very tight break to it. I'm not sure if the pitch was inconsistent or if he throws two versions of it, as one was tighter than the other. I didn't see a changeup. although theoretically with his potential power arsenal he won't need it. The thing with Arrieta is that all of his problems are completely correctable with a good pitching coach, which made me like him more than I have been by just following his success through the box scores. His mechanics and delivery need to be brushed up so he repeats his delivery better and doesn't overthrow as much. He needs to stop nibbling and go right after batters, and this might simply be a matter of increasing his confidence. I'm not sure if he's a legit first-rounder, as he's definitely not in the same mold as Max Scherzer or Luke Hochevar, a couple of Boras-advised college righties from the past couple of years.

Colby, what are the rules when someone is dismissed from the team? Does he still have to wait until he's 21? In the NFL they have that alternate draft which is where the Packers got Mike Wahle, because he was kicked off the NAVY team before being draft eligible

I'm not exactly positive how that will shake out. There are two other players/freshmen that were booted from the South Carolina program, Lonnie Chisenhall and Nick Fuller, that could also affect the draft.

If I had to guess, as long as all three of them would make themselves eligible for the draft, basically eliminating their remaining college eligibility, they could become draft eligible since they are no longer affiliated with their school's baseball programs. The article above did note that Clark is going to remain in school for the semester, but again, his semester should be over by the time the draft rolls around.

I'm guessing all three of them would have to write a letter to the commissioner's office to determine whether or not they would be eligible for the draft, and we may not find out until a few weeks beforehand.

However, they would probably be better off returning to school somewhere to improve their status. The problem is that no one will have seen them play for several months, and no one entered the draft season expecting them to be draft eligible, so they probably haven't been scouted very much (meaning scouts would have to rely on their notes on them from their high school days). All three are better off either transferring to another D1 program or going to a JC to improve their status. If the draft is on their mind, they should go to a JC so the scouting community knows to follow them more closely next year.

And if they do become draft eligible this year, you may see some team take a flyer on them hoping that these players show something playing summer ball.

Texas played Rice last night, a game carried live on CSTV, and offered plenty of interesting prospects.

Jordan Danks

Danks is a former Aflac All-American, a player that could have easily been a first-round pick in the 2005 draft had he not made it very clear that he was attending Texas. Danks is a great looking athlete, built tall with long, strong limbs and room for added strength. He's a very similar athlete to Kyle Russell, although Danks is actually more filled out at this point in time. He has good speed (he probably could play CF down the road), good power potential and a disciplined eye at the plate. The home runs haven't started coming for him yet, but I think they will. He's draft eligible next year.

Kyle Russell

Russell hit his 21st home run on the season last night, hitting a high outside fastball the opposite way to left field, on almost an excuse me swing. I say this because it's clear how much power this guy has, even with a metal bat. And he will need to realize this sooner or later, because he tends to overswing which leads to some eye-popping strikeout totals. When he learns to trust his natural power he is going to be a better overall hitter. Even if he doesn't, he already could be the second coming of Adam Dunn, although Russell should be a much better defender in one of the corner outfield spots with pretty good speed and a strong arm.

Brad Suttle

I didn't get a real good feel for Suttle, but there are tons of Bill Mueller comparisons out there. It makes sense, as he's a switch hitter, a solid defender at third base, he has a good eye, hits for contact and a high average and has double-digit home run power. In other words he's a good, not great, hitter and overall player, and I have a feeling he will return to Texas for his junior year despite being draft eligible.

Preston Clark

Texas' catcher, and another draft-eligible sophomore. Clark is exactly what he is advertised as: A very good defensive catcher with some pop in his bat. He could be a Gold Glove candidate behind the plate, and while he may hit well enough for a catcher, I don't think he's going to earn his paychecks with his bat. The bat speed just isn't there, despite the fact that he laced a couple of singles in this game.

Tyler Henley

Rice's leadoff hitter smoked a triple to deep centerfield to lead off the game. This guy is the second coming of Lenny Dykstra, the definition of scrappy. He has some pop, some speed, tracks balls down well in CF and has a good enough arm. Again, nothing stands out, but he's solid across the board and his approach will allow him to play above his tools.

Brian Friday

Rice's SS. I listed him in my notes next to Suttle as a good but not great player. He can run a little, hits pretty well, has a little bit of pop and plays sound defense.

Joe Savery

Savery has very good plate coverage and pitch recognition, but I'm not sure if the power is in his swing. He is a very good natural hitter with power to the opposite field (he hit a towering fly ball to LF in the 1st and a solo HR to LF in the 7th). That power has not shown much this season, as IIRC his SLG is lower than his OBP. He didn't pitch, as he's Rice's Sunday starter, as I still think his arm makes him more of a first-rounder than his bat. Like Sean Doolittle I think his best comparison as a hitter is John Olerud, which of course would make him a very good hitter, but his power needs to continue to develop to reach that status.

Cole St. Clair

St. Clair came in the 7th inning with a runner on and nobody out, and worked the rest of the game facing just one over the minimum. He got Danks to groundout to end the game, struckout Chance Wheeless and walked Kyle Russell. He threw almost all fastballs in this game, and according to the stadium gun he was throwing in the 86-88 range, topping out at 90. I've seen him throw in the 93-95 range before, and I have also seen him throw a dominant slider and a very impressive changeup in the past. I think I saw only two sliders, which were very loopy, and didn't see a single changeup. He commanded the strike zone extremely well, which is good to see for a guy who missed the first couple of months of the season with biceps soreness. His delivery also wasn't as funky as I remember, but he still has a big leg kick that he'll need to tone down with runners on. I'm not sure if Rice is limiting what he throws or if his fastball was the only pitch working for him coming out of the bullpen, but it was nice to have the chance to see him pitch again. I think his draft stock has had to have suffered so far given his injury and what he's throwing right now, but he's still a solid prospect given his FB command and the fact that he's a lefty. The good thing is that his arm should be relatively fresh for the summer months.

Randy Boone

Texas' closer came in the 7th to face one batter, and made that batter look silly swinging over a nasty slurve. He command his fastball extremely well, and physically resembled Bryce Cox, Rice's closer from a year ago. He started the year slow and has been pitching much better as of late, which could mean big things for the Longhorns down the stretch.

Chris Kelley

Rice's starting pitcher. I haven't seen or really paid too much attention to this junior RHP before, but he did a really nice job changing speeds and commanding the strike zone against a tough Texas lineup. He has a fastball, curveball and changeup, of which the latter two pitches showed really nice movement. I'm guessing he only throws in the 87-88 range, but still he could be a name to watch to be selected in rounds 3 through 10 come draft day.

I won't be offering any weekend previews for the weekend series, as I'm leaving tomorrow night for Nashville to cover the Tennessee-Vanderbilt series. I'll have plenty of reports to share upon my return, which likely will be posted on PG Crosschecker's site at some point next week.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Update on unsigned Brewer draft pick Andrew Clark (18th round, 2006, non-DFE), as discussed earlier in this thread:

www.clarionledger.com/app...3/70417036

Ole Miss baseball player says he skipped classes, will transfer to Louisville

By Robbie Neiswanger

rneiswanger@clarionledger.com

OXFORD ? Starting first baseman Andrew Clark said he wasn?t happy at Ole Miss, so his dismissal from the baseball team by coach Mike Bianco was ?for the best.?

Clark, from New Palenstine, Ind., said today he was dismissed primarily because he was ?slipping up in school.? Clark said his grades are good, but that he missed several classes and showed up late to others, drawing the ire of the coaching staff.

Bianco, who announced the dismissal Monday, would not say why Clark was kicked off the team.

The freshman started 30 games and was batting .311 with four home runs. He said family issues played a role in his problems as well as his unhappiness at Ole Miss, and that he wants to be closer to his home.

?I think that maybe I should?ve been a little better as far as handling stuff,? said Clark, who indicated some off-the-field issues had been bothering him. ?But it wouldn?t have happened if I liked being down here and was happy with everything.?

Clark was suspended from the team before Ole Miss? four-game road trip last week. Before the road trip, Bianco told him to take the time to think about his future and the two would meet Monday.

Clark was surprised Bianco dismissed him, but said the decision made things easier.

?To be honest, I was going in (the meeting) with the intention of letting (Bianco) know that I wanted to transfer,? Clark said. ?I wanted to play and try to finish the season out. ... I wanted to help the team and stuff, but he kind of thought it would be the opposite. So I was released and it was for the better.?

Clark said he?ll probably transfer to Louisville, which is 90 minutes from his home and is coached by former Ole Miss assistant Dan McDonnell.

?It?s where I want to go because of Coach Mac, the relationships that my parents have with him and I?ve got a good relationship with him,? Clark said. ?I think going there would work out the best.?

I'm currently in Nashville, and just got out of the Tennessee-Vanderbilt game about an hour ago. David Price pitched a dandy, taking a perfect game into the seventh inning. Actually he was one out away from taking it into the 8th when Tony Delmonico stroke an opposite field single to right field. Price proceeded to strike out Arencibia to end the frame.

Price shouldn't have been allowed to pitch the 9th. I'm sure Vandy coach Tim Corbin puts his trust in his players and that it does something that I could never explain, but Adkins had already taken long enough to get out of the bottom of the 8th inning, and Price had pitched enough (14 Ks through 8 IP).

Casey Weathers came in and closed the game out, so in addition to the Vols opposing pitcher, James Adkins, I got to see pretty much every prospect I was hoping to. Look for a more detailed report from this game next week on PGCC, in the meantime, enjoy some crappy pictures I took (I thought they would turn out better until I uploaded them onto my computer...Photoshop can't save these).

David Price warming up in the bullpen

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/price-bullpen2.jpg

Hawkins Field

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/hawkinsfield.jpg

Price's first pitch

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/firstpitch.jpg

David Price

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/price1.jpg

James Adkins

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/adkins1.jpg

Pedro Alvarez

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/alvarez1.jpg

Julio Borbon

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/borbon1.jpg

I'm not going to bother with updates this week, since I think people by now will know where to go to find them.

BA has a nice picture of Matt Wieters on their homepage today for everyone to enjoy:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images/mwieters07428309ds.jpg

One draft eligible college pitcher that has caught my eye this year but hasnt had alot of draft publicity is Witchita St right-hander, Travis Banwart.

Anyone know why he hasnt gotten that much pub? He is 6'4 200lbs and was selected to the cap cod all star team last summer.

so far his numbers this year...

1.71ERA 68.1IP 53H 1HR 17BB 72K

he has been excellent this year and in my mind, he is evoking matt garza comps. anyone have anything to say on him?

Lewis-Clark State's Beau Mills just keeps on crushing the ball. It's hard to take his stats too seriously playing in the NAIA, but these numbers in my mind are just as impressive as the ones Rickie Weeks was posting a few years ago playing for Southern, when the level of his competition also drew a few concerns about taking his numbers too seriously.

I didn't update his stats last weekend, but here is his line from his last update on 4/5/07:

.460/.521/.914 in 139 AB, 15 2B, 16 HR, 64 RBI, 12:12 BB:K, 10 HBP

Here's his line now:

.478/.556/1.012 in 161 AB, 17 2B, 23 HR, 80 RBI, 21:13 BB:K, 12 HBP

He's getting fewer pitches to hit it appears these days by the increase in walks (and he has only struck out once in the last two weeks), yet he has hit 7 HRs in that span with 16 runs batted in.

The errors are holding steady at five, but I still don't think he sticks at the hot corner. I think he's athletic enough to play left, but some team may just stick him at first and lets his bat carry him as fast as it can.

Instead of updating the stats of all of the players, I'm going to profile a couple of additional players from the college ranks that may be in the Brewers crosshairs:

Ross Detwiler

6 IP, 8 H, 5 R (2 ER), 8 K, 1 BB vs. Wichita State

Season

4-3, 1.85 ERA, 9 games (all starts), 63.1 IP, 42 H, 78 K, 26 BB, 3 HR, .188 BAA

Detwiler has been tough to hit all season long, although he did give up eight hits facing Travis Banwart and Wichita State on Friday. The walks are higher than you would like to see, but the strikeouts and batting average against are very impressive. He may start to give up more hits if a pro team can teach him how to pitch to contact more, but a left arm like Detwiler's won't last long in the draft.

Daniel Moskos

3.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R (1 ER), 7 K, 3 BB

Season

3-3, 2.29 ERA, 20 games (3 starts), 6 saves, 35.1 IP, 33 H, 46 K, 16 BB, 1 HR, .260 BAA

Season since starting

1.80 ERA, 13.2 IP, 18 H, 18 K, 4 BB

Moskos has been a little hittable since being moved to Clemson's Friday starter spot, but he has allowed only three earned runs. The Ks are nice, and the walks are good enough, and his stuff reportedly has not suffered as he stretches out his arm as a starter.

One more for kicks, since he's a local guy and all...

Jordan Zimmerman (season)

4-0, 2.05 ERA, 6 games (3 starts), 1 CG, 1 save, 30.2 IP, 22 H, 32 K, 9 BB, 1 HR, .210 BAA

Zimmerman's season started a little slow, first after being hit in the face by a line drive, and second because the weather in Wisconsin has been so bad before this last weekend. Reports are that Zimmerman continues to touch 95 on the radar gun and has shown his usual mastery of the strike zone. One scout I spoke to called Zimmerman the second best pitcher available for this June's draft after David Price, which of course is extremely high praise, so don't be surprised to see Zimmerman's name taken extremely early come draft day.

i'll give him a break for being hit in the face, but those numbers are not very impressive for zimmerman. you talk about not taking mills' numbers too seriously b/c of the level of competition, but at least he is dominating the level. zimmerman supposedly has a 95 mph fastball and only has 32 strikeouts in 30.2 innings against D III competition? that is not very impressive. if he is really the 2nd best pitcher in the draft he should be putting up high school type numbers facing the level of competition he is.

I'm a displaced Astro fan (don't hold it against me) and have found this is the best free draft resource on the net!

Anyways, my question is whether anyone has heard anything on Brandon Hicks from Texas A&M. I'm an Aggie and have watched him play several times and would say this guy is a Michael Young clone. He plays SS now, but is probably better suited for 2B. He has a solid eye, but very good power for a middle infielder and a very quiet, solid approach to the plate. I'm hoping that either he winds up slipping to the Astros pick in the 3rd. Here are his stats thus far:

179 AB

.358 Avg

13 2B

8 HR

25:33 K:BB

24 stolen bases in 27 attempts

Welcome aboard, we're glad you found us.

Hicks was covered in the story I linked to just five posts above of which David Rawnsley wrote about 25 players on the rise. Here's the snippet on Hicks:

The knock on the 6-foot-2, 205-pound Hicks last year at San Jacinto (Texas ) JC, when he went undrafted, was that he was a slick and often spectacular fielder whose bat was short. He hasn?t been quite as slick in the field this year (15 errors) but his offensive performance as a middle infielder (.354-8-42, 21 SB, 22 BB) has put him in a different draft area.

I read some reports before the spring that targeted Hicks as a possible breakout player, including a few reports from an Aggies fansite that I came across. It's hard not to like what he's done, his size and his tools. Good luck having him fall to the third, as a SS with that kind of production may not get past the painfully long sandwich round.

i'll give him a break for being hit in the face, but those numbers are not very impressive for zimmerman. you talk about not taking mills' numbers too seriously b/c of the level of competition, but at least he is dominating the level. zimmerman supposedly has a 95 mph fastball and only has 32 strikeouts in 30.2 innings against D III competition? that is not very impressive. if he is really the 2nd best pitcher in the draft he should be putting up high school type numbers facing the level of competition he is.

Sorry, I missed this before.

While I agree that one would expect Zimmerman to be putting up Nintendo-like numbers against D3 teams, it's important to remember a couple of key things: D3 ball is extremely competitive (as is the NAIA), and despite my comment about expecting Mills to put up big numbers given the level of competition, you can never put too much weight into stats. Yes, they help paint a picture, and yes I talk about them quite a bit on this forum, but if you didn't have Zimmerman's scouting report you probably would never guess that he can throw 95 miles per hour if you just had his stats.

In Zimmerman's defense, he also put up similar numbers/ratios in the Northwoods League last summer. You could argue that the NWL isn't the Cape Cod League, and that the hitters were using wood bats, but still the scouts and managers across the league ranked him the top prospect.

And for the record, one scout told me he felt Zimmerman was the 2nd best college arm in the country. That's obviously not the consensus, and you have to have more of an imagination with Zimmerman than most of the guys that are typically discussed on first-rounders, but the scout that liked Zim loved how easy his arm worked and how much natural movement he had on all of his pitches. And he really has come out of nowhere in recent years, as he threw in the low-80s coming out of high school. As a late bloomer with several traits that you simply can't teach, it seems as though he may be only starting to scratch his potential.

"i'll give him a break for being hit in the face, but those numbers are not very impressive for zimmerman. you talk about not taking mills' numbers too seriously b/c of the level of competition, but at least he is dominating the level. zimmerman supposedly has a 95 mph fastball and only has 32 strikeouts in 30.2 innings against D III competition? that is not very impressive. if he is really the 2nd best pitcher in the draft he should be putting up high school type numbers facing the level of competition he is."

Ummmm....the WIAC isn't a typical DIII Conference...teams out of that conference have competed and beat DI teams...Zimmerman is every bit of pitcher that they say he is!

colbyjack...I read you wrote something about Ross Bennett from UWP...have you seen him this spring? I coached Ross his first year at Platteville...great kid...never thought he would get a look at pro ball though...only a red shirt junior!

No, I didn't catch Bennett and the Pioneers the spring. I intended to check them out last month when they hosted UW Stevens Point, but the series was pushed back twice given the terrible weekend weather at the time.

Nice to see Bennett continue to hit. The tools reportedly are somewhat limited, but his bat has played well the past couple of years. Guys like this from smaller schools always seem to end up returning for their senior year of eligibility.

Colby-That will hurt Ross because he is a redshirt Junior...he played football the first year...he actually runs real well for his size...stole a some bases for UWP...maybe he will be another Vinny Rottino and sign next year as a free agent and prove people wrong

By they way I will be in Atlanta for the month of July working for Perfect Game...most likely we already meet in person at Jupiter FL this past OCT...but if not we will have to get meet up and talk some good brewer/wisconsin baseball talk!

Thanks for the thoughts and observations Madtown Bomber.

I haven't been updating numbers as much of late because I think the Brewers first-round pick will come down to a prep bat. David Price continues his awesomeness, and there seems to be a very slim chance that the D-Rays don't take him. However, you just never know.

I do want to point out that Daniel Moskos continues to thrive in a starting role for Clemson, pitching against offensive powerhouse Georgia Tech last Friday and putting up this line:

6.1 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 8 K, 2 BB

And here's his line on the year after four starts (starts only):

1.35 ERA, 20 IP, 23 H, 26 K, 6 BB

Keep in mind the Tigers have brought him along slowly as they stretch out his arm for the starting role.

The only other college arm that I think has a chance to go to the Brewers at #7 is Ross Detwiler, who had his worst start of the season, really his only ugly start, last Friday against Southern Illinois:

3.2 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, 2 K, 2 BB

Archived