Brewer Fanatic

College Baseball Resource Thread 2007

I watched the first 6 innings of the game (Just to see Price pitch) and I came away fairly impressed. Price wasnt blowing guys away like I expected (Until his final inning +) but he's very smooth and low effort to the plate. His breaking ball wasnt as good as I hoped, as it breaks pretty early and not a whole lot. It looked like he was using a cutter/2seamer as well which was keeping hitters off balance. Everything he threw had movement, but I was surprised at how Rice was consistently making contact. He finally started dominating in his last 1.2 innings and struck out 4 of the final 5 batters that he faced. The runs he gave up were due to errors committed behind him and a bit of wildness. Both of the first 2 runs scored on what should have been a double play, and that was after Pedro Alvarez suffered a brain fart and allowed Rice to load the bases instead of recording an out on a ball he fielded. My feeling is, had he not been facing the #1 team in the country, Price would have done much better but he didnt do all that bad.

Joe Savery was alright. He drilled a hanging slider to lead off the second inning, but otherwise didnt look that great at the plate. He has an extreme closed stance, with his front foot near the plate and his back foot at the opposite end of the box. I wonder how much of the outside portion of the plate he can cover and how well he can turn on inside fastballs. He looked great at 1B. I'm anxious to see him pitch.

Also, Brian Matusz will be pitching against USC tonight at 9 central and that game will be aired over the net for free at CSTV.com. I'll give a little writeup of his performance if no one minds.

Turns out the SD/USC game wont be aired for free.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some notes on some draft-eligibles from tonight:

Brad Meyers (LMU): 7 IP, 3 H, ER, 7/1 K/BB (vs. UC Irvine)

He hasn't really put it together like people thought he would. But we've seen players catapult good junior years into lucrative draft spots, so hope is certainly not lost for Mr. Meyers.

Trey Barham (VMI): 5.2 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 6/1 K/BB (vs. Florida)

If Barham compiles very good numbers against the rest of VMI's schedule, teams might look to this game as a sign of credibility for his statistics.

Mickey Storey (FAU): 5 IP, 3 H, ER, 8/2 K/BB (vs. Cincinnati)

A projected 4th to 6th rounder coming into the season, if Storey puts up a strong statistical season, he could sneak up into the 2nd or 3rd. Kind of a poor man's Lance Broadway, Storey's uses a very good curveball to rack up K's.

Wes Roemer (Fullerton): 7 IP, 10 H, 3 ER, 6/0 K/BB (vs. UNLV)

A very respectable start by Roemer. Ideally the hit numbers would come down a little.

Brian Matuuuusz (San Diego): 6 IP, 3 H, ER, 13/3 K/BB (vs. USC)

3 games against good teams and 3 very good starts by the pitcher who is looking like a top 5 2008 pick right now.

Scott Maine (The U): 5 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 5/1 K/BB (vs. UCLA)

If he can stay injury-free I see him getting picked in the 1st. Supp.

Nick Schmidt

6 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 6/2 K/BB

Two of the top relief prospects in the draft got roughed up tonight:

Brett Cecil (Maryland)- IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 1/0 K/BB

Joshua Fields (Georgia)- IP, 3 H, 5 ER, 0/3 K/BB

cstv all-access has some free games and this is one of them. i think you have to sign up for a log-in, but its free. they also had the vandy game yesterday and it might be archived if you want to watch it. it would be a good thing to sign up for. i think they also have TCU for free next weekend so you can take a look at arrietta.

I can't access the video via CSTV because it says you have to be running IE 6 or 7 on a Windows platform. In this day and age of technology, given the advancements of Mac OS X, that is simply inexcusable and lazy on the part of CSTV.

I will check out the archives of it at work on Monday where I do have access to a PC.

Savery profiles better as a pitcher, as he can touch the mid-90s when healthy and has a very good breaking ball with pretty good command.

However, he didn't pitch much last spring, he didn't pitch at all over the summer and he just started pitching again early this year. He has had some shoulder concerns, which is never good news, but he seems to be pitching through those problems while building up strength. In addition, Rice pitchers always draw some skepticism, although I always counter by saying Head Coach Wayne Graham has produced the likes of Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte.

He pitched a good game yesterday (against Texas A&M's David Newmann, a Brewer draftee from a year ago): 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 K, 2 BB, and hopefully for Savery he keeps it up.

He's the one college pitcher that legitimately fits the Brewers with the 7th overall position. Guys like Price and Brackman will have to fall due to signability (or get injured), and after those two there is a pretty big gap until you get to the next group of quality starters that includes guys like Nick Schmidt and Jake Arrieta. Savery's health this spring will be key to where he ends up going, as most have him ranked in the 5-10 range overall should he stay healthy (he's just outside of my top 10 since I'm always a little more cautious about pitchers with injury concerns).

Check out the first post on the third page of this thread to read a more detailed scouting and statistical breakdown:

p092.ezboard.com/fbrewers...mp;stop=48

EDIT: Also be sure to check out page one of this thread to see comments from Blazer25 about Savery's mechanical problems based on the pictures provided of Savery and Price.

College baseball returns to TV this weekend with a tape-delayed broadcast of the Miami-Florida game on Sunday. Here are the details:

Miami @ Florida

When: Sunday, 2/18, 10:00 PM CST

Where: FCSA (channel 107 for TW Digital Cable Milwaukee subscribers)

If you remember, last year the Saturday game of this series was televised, as we got an early look at LHP Manny Miguelez and RHP Bryan Augenstein. Jack Zduriencik was in attendance for this game as well, shown on TV personally clocking Miami closer Chris Perez (hopefully that means Jack Zduriencik will be on Talkin' Brewers as well this Saturday).

Assuming the tape-delayed broadcast of the game will be Sunday's game (according to Florida's site, both Saturday's and Sunday's games will be shown in Florida by the SUN network), if the rotations hold, Miguelez should be going on Sunday vs. Florida RHP Billy Bullock (a 20th rounder of the Dodgers a year ago). Miami has plenty of players worth watching, highlighted by Jemile Weeks and Yonder Alonso, who is pounding the ball like few others so far this season.

Florida's most notable hitter is slugging senior 1B Matt LaPorta, who we all had plenty of opportunities to see a year ago (Florida, Florida State and Miami all had plenty of games on TV last spring).

An early TV update looking ahead to next week...

Florida State @ Florida

When: Tuesday, 2/20, 5:30 PM CST

Where: FCSP (channel 109 for TW Digital Cable Milwaukee subscribers)

I'm not sure why the Pacific channel of the Fox College Sports channels is carrying this game, but who cares? College baseball on a Tuesday in February?

No clue on the possible starters in that one.

Here's looking ahead to the weekend schedule:

Notable ranked teams Clemson (vs. George Mason), North Carolina (vs. Seton Hall), Wichita State (vs. Pepperdine) and Nebraska (as part of the UT-Arlington invitational tournament) all start their seasons this weekend.

Some of the more notable series:

Rice vs. Long Beach State

Long Beach State is off to a hot start, taking 2 of 3 from both USC and Texas the past two weekends, while Rice is off to a slow start.

Radio (LBSU is one of the few schools that still carries online broadcasts for free without needing to sign up for anything):

www.longbeachstate.com/gen/thisweek.html

Arizona State, Missouri, Oregon State, and Gonzaga will take part of the Coca-Cola Classic in Surprise Arizona.

Cal State Fullerton takes on Arizona, who is off to a relatively surprising 8-0 start.

Stanford travels to play Texas this weekend in a re-match of the CWS finals from two years ago.

Prospect watching outside of the marquee matchups:

Vanderbilt plays Ohio this weekend.

NC State plays Gardner-Webb.

Georgia Tech takes on UIC (keep an eye out for UIC RHP and Madison native Ryan Zink, who missed last year due to TJ surgery and has yet to make an appearance this season).

Arkansas hosts UW-Milwaukee. Go Panthers!

San Diego hosts Virginia Commonwealth.

UCLA plays East Carolina.

TCU will face Oral Roberts.

Tennessee plays Bethune-Cookman.

Oklahoma State plays La Salle, Florida Atlantic and Ball State at the FAU Beach Ball Bash tournament.

Mississippi hosts Evansville this weekend.

And finally, Beau Mills of NAIA national powerhouse Lewis-Clark State College begins play this weekend.

I have to share this picture of Texas' Kyle Russell, a draft-eligible sophomore OF with awesome power potential due to a mighty swing. This is reminiscent of Geoff Jenkins, who also never gets cheated at the plate:

http://cache.texassports.com//image_lib/russell_kyle_102506_400.jpg

I will be in Cedar Rapids, Iowa attending the Perfect Game Indoor Showcase for pitchers and catchers this weekend, which is why I'm getting a head start on the games to be played.

Don't forget, you can watch college baseball, Florida vs. Miami, at 10:30 this evening CST on FCSA. If it's today's game, you will be pleased by the offensive fireworks, particularly from one Jemile Weeks.

A quick rundown on this weekend's action from notable prospects. I'm not a huge fan of following the results too closely this early in the season, given so many of the unbalanced matchups. But hey, that's what this thread is for.

David Price

6.1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 12 K, 0 BB vs. Ohio

Andrew Brackman

5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 8 K, 2 BB vs. Gardner-Webb

Joe Savery

4 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 K, 0 BB vs. Long Beach State

Sean Doolittle

6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 5 K, 1 BB vs. George Washington

Jake Arrieta

6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 8 K, 1 BB vs. Oral Roberts

Bryan Augenstein

7 IP, 3 H, 2 R (0 ER), 7 K, 3 BB vs. Miami

Nick Schmidt

6 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 4 K, 4 BB vs. UW-Milwaukee

As I hinted at above, Madison native Ryan Zink did indeed make an appearance this weekend for the UIC Flames. He started Saturday's game, tossing 75 pitches over 3 innings of work, giving up 6 hits, 3 ER, 3 walks with one strikeout. While it wasn't a pretty outing, it was his first since having TJ surgery last year, and UIC managed to win in come from behind fashion late in the game. GT took the other two games of the series.

Speaking of Georgia Tech, how about some offensive numbers...

Matt Wieters

.240/.355/.560 in 25 AB, 2 2B, 2 HR, 5:3 BB:K ratio

J.P. Arencibia

.174/.387/.348 in 23 AB, 5:4 BB:K, 3 HBP

Of course, way too early and far too small of a sample to draw any kind of a conclusion on either catcher that is frequently discussed around these parts. Wieters has had some big hits despite hitting only .240, while it doesn't look as though Arencibia has gotten many pitches to hit given his walk and hit by pitch numbers (and low strikeout totals). IIRC, both started slow last season as well.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Wes Roemer, whose Titans took two of three from the surprising Arizona Wildcats this weekend, even if they they took the loss on Friday for Roemer's start in a 2-1 ballgame.

8 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 9 K, 0 BB (114 pitches, way too many this early in the year)

BTW, Arizona's closer, Daniel Schlereth, is the son of former NFL OG and current ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth.

Here are some thoughts of mine from Sunday's Miami - Florida game.

Miami Hurricanes

Jemile Weeks

Weeks continues to bat leadoff for the Hurricanes, and is more of a prototypical leadoff hitter than his big brother Rickie. While he looks very, very small, there is some pop in his bat. He's a switch hitter, makes good contact and shows a very disciplined eye at the plate. In this game he went 4 for 5 with a walk and a stolen base. As a left-handed batter he hit a triple to leadoff the game, a booming shot off of a high fastball from Bullock to center field that bounced off the fence on the fly. As a right-handed batter, he out-ran a high chopper to 2B in the 5th, and bounced a high chopped over the third baseman's head in the 7th for a double. He hit an opposite field single in the 9th.

His speed is very evident, and he runs the bases extremely well. I know others have commented on this before, but I think Jemile is a much more natural second baseman than his older brother is, even if Jemile doesn't have the same kind of high ceiling offensive potential that Rickie does. He looks better as a left-handed batter than as a right-handed batter, and I'm guessing he hits for more power from that side. His speed out of the right-hand batter's box to out-run an infield single in the 5th was impressive.

Yonder Alonso

Remember this name for the 2008 draft. While Pedro Alvarez and Justin Smoak typically are considered the two top prospects for '08, I think Alonso will be in the same conversation as those two. He has a great hitting base, a patient, disciplined approach, a big, athletic frame and easy power to all parts of the field. His picture perfect swing reminded me of David Justice's. He employs a wide and open stance.

He hit an opposite field HR off of Bullock on a letter-high fastball in the first inning. His swing was just so easy and the ball took off. He pulled an inside fastball for a two-run single in the first and blasted a double to left-center field off of a relatively tough left in the eighth. Alonso was fun to follow a year ago as a freshman, and so far so good as a sophomore.

Dennis Raben

Raben plays right field and pitches for the Hurricanes. He has a similar wide, slightly open stance as Alonso, although he doesn't crouch over as much. He also has a very disciplined and patient approach at the plate, as the entire Hurricanes lineup does. He's not near the same level of a prospect as Alonso is, but he has a good bat and decent power and could be taken in the top 10 rounds in '08.

Ryan Jackson

The best defensive SS available in last year's draft, questions about Jackson's bat caused him to slip and he attended Miami, where he's starting as a freshman despite those questions with his stick. He ditched switch-hitting, hitting right-handed only now. There isn't much power in his bat but he waits for his pitch and makes solid contact. He's not particularly fast despite his smooth defense, but he runs well once on the basepaths. He and 3B Mark Sobolewski could form one of the better left-sides in all of college baseball the next 2-3 years, complementing Alonso and Weeks well.

Mark Sobolewski

Another talented freshman. Sobolewski has the perfect baseball body and looks like a big-league hitter with sloped shoulders and big forearms. He has a very nice approach with quick, strong hands, and has already drawn a few unfair comparisons to Ryan Braun. Sobolewski isn't quite that good of an athlete, but he may be a better pure hitter.

He had a really nice AB against Bullock in which he hit a RBI single right up the middle to centerfield on an inside fastball. He added a opposite field two-run single in the fourth on an outside fastball, showing his willingness to go with the pitch and swat it the other way to drive in runs. Another name to watch in '09.

Blake Tekotte

I enjoyed watching Tekotte a year ago, who is a high energy, speedy player that has taken over CF now that Jon Jay has moved onto the pro ranks. Another extremely selective player at the plate, almost too selective. There isn't much power to Tekotte's game, although I did see him hit some decent shots a year ago. His speed and defense will allow him to be drafted, but he may struggle to hit with a wood bat.

David DiNatale

DiNatale transferred from Central Florida this past year, and he's a former Aflac All-American. He hardly pulled the bat off of his shoulder in this game, but had a really good AB in the 9th, working the count and fouling off several pitches before walking with the bases loaded.

Manny MIguelez

I saw MIguelez a few times a year ago, and I reallly like the way he pitches. He had an extremely short outing, and gave up a booming HR to Matt LaPorta (although its questionable whether or not it would have been a HR with a wood bat). He has a very nice and repeatable low-3/4 delivery. His fastball has some dip to it, and it looks as though he's working on a cutter, which would fit his profile perfectly. His curveball is loopy but it works and draws some awkward swings. He also throws a good changeup. He works the outer half well before busting hitters inside, and if nothing else I think he could be successful vs. LH hitters at the big-league level. Nothing stands out for Miguelez, but I think he could be more than serviceable upon entering the pro ranks.

Enrique Garcia

Miami's closer, he transferred from Potomac State (WV) this past year after a couple of really good seasons serving as a starter. His power arm has prompted a move to the bullpen, and that may be a good fit for him as he has a high-effort delivery that places a lot of strain on his pitching arm/shoulder. He has a strong lower half. His fastball has a little dive to it, and he reportedly throws a split-fingered fastball, of which I didn't see. He has a good looking curveball as well.

In the game he got Matt LaPorta to put an awkward swing on a diving curveball that LaPorta got out in front of and chopped to third base that started a game-ending 5-4-3 DP.

Florida Gators

Josh Bullock

Bullock is built almost exactly like Gators Friday ace Bryan Augenstein. He's very tall with a strong base and lower half, and his body looks somewhat awkward as if he just got through with a growth spurt but he hasn't filled out yet. He has a very good curveball, that he can hook into the strike zone or dive into the dirt. His fastball doesn't appear to have velocity to it, but when he was composed he spotted it well.

To start the game though he didn't spot his fastball well, and Weeks and Alonso in particular got some pretty big hits off of him. No one could touch his curve, and since his fastball wasn't working for him he relied on his breaking pitch a little too much. He is going to need to correct that. He did settle down in the 2nd and 3rd before getting yanked in the 4th, and looked good when he was cruising.

Matt LaPorta

The first thing that I noticed with LaPorta was how much better he looks at first base. He just seems to be determined to improve his game after such a tremendously disappointing season a year ago. He hit an opposite field 3-run HR off of Miguelez in the 1t off of a low, outside fastball. He just flicked his wrists and the pitch was gone (as I mentioned above, with a wood bat this is probably a lazy fly to RF). He had a nice AB in the 5th, fouling off pitches to stay alive, and added another HR in the 7th. This one was a mammoth 2-run blast to straight away CF.

Keep in mind, I had LaPorta ranked in the top 10 when he was a juinor a year ago. If he has a really good year he could jump right back up draft boards this spring and find himself selected in the first half of the first round.

Miami definitely has more draft-eligible position players than Florida does. The Gators do have a nice looking, scrappy 2B by the name of Cole Figueroa who is a freshman that has a nice slashing bat. The Hurricanes have started a little bit slow, as they did a year ago before surprising people with a CWS appearance. I picked Miami as my preseason #1 team, and while they have the starting lineup to out-hit anyone, their pitching needs to come together for them to live up to that lofty ranking.

Florida was a team I picked to surprise some people after their disappointing 2006 season which followed their own surprising run in Omaha in 2005.

Don't forget, FSU vs. Florida tonight at 5:30 pm CST.

LaPorta through 7 games:

27 at bats

.481 avg

4 homers

5 walks

2 HBP

0 strikeouts

0 strikeouts in 27 at bats is very impressive for a power hitter like LaPorta. it looks like the power is back, you say he has improved his defense, and if he keeps making contact like he is now he will shoot right back up the draft board.

The lack of Ks so far is very impressive for LaPorta, who prior to this year was striking out at an alarming rate. I noted his one AB in my notes just above about him fouling off pitches because it was clear he understood the importance of making contact in certain situations (even making contact to foul pitches off to continue to give himself a chance to get a pitch to drive). He didn't have ABs like that last year from what I saw of him. The strikeouts were by far his biggest concern IMO, and hopefully he keeps those ratios down.

BA is reporting that Tennessee will likely be without catcher JP Arencibia this weekend and probably the following weekend due to a strained muscle in his back. Apparently the injury was initially triggered in their series vs. FSU to open the season.

The Vols are already missing All-American CF Julio Borbon who broke his ankle before the season started.

I was just about to comment on you jinxing LaPorta fewgoodcards, but I just lost my post as my browser unexpectedly quit on me.

So, here are my condensed thoughts from tonights 14-6 FSU victory over Florida.

Matt LaPorta did strike out for the first time on the season tonight, swingining at a breaking ball in the dirt in an AB in which LaPorta did a great job staying alive by once again fouling balls off. His double in the 7th was a booming shot over the head of FSU CF D'Vontrey Richardson. LaPorta continues to remind me of Pat Burrell.

Speaking of Richardson, who has a bright future as FSU's QB, he hit a mammoth three-run HR in the 8th as FSU blew the game wide open. With so many two-sport players, you don't see many that clearly have a knack for baseball as Richardson does. He plays a very shallow CF, trusting his speed and instincts to chase down fly balls. No one would have caught the ball LaPorta hit.

Florida 2B Cole Figueroa reminds me a lot of Delino DeShields with a low waist and his socks pulled up to his knees. Figueroa hit a solo shot tonight, and plays with an evident flair for the game.

FSU catcher Buster Posey is the next Brandon Inge (before the Tigers moved him from behind the plate to the hot corner) or Michael Barrett as an offensive-minded catcher. He had a couple of nice looking singles in tonight's game, and proved his offensive prowess last summer on the Cape.

FSU SS Mark Hallberg was the one player I wanted to see the most, since he's a Wisconsin native. Think David Eckstein, as he's very short, yet he makes excellent contact, never strikes out, makes every play at SS he can get to, makes solid throws on the move, and has a strong enough arm.

FSU is rolling. They hit a couple of HRs tonight, but for the most part they have been scoring a ton of runs by getting on base and stringing a bunch of walks and singles together. Florida is a resilient ballclub, and if they don't succeed this year they're going to make some noise in the years to come.

Rye is a good all-around player. Not a great player, as nothing in his game stands out, but he's a good hitter, makes very good contact with a little bit of power, plays well enough in RF and has a sound arm. He profiles more as a 4th OF at this point in time, but if he keeps on hitting he could evolve into more than that.

Also, FSU 2B Tony Thomas looked pretty good as well, much more refined than a year ago, and smacked a few balls pretty well despite his smallish stature. He's a guy to watch for in '08, and could give the ACC a pair of solid 2B to go along with Jemile Weeks.

how about the donnie hume, james simmons matchup tonight? hume took a no hitter into the 9th, but gave up back to back hits to open the inning and was taken out. of course the reliever let both score to mess up his line a little, but still a great game.

simmons

9 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 2 walks, 9 strikeouts

hume

8 innings, 2 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts

i watched the game as they had it free on cstv.com and both guys looked good. simmons has very good control of both a 4-seam and 2-seam fastball and also has a really good changeup. something that may hold him back is he doesn't have much of a breaking ball. hume also commanded his fastball very well and was working with a pretty good change up as well. he dominated with pretty much just those 2 pitches until about the 7th when he started throwing his slider more and it also looked like a solid pitch.

Archived