Brewer Fanatic

Scoring Baseball Games at Miller Park

RunaBase

I have written my Brewer's Representative the following in a E-mail

I like scoring Brewers Baseball games, when at the games.

I have done over 984 games so far since following the Brewers since the 1970s.

I have notice that in the pass few months At Miler Park, has stop informing over the PA system to the fans in the stands of double switches or if a player has replace another player, or players moving to a different positions.

They do it for Pitch hitters or pitching changes ,but not the above situations

He forward my question to the person in charge of entertainment

and came back with this answer.

It all has to do with the new MLB time limits in between innings this year (you have probably seen the clock that ticks down in RF). If we get all the info on the changes in times, they will announce it. If not, they do not.

I wrote back;

don't agree!

Just my opinion , but the clock tick down doesn't speed up the game and is not followed by players or Umpires.

I have seen them go 30 seconds or more after clock is at 0:00 time, before the game is resumed.

The Games are still over 3+ hours long.

Also , if they have time to play walk up music, smile cam, hair cam, jump music, etc

they have time to tell us of player changes.

it would only take 10 seconds or less to say double switch, so and so player is playing in this position and will be batting in this # position ,Pitcher is batting in this # of the line up.

or player 1 will now move to this position, and player 2 is going to this position

He came back with

I can’t argue with any of your points.

I don't know how many of Brewerfan.Net followers score games?

but what do you think of this policy?

I'm there for the game, not all this hoopla between innings

and when they take baseball information out of the game there is something wrong.

That is cool that you like to score games. I score a few but I am usually there with a group of friends, so I dont have the peace and quite to do so. I imagine all of the other things going on is to help hold the attention of the casual fan. I think that is the type of fan they are trying to attract.

Yeah, I'd say that we're missing out on information in general, and this is only one example. I'd like to be told "hit or error" rather than risk missing it during the brief time it may appear on the scoreboard.

I suppose that scoreboard activities (fans dancing, games, etc.) get in the way of announcing substitutions. But a compromise might be to make the announcement once the inning has started. Better late than never.

I'm going to move this thread over to the Major League forum. It seems to be a fit for either spot; the Major League forum is likely to give the topic a larger audience.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

This happened on Sunday. The people sitting behind me were trying to figure out the subs. I thought I understood the moves but they utterly confused me. I also miss that they don't show scoring decision on the scoreboard anymore. Is used to be in the lower right hand corner where they showed MPH. They still show MPH but not scoring.

A double switch requires the manager to report the changes to the home plate umpire. So when you see a manager in conference with the umpire prior to making a pitching change, there is a good chance he is also making a lineup change.

They also post information on the scoreboard, so you can see if the relief pitcher is hitting outside of the batting spot vacated by the starting pitcher, then they conducted a double switch.

Finally, the MLB At Bat app lists all the plays and lineup changes in real time. You can find out what happened that way.

Not sure where you sit, but if you can swing getting a seat in one of the sections in front of the press box (216,217,218), you'll catch most of that stuff. I do agree with you in regards to all the between innings "hoopla". I understand that they are trying to appeal to the casual fan, but it still can be a little annoying at times.

In regards to changes to speed up the game. As per your response back to them, it does seem like they do not always enforce these new rules. The one about not allowing players to step out of the box between pitches has pretty much been ignored since the first game of the season. I know not all fans were in agreement with those rule changes, but I still think if you are going to make rules, then those rules should be followed. Otherwise, what's the point? Has there been any report of average game times this year and if there has been any significant improvement over previous years?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I haven't scored a game at all this season, and seeing how I don't plan to go to anymore games this year, I won't be. I used to every time I went, with or without friends. Loved it. My gripe is that I don't want a score book, I liked the official Brewers score cards. When they went to $2 each so they basically could sell an advertisement on that trifold, my score keeping declined drastically.

Often times I'd forget a pencil too, so you had to buy one.

Love keeping score, I always liked comparing scorecards with others because everyone does it just a little bit differently. It's certainly a lost art.

Buy a scorebook at a sporting goods store. :) That way, you'd only have the occasional expense of a pencil when you forget one.

As an alternative, I think an iPad might be a nice way to score. Maybe also an iPhone, although the screen would be somewhat smaller.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Yeah, I'd say that we're missing out on information in general, and this is only one example. I'd like to be told "hit or error" rather than risk missing it during the brief time it may appear on the scoreboard.

Bob Betts used to announce scoring decisions, but he's been gone 15 years now.

Great thread. I also score (nearly) every game that I go to. I can also definitely be pegged as someone who gets a bit tired of all the non-baseball stuff that goes on at the stadium and wish that the team would get back to understanding that fundamentally they need to cater to people who are there to watch a baseball game. Letting those of us who care know about scoring decisions would be awesome. I do however know that I am probably in the minority and that most people go to games with the understanding that they will be entertained by more than just the game itself. I don't get it but it is what it is I suppose. Earlier this season I was sitting by myself (I promise that I do have friends, just that sometimes going to a game solo is my way of complete relaxation) and a woman sitting nearby seemed very confused as to what I was doing with a scorebook in my hand. She drunkenly kept asking me if I worked for the team or was a "secret agent" of another team lol.

I think scorebook keeping is going to be a lost art in the next generation. It is amazing how many of the kids I've coached in baseball, at the high school level, can't even keep a basic book. On top of that, now we have app's that do this for us and keep stats so kids never even learn how to do it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think scorebook keeping is going to be a lost art in the next generation. It is amazing how many of the kids I've coached in baseball, at the high school level, can't even keep a basic book. On top of that, now we have app's that do this for us and keep stats so kids never even learn how to do it.

When I started coaching JV 6 years ago I would always have a kid on the bench do a backup paper copy of the scorebook as I kept the digital one. In my 6 years I have only had 1 kid who knew how to keep a scorebook. We eventually trained a couple but only 1 had any clue what to do without help.

...a woman sitting nearby seemed very confused as to what I was doing with a scorebook in my hand. She drunkenly kept asking me if I worked for the team or was a "secret agent" of another team lol.

Part of me hopes you told her you were a secret agent. :)

I enjoy scoring, and have a nifty little scorebook (http://eephusleague.com/2013/06/the-halfliner/) but I don't score every game we attend. When we sit in front of the press box (same sections cited by Patrick425 above), I want to keep ready for foul balls.

I too have noticed fewer scoring plays being listed on the ribbon board (out by the closed captioning and pitch count) than in years past, or even earlier this season. Even when I'm not scoring a game, I like to have that information.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Thanks for the comments on this subject. I'm glad I'm not a lone in scoring or missing baseball side of Miller Park

Seeing I go to 40 games a year. I made my own score cards for all information I take at the game . Got a nice clipboard that has storage for all the scorecards and extra pencils in case of extra innings. I buy a Brewers Scorecard for the 1st game of the series use as file holder for the games

Went to Fridays game , and there was only pitching changes called, ribbon board and Scoreboard did not show the errors made in the game.

I'm glad that I notice the Cubs manager talking to the umpire to make 4 player change in the 7th inn , because I would been really confused

Not a double switch .I had to check the fielding positions on Scoreboard and the following inning to get where in the lineup they were place.

So I guest a relaxing scoring of games at the ball park has turn into a little confusing/stressful . Guest I have make it a habit ,to go home and check the computer if I score the game right.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is that stuff available on the internet? If so you could maybe use your phone to supplement the PA announcer. If it's not readily available, the Brewers could maybe have some interactive deal at the stadium where you can use a tablet or something to get that info in real time.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not into smartphones. Matter fact I don't bring my cell phone (flip type ,lol) to the games.

I know about scoring on tablets, I try it at home, but it wasn't as fast as a pencil and the programs didn't have the information I record at the game.

Plus ,I have only two hands lol,where would I put it when scoring

I was think of a small radio, with a ear plug, than I wouldn't be able to talk to the friends I'm with .

I keep score too, and noticed we're left to figure out substitutions on our own. Yes, I can usually figure them out myself, but it's the principle that bothers me. And I don't want to stare at my phone during the game. God forbid the playing of the actual game should interrupt climbing a rock wall or finding Bernie in the crowd. And get off my lawn.

I score at almost every game I go to. I do have to use the Internet more and more because there is less info available at the game.

I have an excel file that will print a scorecard for me. That way it has exactly what I want. Only nine batting lines needed. Ninth spot in the order has room for 4 names (no DH for me!). A spot to mark which sausage won. Which is also the only between inning hoopla I like besides Roll Out the Barrel.

And how did everyone's fancy app mark Segura stealing first?

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

• 2 months later...
...a woman sitting nearby seemed very confused as to what I was doing with a scorebook in my hand. She drunkenly kept asking me if I worked for the team or was a "secret agent" of another team lol.

Part of me hopes you told her you were a secret agent. :)

I enjoy scoring, and have a nifty little scorebook (http://eephusleague.com/2013/06/the-halfliner/) but I don't score every game we attend. When we sit in front of the press box (same sections cited by Patrick425 above), I want to keep ready for foul balls.

I too have noticed fewer scoring plays being listed on the ribbon board (out by the closed captioning and pitch count) than in years past, or even earlier this season. Even when I'm not scoring a game, I like to have that information.

Only scored games at the stadium a handful of times when I would by a scorecard you can purchase when you walk into the park. Decided going into this next season I wanted to start scoring games on a regular basis (for most of my 20 pack). Took your advice hawing and purchased the halfliner from Eephus League. Really nice scorebook, great quality and a perfect size for bringing into the park. Can't wait to use it this season.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived