Brewer Fanatic

3B?

ewitkows

Since we have no one in the pipeline that would be ready in the next few years how about Hanley Ramírez ?

Yes I know he makes 22 mil a season but Boston has no place to play him and could pay half to get rid of him. His contract is only through age 35 so it's not like your stuck with him till he's 40. Thoughts?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since we have no one in the pipeline that would be ready in the next few years how about Hanley Ramírez ?

Yes I know he makes 22 mil a season but Boston has no place to play him and could pay half to get rid of him. His contract is only through age 35 so it's not like your stuck with him till he's 40. Thoughts?

Not that I am punting next season already, but I would rather spend minimal bucks on a AAAA flyer than spend 8 figures on an older guy that wouldn't be part of my long term plans.

My thought is that all the young pitchers get their audition next year, and if enough of them are ready, we are competing in 2017, and then we would spend money to fill 3B or whatever hole is in the roster.

I thought I heard something about him going to First next year? I wouldn't touch him. Guy's like him are prone to checking out once they get paid for the last time, no incentive anymore. I'll be surprised if he ever has another good season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hanley is talented, but he's also a terrible fielder, injury prone (games played over the last five years - 92, 157, 86, 128 and 105), makes a ton of money, erratic at the plate (his OPS has been in the .700s three of the last five years - as low as .712 - but also over 1.000) and - at 32 this December - at the point where all his skills will start deteriorating.

If Milwaukee was a contender, I could see adding him (assuming Boston paid 1/2 his salary) if he was a desperate need. But we're not a contender, and won't be for a few years.

We just got rid of an aging, bad fielding, injury prone 3B who made more than $10M a year. Let's not do that again.

It's already been said he's playing 1B next year.

Reilly pretty much summed it up. Constantly hurt, can't play defense, massive and lengthy contract, downside of career, totally inconsistent... no thanks. If Boston was willing to pay about half of his total contract and the Brewers were actually looking to contend next year, then maybe.

Since San Diego has been mentioned as a team with potential interest in Segura, why not ask for Solarte as part of the deal? He's put up decent numbers, would give them a much needed LH bat, and is controllable a year beyond what Segura would be. Pads could move Gyorko to 3rd and insert Spangenberg at 2B.

Otherwise, the platoon of Perez and Herrera has been cheap but pretty productive since Ramirez was dealt. They've had worse caretaker guys and Perez should still have upside at just 24.

Unrelated, but I would find it hilarious if the Red Sox dumped Pedroia (2B), Hanley (whichever position Seager doesn't play), Porcello (#5 starter), and Sandoval (utility) on the Dodgers. Friedman probably has no interest and wants to use his money on Price, but I'd just find that funny.

Unrelated, but I would find it hilarious if the Red Sox dumped Pedroia (2B), Hanley (whichever position Seager doesn't play), Porcello (#5 starter), and Sandoval (utility) on the Dodgers. Friedman probably has no interest and wants to use his money on Price, but I'd just find that funny.

The Dodgers are looking to get under the tax so I don't see them going after Price or taking on any new contracts unless they are subtracting one of theirs (Crawford or Ethier). It is why I think Garza makes sense for them he will cost less than anyone on the current market and they could dump Crawford on the Brewers and the salaries for next year would cancel out and they would save I believe it is about $4m if Garza's '18 option kicks in if not it is a savings of about $17m for the Dodgers. If the Dodgers traded Ethier to the Brewers it would basically be a wash between him and Garza if the Brewers decided to just do the buyout for Ethier on his '18 option and this again assumes Garza's '18 option kicks in. If Garza's option does not kick in the Dodgers would be saving $13m if the Brewers use the buyout on Ethier.

The Brewers do not even have a contract that would even out with Hanley so I don't think this would work out for the Brewers. Mark A. has stated that payroll is going to be lower next year so I don't think the Brewers are going to be adding any type of payroll next year which they would have to do in order to get Hanley. Braun is the only player that it could be possible with but the Red Sox are on his no trade clause.

It's already been said he's playing 1B next year.

Reilly pretty much summed it up. Constantly hurt, can't play defense, massive and lengthy contract, downside of career, totally inconsistent... no thanks. If Boston was willing to pay about half of his total contract and the Brewers were actually looking to contend next year, then maybe.

If we were contending next year I would rather just go with Lind at 1B.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Only 3b I'm targeting is a high ceiling AA or AAA stud if we move Khris Davis or someone else. Build a core for future...don't throw away 22milion for no reason. Only ppl who should get that are our own guys to retain them.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

He wouldn't have to be part of our long-term plans, but I'm quite sure we'd be able to flip him for something that would be if he bounced back even close to his old numbers. If the Red Sox did cover a good chunk of his remaining salary I'd have no problem taking a flier to see if we could convert him into something valuable for the future. If rather use some of the excess payroll we have over the next few years to try and acquire future pieces than try out some scrub just for the same of following some line-in-the-sand philosophy that we won't sign older players because we are rebuilding. Atlanta didn't deal for Arroyo because they thought HE was gonna be a big part of the future.

He has a .291 OBP this year.

He certainly fits the profile if Doug Melvin was still in charge

Alfonso Soriano had a .289 OBP in 2011, but combined for 66 HR and 209 RBI the next two seasons at age 36 and 37. Just sayin, not advocating unless Boston ate most of his salary.

He wouldn't have to be part of our long-term plans, but I'm quite sure we'd be able to flip him for something that would be if he bounced back even close to his old numbers. If the Red Sox did cover a good chunk of his remaining salary I'd have no problem taking a flier to see if we could convert him into something valuable for the future. If rather use some of the excess payroll we have over the next few years to try and acquire future pieces than try out some scrub just for the same of following some line-in-the-sand philosophy that we won't sign older players because we are rebuilding. Atlanta didn't deal for Arroyo because they thought HE was gonna be a big part of the future.

I'm not against signing/trading for a player with the intention of flipping him next year, but I doubt that the Red Sox are really going to eat enough of his contract that the Brewers would want to take that type of risk of him sucking/getting hurt and not being able to flip him and eating whatever is left themselves on his contract.

I would think picking up a starting pitcher with the intention of starting him through July and then flipping him like the Cubs did with Maholm and Hammels would be more like what I would shoot for, which would also give Lopez/Wagner a half a year in the minors before being called up in August.

I think Doug Fister would be a good option for the flipping idea. You already have 4 starting spots filled though (counting Garza) so then you wouldn't have the 5th spot for a young guy like Davies. As roderick said though, maybe that's a good thing, gives those guys a few more months in AAA

Hanley is talented, but he's also a terrible fielder, injury prone (games played over the last five years - 92, 157, 86, 128 and 105), makes a ton of money, erratic at the plate (his OPS has been in the .700s three of the last five years - as low as .712 - but also over 1.000) and - at 32 this December - at the point where all his skills will start deteriorating.

If i was to look all around baseball and tried making up a list of say the 10 players which i'd least like the Brewers to make an attempt to trade for, off the top of my head, Hanley Ramirez would likely be on that list.

Not only is he probably in decline, has an ugly contract, injury prone, and bad defensively, he's been reported to have attitude issues at more than one stop. Given where the Brewers are in the contention cycle and the super tough division the NL Central currently is, i gotta believe/pray that our new GM wouldn't even consider trading for Ramirez under almost any circumstances, with good reason.

There was talk of 1B but this kid they called up has been hitting really well. He's already made 90 mil and this is his first bad year. He's a classic buy low and maybe you get the 5 war guy for a few seasons

I thought I heard something about him going to First next year? I wouldn't touch him. Guy's like him are prone to checking out once they get paid for the last time, no incentive anymore. I'll be surprised if he ever has another good season.

HanRam is a disgrace for a Baseball player. TMwiese has it right: He's good and ought to be known as someone who's checked out. He's lazy and dogs it all the time. Miami Benched him multiple games because of his on field effort....Lack thereof.

Ewit you're asking for the wrong kind of return to be possible.

Oh Yeah isn't he playing the worst defensive OF ever? Like literally 1Run per game the team was getting defensively that he cost them? That's the intelligence and effort/ability we're dealing with.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Philly beat writer says the Brewers showed interest in 3B Cody Asche this past summer. Asche is expendable because the Phillies have a stud in Maikel Franco.

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-philadelphia-phillies/look-ahead-what-will-be-interesting-phillies-offseason

Asche is has been mostly uninspiring during his 2.5 years in the big leagues. He's hit around .245-250 with a dozen HRs and an OPS between .689-.699 the last couple of years. He's lefthanded, doesn't walk a ton and strikes out at a pretty high rate.

I know Philly played him in the OF last year after Franco came up, but I don't know how his glove plays at 3B or anywhere else.

Asche is 25, so there's might be some improvement in him. In the minors he wasn't a big HR guy, but would hit .280-300 type guy with 10-15 HR. I don't remember much about when when I watched games against Philly, other than he didn't look real athletic. But that's my very limited exposure.

Philly beat writer says the Brewers showed interest in 3B Cody Asche this past summer. Asche is expendable because the Phillies have a stud in Maikel Franco.

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-philadelphia-phillies/look-ahead-what-will-be-interesting-phillies-offseason

Asche is has been mostly uninspiring during his 2.5 years in the big leagues. He's hit around .245-250 with a dozen HRs and an OPS between .689-.699 the last couple of years. He's lefthanded, doesn't walk a ton and strikes out at a pretty high rate.

I know Philly played him in the OF last year after Franco came up, but I don't know how his glove plays at 3B or anywhere else.

Asche is 25, so there's might be some improvement in him. In the minors he wasn't a big HR guy, but would hit .280-300 type guy with 10-15 HR. I don't remember much about when when I watched games against Philly, other than he didn't look real athletic. But that's my very limited exposure.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Asche is actually a decent fit and somebody I've had my eye on for a while. He's certainly a lot better fit than Matt Dominguez who some on here wanted or Mike Olt for that matter.

Plusses are he's a left handed bat and he's had back to back double digit HR seasons. He's played on some bad teams. I think in a Brewer lineup that's a bit deeper, he might have a bit more success. Not talking about an All Star here, but a guy that could put up .260/.315/.400 type numbers with 15 or so HR in the 7th spot in the order isn't bad (really not much different than what Ramirez gave them the last couple years) especially considering the market for 3B in general which is pretty weak. He just turned 25. He put up very good numbers in the minors too and got on base at a .361 clip in AAA. Ask yourselves if there was a 25 year old 3B coming off a AAA season where he hit .295/.352/.485 in the more pitcher friendly International League that a player like that wouldn't be worth taking if the price was right? Asche put those numbers up at age 22-23 in 2013. He didn't walk much in Philly because they wanted him to drive in runs in the 6th and 7th hole primarily. He was moved off third to make room for Franco, not because he couldn't handle the position but his bat is a bit lacking for a corner OF spot. Still at 3B, possibly in a platoon with Perez, I think he'd give the Brewer lineup some much needed balance and provide some measure (along with Perez) of production toward the bottom of the order. You don't give up a ton for him certainly, but Brewers have some depth now from which to deal.

Archived