2015-16 Minor League Miscellaneous Offseason Updates

Mass Haas
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frosty Microbrews: Different Perspectives

By Kyle Lobner / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

RHP Trey Supak (Jason Rogers trade) and OF/1B David Denson featured --

"I've been doing a lot more weight training, a lot more cardio training, a lot of things I didn't really do before, I would say," Denson said. "I would say that it's definitely different in terms of workouts. It was a lot more…how can I say…all I can think about is it was a lot more hardworking."

And why weren't you, David? Is that on him, the training staff, or former director Reid Nichols?

Outside of top prospects I feel like minor leaguers don't do much training in the offseason. I'm sure a lot of them get jobs instead. I remember going to a T-Rats game a couple years ago and sitting front row by the visitor on deck circle. I couldn't believe how scrawny many of the hitters looked. I remember the CF looked like he'd never touched a weight in his life. Baseball is such a sport that you can be pretty succesfull in high school and college without great physical strength.

Is anyone else frustrated with the lack of information for minor league camp this season? Usually I can find a good deal of scouting reports, box scores from games, BrewerPD had daily line-ups and stand out performers. This year....dead silence is appears outside of a few Frosty Microbrew articles, Chris K's scouting reports for a few games, and that is about it. Chris Mehring going down there soon to start blogging?

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
you would have to think either Gatewood or Lara will be moved to 3rd this season.

I've not seen any of them in person, but based on scouting reports, it sounds like Lara has the best chance to stick at SS. Gatewood is speculated to be at 3B (or even some reports of 1B). And Diaz at 2B because of arm strength.

But if Lara starts at Helena, I'd guess Gatewood and Diaz will split time: Gatewood at 3B/SS and Diaz at SS/2B. With Neuhaus splitting at 2B/3B.

But if Lara comes up, I'd guess it would be more fixed at Gatewood/Lara/Diaz covering 3B/SS/2B. But that is only my thoughts...

Per McCalvy, Gatewood has moved to third:

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm so anxious to see what they do at Wisconsin this year. With Gatewood's move to 3B, that can almost assuredly mean that Isan Diaz will play at 2B, since he would have been the more logical move to 3B. Which must mean that Lara will be starting the year in A ball. they must like what they've seen by him this spring and will give him the Denson/Gatewood/Harrison treatment, of seeing what he can do there, and if he looks overmatched send him down to Helena in June.

This also means that unless they are targeted for A+, Collymore, Neuhaus, Iskendarian, & Cotto will be trying to find playing time as all over the field and DH, when applicable. Because one would have to figure that Clark, Harrison, & Stokes are entrenched in the OF as well. and to boot you've probably got Denson & Rubio on the squad too. dang.

Cannot wait to see them play this year!

With Gatewood's move to 3B, that can almost assuredly mean that Isan Diaz will play at 2B, since he would have been the more logical move to 3B.

Missing why Diaz is assurred to be moved. The Brewers have been pretty consistent that Diaz will play shortstop this season.

"He's really looked really good at shortstop so far," Flanagan said. "He'll likely get the bulk of the time at our Midwest League team at shortstop this year."

mlb.com

Thanks for the update- that definitely lessens the logjam- glad to hear he'll be sticking at SS, at least in the short-term. I was going off of this reference from Diaz last month:

along with Chris Kusiolek's informative fall instructional first hand account that said Gatewood didn't look very smooth at 3B-

with that said, who knows- Lara still may end up starting in Wisconsin, but really - I don't see any reason to rush him.

• 2 weeks later...

When talking about Clark in that article, this really stood out to me...

"He's been compared to Ryan Braun for his tools, and he's likely to hit for more homers as he grows into his body."

That seems like pretty high praise. I always thought of him as more of a 20HR guy than a 30-35 HR guy. Has anyone heard this comparison before?

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

When talking about Clark in that article, this really stood out to me...

"He's been compared to Ryan Braun for his tools, and he's likely to hit for more homers as he grows into his body."

That seems like pretty high praise. I always thought of him as more of a 20HR guy than a 30-35 HR guy. Has anyone heard this comparison before?

No, & that part gave me pause as well. Honestly the only thing I can think of is that they're really high on Clark's hit tool, and then from there it's just extrapolation that he's "been compared to Ryan Braun" in part because they're in the same org. Their physiques aren't very similar, & neither is the raw power projection ... at least as far as I'd ever read on Clark.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived