Brewer Fanatic

David Stearns named Milwaukee's new GM

markedman5
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Green was the one on the PTBNL list in the Sabathia trade that we were most frightened about losing right? And we were somewhat relieved when they took Brantley instead? Or, to quote Roger Clemens, am I misremembering?

I believe you are correct, Roger

Green was the one on the PTBNL list in the Sabathia trade that we were most frightened about losing right? And we were somewhat relieved when they took Brantley instead? Or, to quote Roger Clemens, am I misremembering?

That's true, and I was about to post the same thing. You never know but you almost have to wonder with a change of scenery could he have further benefitted from going to the Indians organization in that trade? Good luck to him!

Has anyone read or heard anything from Stearns regarding any changes in pitcher development?

With all the talented young arms (many VERY young) I'm wondering what changes, if any, Stearns is making within the organization. Is he a believer in the Farm down in TX? Pitch counts, days off, arm slots, developing certain pitches? New person that will oversee pitching development? I could go on, there's so much to this. But I haven't seen any info on this since Stearns arrived.

That's true, and I was about to post the same thing. You never know but you almost have to wonder with a change of scenery could he have further benefitted from going to the Indians organization in that trade? Good luck to him!

Wasn't Luc on that list as well?

Wasn't Luc on that list as well?

The most detailed version I heard of this story, which somebody posted here well after the fact (I'm sorry my memory isn't better), was that the teams agreed that the Indians would get Brantley if we made the playoffs and Green if we didn't. I have no idea whether that's accurate.

At the time, the information I recall seeing here was that Cleveland just got to choose between the two. Some of us, I have to say, hoped fervently that the Indians would take Green. No disrespect to him, because I also hoped fervently at a lot of points that the Brewers would give him some kind of real shot. But a lot of smart people (really smart, I'm not being snarky) badly underestimated Brantley.

...At the time, the information I recall seeing here was that Cleveland just got to choose between the two. Some of us, I have to say, hoped fervently that the Indians would take Green. No disrespect to him, because I also hoped fervently at a lot of points that the Brewers would give him some kind of real shot. But a lot of smart people (really smart, I'm not being snarky) badly underestimated Brantley.

To be fair, it took 'til 2013 -- the 5th season after the trade -- for Brantley to start showing much of anything meaningful at the MLB level. He didn't exceed a .750 OPS until 2014, when he finally showed he'd become a pretty complete player..... That's SIX years after the trade (incidentally, 2 years longer than it took Lorenzo Cain to do the same), which is a pretty long time given that he started '09 in AAA after being sent to Cleveland as the PTBNL.

I don't know that that many really underestimated Brantley. By that I mean that it took a darn long time for him to prove that first Milwaukee's and then Cleveland's faith in his potential was fully justified.

Has anyone read or heard anything from Stearns regarding any changes in pitcher development?

With all the talented young arms (many VERY young) I'm wondering what changes, if any, Stearns is making within the organization. Is he a believer in the Farm down in TX? Pitch counts, days off, arm slots, developing certain pitches? New person that will oversee pitching development? I could go on, there's so much to this. But I haven't seen any info on this since Stearns arrived.

Nothing specific to pitching, but here is a timely article about player development in general. I don't know how Flanagan will do, but I think replacing Reid Nichols will be one of Stearns most important front office moves.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/brewers-want-minor-leaguers-to-get-plenty-of-attention-b99663144z1-367431181.html

The most detailed version I heard of this story, which somebody posted here well after the fact (I'm sorry my memory isn't better), was that the teams agreed that the Indians would get Brantley if we made the playoffs and Green if we didn't. I have no idea whether that's accurate.

Yes, that is exactly what happened.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That seems like a strange reason to decide on a player.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

...At the time, the information I recall seeing here was that Cleveland just got to choose between the two. Some of us, I have to say, hoped fervently that the Indians would take Green. No disrespect to him, because I also hoped fervently at a lot of points that the Brewers would give him some kind of real shot. But a lot of smart people (really smart, I'm not being snarky) badly underestimated Brantley.

To be fair, it took 'til 2013 -- the 5th season after the trade -- for Brantley to start showing much of anything meaningful at the MLB level. He didn't exceed a .750 OPS until 2014, when he finally showed he'd become a pretty complete player..... That's SIX years after the trade (incidentally, 2 years longer than it took Lorenzo Cain to do the same), which is a pretty long time given that he started '09 in AAA after being sent to Cleveland as the PTBNL.

I don't know that that many really underestimated Brantley. By that I mean that it took a darn long time for him to prove that first Milwaukee's and then Cleveland's faith in his potential was fully justified.

He peaked at age 27 just like most players. If someone said "I believe in this guy's talent, but he's going to take to long to develop for him to be useful to us," that's not underestimating him. But a fair number of people said "He'll never hit enough to hold a job." That's underestimating him. Either way, hoping to keep Green rather than Brantley manifestly amounts to underestimating Brantley, because he became a player and Green didn't.

I confess that defending Brantley is like a trip down memory lane. Those were good times. I'll stop indulging in nostalgia now.

Stearns . . . seriously, I could not be happier with this guy. Trading tradeable assets, shooting for upside, diversifying the ages and skills of players he's bringing in, emphasizing secondary offense and pitching command, grabbing guys who are there to grab because their teams don't have room for them . . . I can't see a foot that he's set wrong so far. This seems like an incredibly sound rebuilding strategy.

BTW, this needs to be said occasionally: Doug Melvin had one hell of a fine 2015, at least from the perspective of this moment in time. He traded everybody who wasn't nailed down, every trade helped the rebuild, and he presided over (I know, didn't run) what looks like a hell of a draft. I'm glad we have Stearns, but DM deserves great credit for what he did on his way out the door.

BTW, this needs to be said occasionally: Doug Melvin had one hell of a fine 2015, at least from the perspective of this moment in time. He traded everybody who wasn't nailed down, every trade helped the rebuild, and he presided over (I know, didn't run) what looks like a hell of a draft. I'm glad we have Stearns, but DM deserves great credit for what he did on his way out the door.

And for getting us our first winning seasons in forever and to the post season for the first time in 26 seasons and two games away from a World Series. DM did a lot of really good things for the Brewers organization. Did he get us to the top of the mountain? No but he gave a hell of an effort to. Much respect and glad he was kept in the fold.

Anyone think there was any conspiracy going down between the Astros and Brewers last season with the trade and then Stearns coming to MKE? Seems almost too good to be true with that trade and then getting this guy to run the show.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That seems like a strange reason to decide on a player.

In baseball, yes, but the NBA and NFL make trades that are conditional on how one of the teams performs all the time.

Anyone think there was any conspiracy going down between the Astros and Brewers last season with the trade and then Stearns coming to MKE? Seems almost too good to be true with that trade and then getting this guy to run the show.

I'm not a big conspiracy guy, but I'll admit I've been thinking about it. Now that some time has past, the dust has settled, that trade looks even better. Three young pitchers, but not too young to be lottery ticket types. One who could be a #5 type SP, the other two have an even higher upside. A young OF with options who has a real chance to be an every day player, and oh yea, another OF who's ceiling is an All-Star. That's a huge haul for Fiers and Gomez.

I'm not a big conspiracy guy, but I'll admit I've been thinking about it. Now that some time has past, the dust has settled, that trade looks even better. Three young pitchers, but not too young to be lottery ticket types. One who could be a #5 type SP, the other two have an even higher upside. A young OF with options who has a real chance to be an every day player, and oh yea, another OF who's ceiling is an All-Star. That's a huge haul for Fiers and Gomez.

He was the assistant GM, he didn't have the final say. Luhnow is a smart baseball man and wouldn't make a trade that he didn't think was a good idea. I also would guess that Stearns had no idea he would be the brewers gm when this trade was made. i don't think there is anything to see here.

If the brewers made a bad trade with a team that Arnold became the GM of in the following offseason, I would blame Stearns and ownership and not calling a conspiracy.

There were only two pitchers: Houser & Hader. Who were you thinking was the 3rd?

There were only two pitchers: Houser & Hader. Who were you thinking was the 3rd?

Davies, who I now realize was the Parra deal. With all the moves completed and still coming, this will not be my last time I get mixed up!

Don't forget his biggest move in stepping down because he knew it was best for the organization. Attanasio most likely would have stuck with him if Melvin was willing. He saw the Brewers going into a rebuild, saw he wasn't going to be around to finish it, and decided to pass it on for someone who could see it start to end.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm not sure how Attanasio was stuck with DM. I'm sure DM knew his options and going out "quietly" while remaining part of the organization was a better option than being flat fired. I'm not saying Mark would've fired DM, but its certainly an option. And if both of them knew DM wasn't going to be around for the entire rebuild, then that really only makes sense to start with someone who would be.

The MLB team is probably going to be a dumpster fire but man Stearns sure is making the minor leagues fun to follow. Really building up the anticipation for when these kids hit the bigs similar to the type when Fielder/Braun/Weeks were coming up. Stearns is even getting MILB talent all the way from Rookie League to AAA so hopefully the Brewers can count on an infusion of young talent year after year after year. Brewers have very legitimate prospects at every level going into 2016 which is something that hasn't been the case for a while.

Archived