Brewer Fanatic

David Stearns named Milwaukee's new GM

markedman5

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doug Melvin steps down as GM; moves into advisory role

I'm a big fan of the Analytic movement. You look at Theo Epstein and Jeff Luhnow have done, and that's with simply playing high school baseball, going off to school and grad school, entering business world, then knowing someone to get your foot in door in baseball. Luhnow did great things in St. Louis based around analytics and has continue with Houston.

One guy who is very interesting is Luhnows 30 year old assistant GM. Very impressive background!David Stearns!

"The 2015 season will mark David Stearns' third with the Houston Astros. In his current role, David, 30, assists General Manager Jeff Luhnow in all baseball operations capacities including player evaluations, player transactions, and contract negotiations and helps oversee the Astros' scouting, player development, and analytics departments.

Prior to joining the Astros, David served as the Director of Baseball Operations for the Cleveland Indians from 2011-2012. Stearns spent 2008-11 working in the MLB Office of the Commissioner, where he most recently held the position of Manager, Labor Relations. In that role, he assisted in the salary arbitration process, handling uniform player contracts and was a member of MLB's negotiating team for the recently completed Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Before joining the MLB Central Office, David worked in the Baseball Operations Departments of the New York Mets, Pittsburgh Pirates and the Arizona Fall League. He is a 2007 graduate of Harvard University."

I think you need to look at some of those young, smart, guys who have worked ways up for franchises who are being built the right way. To me that's St. Louis, Houston, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Giants, Blue Jays (they have had strong system that has allowed them to be aggressive) Rays, Cubs, Rangers and a few others.

What I don't want is a AJ Prellar who is an analytic guy who was prided on play development who then becomes GM sells off whole farm system to try to be George Steinbrenner....

Looks like Mark has read the forum and is on same page as me!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is he the executive to be named later in the Gomez/Fiers deal?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yes, totally love this. The Astros have gone about it the right way, and reaping the benefits of it. I think he has a great opportunity to build the Brewers into perennial contenders. Go with young guys, give them experience, draft well and create an up and down the line mentality throughout the system.

Indeed, he does look like Braun.

I like the move. We'll see how magnetic he is, bringing in past colleagues, and how he is at judging the Brewers scouting and leadership talent.

And we'll see how he is at working with Attanasio.

All of that is a lot, but his pedigree is strong, and I have only heard good things about him.

I just hope he knows how to change his password.

Came to post, LOL

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Stearns, 30, is a 2007 graduate of Harvard University. According to his bio on the Astros' website, he "assists general manager Jeff Luhnow in all baseball operations capacities including player evaluations, player transactions, and contract negotiations and helps oversee the Astros' scouting, player development, and analytics departments."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/328435641.html

I wonder what he had to say about the trades for Gomez/Fiers and Gattis, because it appears so far that the Astros overpaid in both of those trades.

wouldn't that be a Lunow decision? i hope that is asked tomorrow though

By the way, officially His duties in Houston included player evaluations and contract negotiations, and he also helped oversee the Astros' scouting, player development and analytics departments, so i am not sure how much input he had in the trade.

Archived