Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Saturday 9/19 - Southern League Championship Series, Critical Game Three in Chattanooga

Mass Haas

Biloxi: RHP Tyler Wagner at Chattanooga (Twins), 6:00 PM pre-game, 6:15 gametime; Game Three of a Best-of-Five Championship Series; Series tied at 1-1

Free Live Audio Link

MiLB.TV - Unfortunately, Chattanooga does not participate.

Box Score / Game Log / Game Day Link

Biloxi Media Notes - Linked by late-afternoon today at the Shuck Dynasty blog

Weather forecast:

Chattanooga, TN

Shutout by Wagner/Barrios. Anyone else taken by the role reversal where the Twins' affiliate has all the sluggers and the Brewers' affiliate is more well rounded? I hope Hader comes through tomorrow because I really don't like the matchup with an overrested Jorge Ortega against this Lookouts team.

Shutout by Wagner/Barrios. Anyone else taken by the role reversal where the Twins' affiliate has all the sluggers and the Brewers' affiliate is more well rounded? I hope Hader comes through tomorrow because I really don't like the matchup with an overrested Jorge Ortega against this Lookouts team.

Skip Ortega, go Lopez. With day off, it's his regular day I believe. That's his true Ace moment! Unless he is replacing Nelson next start. But in end, hope my boy Hader gets it done!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Final: Biloxi 2, Chattanooga 0

Wagner, Barrios shutout Lookouts and give Shuckers 2-1 series advantage

Tyler Wagner and Yhonathan Barrios combined for the shutout in game three

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/2/1/0/150603210/cuts/Barrios919_2p13hguq_aubor2nf.jpg

Yhonathan Barrios earned his second postseason save and went 2.1 innings behind Wagner on Saturday night (John Shadrick)

CHATTANOOGA, TN – The Biloxi Shuckers moved one game closer to finishing off a remarkable, inaugural season with a 2-0 shutout over the Chattanooga Lookouts in game three of the BC Powder’s Southern League Championship Series on Saturday night at AT&T Field. The 1,783 on hand, which included a loud contingent of Shuckers fans witnessed the club improve to 5-1 this postseason, needing just one more victory in order to claim the league title.

The Shuckers won despite going 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position and stranding 12 on base, which included the bases loaded twice. Game four is at 1:15 pm CT on Sunday afternoon at AT&T Field.

Biloxi (2-1) jumped out to a quick lead in the first thanks to the table setters at the top of the lineup. Yadiel Rivera (3x4, 2 R, 2B) started the game with a single and moved over to third on Nick Shaw’s (1x4, 2B) double into the right-field corner. After Orlando Arcia (0x4, BB) popped up to first base, Michael Reed (1x2, RBI, 2 BB) smashed a sacrifice fly to deep center, allowing Rivera to score for the 1-0 lead.

The Shuckers squandered a scoring chance in the fourth by leaving the bases loaded, but would break through to extend the lead in the fifth. Rivera doubled to start the frame and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Shaw. Arcia was intentionally walked to put runners on the corners, and ended then night for Chattanooga (1-2) starter Greg Peavey.

Reed was the first batter to face off against DJ Johnson and drew a five-pitch walk against the reliever to load the bases for Josh Fellhauer (0x3, BB). The Shuckers’ designated hitter hit a slow roller to short and beat out a potential double play, allowing Rivera to score the insurance run.

The two-run cushion would be plenty of support for Tyler Wagner (2-0), who continued his dominance in the postseason by shutting out the Lookouts over his 6.2 innings of work, striking out eight and walking just one while giving up six hits on 109 pitches – 70 for strikes.

In two postseason starts, the 24-year-old, Las Vegas native did not allow a run over 12.2 innings, struck out 15, walked five and gave up nine base hits. Wagner’s total ERA – including the playoffs – sits at 2.07 over 165 innings with the Shuckers. The former Utah Ute has not allowed a run in three Double-A postseason starts over 18.2 innings which includes two outings at AT&T Field.

The right-hander would give way to the bullpen with two outs in the seventh and runners at the corners for Yhonathan Barrios (SV, 2).

The 23-year-old from Cartagena, Colombia walked the first batter he faced in Stephen Wickens to load the bases, but got Jorge Polanco to pop out to short to escape the jam.

Barrios gave up a one-out double in the eighth to Travis Harrison, but struck out DJ Hicks and got Adam Brett Walker II to fly out to right to leave the runner stranded. Another one-out base runner reached in the ninth, but Barrios dug in and struck out Shannon Wilkerson and got Wickens to bounce out to Arcia at short to preserve the game three victory.

Clutch hitting eluded both teams in the game-three matchup, as the squads combined to go 1-for-21 with runners in scoring position

Biloxi will look to take home the Southern League Championship in game four on Sunday afternoon at AT&T Field. LHP Josh Hader (1-4, 2.79) will make his first career start against Chattanooga after facing them in a relief appearance in game one. LHP David Hurlbut (11-6, 3.59) takes the mound for the Lookouts in the elimination game. First pitch is scheduled for 1:15 p.m., with coverage beginning at 1:00 p.m. on 1240-AM WGCM, 1580-AM WPMO and the Biloxi Shuckers Radio Network. Fans can also listen to the game using the TuneIn Radio app or by going to http://www.biloxishuckers.com.

Biloxi Box Score

Biloxi Game Log

Skip Ortega, go Lopez. With day off, it's his regular day I believe. That's his true Ace moment! Unless he is replacing Nelson next start. But in end, hope my boy Hader gets it done!

Pretty much this. Hader hopefully gets it done but if not Lopez should decide the fate of this team, not a guy that was in A ball most of the year.

Wagner puts Shuckers one win from title

Brewers prospect pitches 6 2/3 shutout innings in Game 3 of Finals

By Guy Curtright / Special to MiLB.com

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/7/6/0/150617760/cuts/wagner960a_3f80qalj_64p8x003.jpg

Tyler Wagner has given up nine hits over 12 2/3 scoreless innings in two playoff starts. (Brian McLeod/MiLB.com)

CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee -- Tyler Wagner didn't fare well in his fill-in start for the Milwaukee Brewers on May 31 and lost four of five decisions after returning to Biloxi.

The 24-year-old right-hander hasn't lost since, however. And on Saturday, he pitched the Shuckers to within a win of the Southern League title in their inaugural season.

Wagner, the Brewers' No. 15 prospect, won his seventh straight decision and second in the playoffs, as Biloxi beat Chattanooga, 2-0, to grab a 2-1 lead in the best-of-5 Championship Series.

"He's a bulldog, man," Shuckers left fielder Tyrone Taylor said. "Every time he goes out on the mound we have complete confidence in him to do his thing. And he did it again tonight."

Wagner (2-0) blanked the Lookouts -- the league's top offensive team -- on six hits and a walk while striking out eight over 6 2/3 innings. It was the second straight scoreless outing for the former University of Utah reliever, who pitched six innings against Pensacola to complete Biloxi's sweep in the opening round.

"I was focused in," said Wagner, a 2012 fourth-round pick. "This was a crucial game and I didn't want to let anyone down. I was definitely up for it. Everything works off fastball command, and it was there for me tonight."

After splitting the first two games at home, the Shuckers can wrap the series on Sunday afternoon with another win at AT&T Field.

Left-hander Josh Hader, who came to the Milwaukee organization at the end of July as part of the Carlos Gomez trade, will get the start for Biloxi with a loud contingent of Shuckers fans rooting him on.

Biloxi had to play its first 54 games on the road as MGM Park was being completed, but won the South Division first-half title anyway. Now it's a victory away from taking it all.

"This has been a special season," said Wagner, who went 11-5 with a league-leading 2.25 ERA during the regular season. "Now we want to finish it off."

"Everything we went through with the long road trip makes this all better," added Taylor, who was 3-for-3 with a walk and is batting .429 in the playoffs.

Chattanooga had plenty of opportunities against Wagner and reliever Yhonathan Barrios but went 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left 10 on base. Barrios worked 2 2/3 innings for his second postseason save, allowing two hits and a walk while striking out two.

The walk came immediately after the 23-year-old right-hander relieved Wagner and loaded the bases. But Barrios retired Twins No. 4 prospect Jorge Polanco on a popup to end that threat, then stranded a runner in each of the final two innings.

Taylor finished the regular season in a 1-for-16 funk, but the Brewers' fourth-ranked prospect has bounced back in the playoffs.

"It's big-time that I could contribute for my team now, when it counts the most," said the 21-year-old outfielder, who was a second-round pick in the 2012 Draft. "But we're still taking it one game at a time. We still have a win to go."

Third baseman Yadiel Rivera scored both runs for Biloxi, going 3-for-4 to raise his postseason average to .407.

Chattanooga starter Greg Peavey pitched six scoreless innings against Montgomery in the semifinals, but he worked in and out of trouble against Biloxi before being pulled with two on and one out in the fifth. He gave up two runs on six hits and three walks while fanning one.

Michael Reed lifted a sacrifice fly in the first to give Wagner the only run he needed. Rivera doubled in the fifth and came home on a fielder's choice grounder by Josh Fellhauer.

Lookouts manager Doug Mientkiewicz didn't last much longer than Peavey. He was ejected by home plate umpire Blake Carnahan after arguing that Rivera hadn't been hit by a pitch in the sixth. Mientkiewicz headed back to the dugout after the argument but was tossed from there. That provoked a return, with the manager firing down his hat.

Travis Harrison was 3-for-3 with a walk for Chattanooga.

Nice photo gallery via Billy Weeks — Special to the Biloxi Sun Herald includes this shot:

http://media.sunherald.com/smedia/2015/09/19/23/55/bo94G.AuSt.77.jpg

Biloxi Shuckers pitcher (25) Yhonathan Barrios raises his hands after the last out in game 3 of the Southern League Championship Series played at ATT Field in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The Shuckers won 2-0. Saturday, Sept. 19th, 2015.

I went to the game last night and here are a few take aways....

1.Yady might be our 3B of the future. Great fielding with not a lot of power, I can live with that. He made a great play with a man at third and less than two outs field a ball next to the bad, almost tagging the runner out then throwing the hitter out...it was very impressive.

2.Berrios has great stuff and is still learning how to pitch. Two plus innings of plus 95 mph fastballs. Once (if) he figures out to pitch, we will have a powerful closer.

3.Tyler Wagner reminds me of Cravy. A pitcher first with a number of different pitches. Seems like his best days are ahead of him.

4.The Shuckers should have won this going away. I was just waiting for the big inning. Our young hitters are not afraid to take a walk, which was kind of frustrating when they were not plated.

One to go, go Shuckers!

Archived