Brewer Fanatic

Tex is out; Lind to Yankees?

DHonks
With Mark Texeira out for the season and the Yankees wanting to make a run in the post-season, I hope we're considering trying to get whatever we can from them for Lind. His contract status in '16, affordability, and productivity would make him a good fit.

Why the anxiousness to trade Lind? Is the system still that devoid of talent?

Look, they are scheduled to play in 2016, and it would help the RH bats they have including Santana to have a LH power bat in the mix. Considering the return for Parra at this year's deadline, I pretty certain they can turn Lind into a nice player next year.

Besides until the new GM is named, I don't foresee any major moves.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why the anxiousness to trade Lind? Is the system still that devoid of talent?

Look, they are scheduled to play in 2016, and it would help the RH bats they have including Santana to have a LH power bat in the mix. Considering the return for Parra at this year's deadline, I pretty certain they can turn Lind into a nice player next year.

Besides until the new GM is named, I don't foresee any major moves.

There is a (IMO) strange belief that our logjam of outfielders will diminish the return we'll get on Lind because other GM's will see it as "the Brewers HAVE TO TRADE LIND!!!"

The return the Brewers will get on Lind will be commensurate with Lind's value as a player and his contract, and nothing more. Other teams won't care whether the Brewers "have to trade" Lind or not.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why the anxiousness to trade Lind?

Because he's 32 and in the final year of his contract. Pretty simple.

And he's been injury prone in his career.

I'm not saying to move the guy for crap, but he's at peak value this off season.

If Milwaukee was a contender next year, I'd be all for keeping the guy. But I don't think that's realistic. So see what he can fetch. Position players often are most attractive in the off season, when teams lose players to free agency, when teams clear salary off the books, and when many clubs are looking to retool to contend the next season. A team such as Boston, for instance, wouldn't probably have wanted a guy like Lind two months ago because they knew they were out of the playoff race. But this off season might be a different story (not that they'd want Lind - just an example of how a team can be a non-contender during the season, but a potential contender a few months later).

I understand the argument to keep the guy - people want to put the best team on the field. Lind is our best option at 1B. It all comes down to opinions of whether Milwaukee could 'contend' next year (everyone's definition of contending is different). Personally, I think if everything went well next year, we could sniff .500. To me, that's not contending. Thus you move Lind when the right offer comes along. He's a free agent after next year, so he's not part of long term solution to make us a winner.

Lind will be coming off a very good year, and I happen to think a Clark/Rogers platoon could out-produce him at a fraction of the cost, while adding prospect(s) to the system.

Lind is OPS'ing in the mid-800's and over 900 against RHP. I'm all for trading him but a Clark/Rogers platoon out producing him is highly unlikely.

Archived