Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim OF Daniel Fields from Detroit

jerichoholicninja

Underwhelming offensive numbers in AAA.

That's why his name is "Fields."

yeah tell that to Prince Fielder.

Fields is worth taking a shot at to see if he develops. Lefty bat and he has plus speed. I like that he draws walks. He's only 24. He might be a longshot but he can provide depth in the OF if he can hit a little more. He's had at least one pretty good season: .284/.356 in AA Ball in 2013, that makes him worth taking a shot st

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

would you put fields as a better prospect than Kyle Wren? both LH and both 24, both light hitting CFs with similar numbers at each spot. just at a stat glance, it looks like Wren is faster with higher BAs and Fields is more patient with a bit more power.

where would he rank in your brewers prospect rankings?

Everything I have seen indicates Fields can't play center in MLB which reduces his prospect ranking. Definitely would put Wren over him. Fields was the Tigers 26th ranked prospect in a bad system. Also a bad arm so pretty much restricted to LF. The Brewers already have one of those and he is much better.

Strikes out a lot and doesn't hit for much power. Not a great combination for a corner of. Takes some walks but that may more be because he has trouble putting balls in play and gets deep in counts as a result that it says about him have a great eye at the plate. Odd move in my opinion. Yes they are short LH OF bats in high minors but this guy? Doubt he survives on the 40 man this winter.

Nothing to lose but perhaps another player if they decide to keep him on the 40 man in the off season. Kind of an odd quote from Gord Ash on JSonline:

"As I told him on the phone, this is more about next year than it is about right now," Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash said. "He has an option remaining for next year and we don't have a lot of outfield depth (at the top of the farm system), so this gives us another piece.

It sure sounds like they want to keep him on the roster and I don't know where he is coming from when talking about outfield depth. Probably have Reed/Wren/Phillips at AAA next year and perhaps even Roache.

"Top of the farm system" could mean AA as well. No OF at Brevard has really deserved to get promoted. Coulter could easily start 2016 back in Brevard, and even if Roache stays at Biloxi their OF would be Taylor, Roache, and... ?

That being said, I think there are better uses for that 40-man spot so this could be just an audition and then outright him after the Biloxi season ends, assuming he hasn't been outrighted yet.

Seems odd to sign another light hitting OF, when there's plenty of OF options available already in AAA/AA. Then again Perez was a big yawn at the time, and has actually been a serviceable player. As others have said, nothing to lose I guess.

But Perez had put up good (not great) numbers in the high minors more than once and had debuted in the majors at 21 so he was pretty highly regarded. Fields had one solid year at AA in 2013, but nothing before or since to say he was a future major league player.

Archived