Brewer Fanatic

Very early projections for 2016 rosters

And That

First time I've done this in a few years (5? 10?), but as excitement in the minor leagues is starting to reach an apex again, thought I'd post projections on 2016 rosters for the Brewers. This is using current players only, eliminating any free agents (except for Yhonathan Barrios, who is a virtual lock to be either re-signed or added to the 40-man). This isn't a prediction so much as a projection of, if the 2016 season started tomorrow, this might be what the rosters would look like. In the case of guys like Centeno, Ashley, Clark, Hellweg, and Schafer, I acknowledge that there is a not-small chance that they won't be with the team next year. However, they aren't gone yet, so they stay in the projection.

I believe the only players who are currently in full season ball and are under contract for next year who are not listed on a full season roster below are Steven Halcomb, Nick Shaw, Paul Eshleman, Michael Ratterree, Mitch Meyer, and Omar Cotto. I don't think Halcomb, Shaw, Eshleman, Ratterree, or Meyer did enough this year to come back next year without some injuries to other guys, and Cotto is squeezed by the glut of OF prospect in Wisconsin. I also left out Tanner Poppe, who was on Biloxi's Temp Inactive list for the final five months of the season. There is obviously a lot of room for debate as to which players should end up playing for which team, and also obviously there will be some roster turnover and new faces by the time next spring roles around.

I stuck with a 12 batter/13 pitcher construction for each team.

MLB:

Catcher: J. Lucroy, M. Maldonado

First Base: A. Lind, J Rogers

Second Base: S. Gennett

Shortstop: J. Segura

Third Base: H. Perez

Left Field: K. Davis

Center Field: D. Santana, Sh. Peterson

Right Field: R. Braun

Utility: E. Herrera

RHSP: M. Garza, Z. Davies, W. Peralta, T. Jungmann, J. Nelson

LHSP: None

RHRP: T. Thornburg, J. Jeffress, C. Knebel, M. Blazek, A. Pena, F. Rodriguez

LHRP: C. Jimenez, W. Smith

AAA:

Catcher: N. Ashley, J. Centeno

First Base: M. Clark, N. Ramirez

Second Base: L. Sardinas

Shortstop: O. Arcia

Third Base: N. Orf

Left Field: K. Wren

Center Field: M. Phillips, L. Schafer

Right Field: M. Reed

Utility: B. Macias

RHSP: A. Houser, J. Lopez, T. Wagner

LHSP: B. Suter, J. Hader

RHRP: A. Ross, D. Goforth, T. Cravy, D. Gagnon, J. Barnes, Y. Barrios, D. Magnifico

LHRP: M. Strong

AA:

Catcher: A. Weisenburger, P. Berberet, R. Neda

First Base: G. Cooper

Second Base: C. McFarland

Shortstop: Y. Rivera

Third Base: T. Brennan

Left Field: V. Roache

Center Field: T. Taylor, O. Garcia

Right Field: C. Coulter

Utility: B. Allemand

RHSP: J. Salas, J. Ortega, B. Woodruff

LHSP: H. Johnson, W. Wang

RHRP: M. Viramontes, B. Hall. J. Hellweg, T. Archer, P. Gainey

LHRP: J. Bradley, St. Peterson, T. Seidenberger

A+:

Catcher: D. Houle, C. Leal, G. McCall

First Base: A. Sharkey

Second Base: G. Iskenderian

Shortstop: A. Ortega

Third Base: S. Matos

Left Field: E. Rubio

Center Field: B. Diaz

Right Field: J. Pena

Utility: D. DeMuth, F. Castillo

RHSP: C. Sneed, A. Ventura, D. Williams, C. Ponce

LHSP: C. Terry, Z. Hirsch

RHRP: K. Earls, T. Spurlin, Z. Cooper, L. Curtis, S. Leiser, G. Rizzo

LHRP: T. Linehan

A:

Catcher: M. Ghelfi, N. Mejia

First Base: D. Denson, S. Karkenny

Second Base: T. Neuhaus

Shortstop: J. Gatewood

Third Base: J. Cuas

Left Field: M. Collymore

Center Field: M. Harrison

Right Field: T. Clark, C. Belonis

Utility: L. Aviles

RHSP: D. Burkhalter, E. Hanhold, J. Perrin, M. Diplan, C. Harber

LHSP: J. Drossner, C. Trent, K. Medeiros

RHRP: J. Uhen, J. Olczak

LHRP: L. Ortega, B. Kuntz, Q. Torres-Costa

RHSP: A. Houser, J. Lopez, T. Wagner

LHSP: B. Suter, J. Hader

that is straight OMG level awesome in my opinion

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I think that between his age and performance that Roache has done enough for a promotion to AAA to start. There are a number of different ways his career could play out, but his best chance to play in Milwaukee comes by showing he can hit sooner rather than later.

Roache is already so prone to swinging and missing that I'd rather he stay in a more neutral offensive environment. I worry that if he's promoted to Colorado Springs too soon, he'll develop habits that'll work for hitting the ball a mile in the thin air, but would be counterproductive in AA, or in Milwaukee. Sort of like the Home Run Derby syndrome where guys change their approach to hit more balls out of the park and then can't get their normal swings back right away.

Medeiros was pretty mediocre, especially if you remove his first outing of the year. K rate is very good, but no harm in letting him begin the season in Wisc and earn a promotion.

Nice work here And That! Obviously things change, but I bet it ends up very close to this.

Nice job, And That. One of the last Manatee games, Dave Walkovic and Jerry Durney were speculating about some of this, mainly of course how it might affect the Manatees. One of their points was that McFarland and Angel Ortega have always been kept together as a combination and they thought the Brewers would continue that. It was an open question whether or not they would be promoted. Also, they thought there was a decent chance Clint Coulter would be back, comparing his situation to that of Victor Roache a year before.

Personally, I think Sardinas will make the Brewers as the platoon guy with Gennett and occasional shortstop. Rivera then to AAA. Kind of on the fence on Neuhaus also. He may start at Wisconsin and be moved up if he shows improved hitting.

The Brewers have a bit of a starting pitcher logjam. If Medeiros earns it, he would take priority over Terry/Hirsch, but neither of those guys has earned a demotion, and there's not much room in Biloxi, and no room in Colorado springs. By my count and barring injury, there are 13 pitchers locked into starting roles in A+/AA/AAA without Medeiros. Besides Terry/Hirsch, Hobbs Johnson has been pretty awful in Biloxi the second half of this season and might be injured and/or switched to relief, but those three guys are about all the room Medeiros has to move up. My point being, unless Medeiros really earns it, there's not only no need to rush him, he might be squeezing another deserving starter out and into the bullpen. Medeiros has a lot of work to do in terms of control, and another year or half year at Wisconsin would not hurt or stunt his development.

Not wishing releases on anyone, but these were the releases of players above rookie ball that took place at the end of last season --

Heckathorn , Kyle 2014-12-17 Released Colorado Springs

Moye , Andy 2014-12-17 Released Biloxi

Sermo , Jose 2014-11-12 Released Brevard Co

Hopkins , Greg 2014-11-12 Released Brevard Co

Vucinich , Shea 2014-11-12 Released Biloxi

Prince , Josh 2014-11-12 Released Biloxi

Notice these did not take place until November.

We'll see what happens later this fall...

Side note that if Medeiros and Torres-Costa wind up on the same roster, the T-Rats are more or less obligated to have a Hawaiian Luau themed night.

If Medeiros, Torres-Costa, and Yamamoto all end up on the same roster, guessing that would be a record for most Hawaiians on a roster in baseball history.

Any thoughts if Neuhaus will be more of a utility guy or they will leave him at 3rd,i seen he played a lot of second base.

TheCrew07 has commented a number of times regarding how Neuhaus looks a lot better defensively at second than third. Guessing it's going to be a permanent switch to second, with the possibility of playing third and short if needed.

Kind of on the fence on Neuhaus also. He may start at Wisconsin and be moved up if he shows improved hitting.

My thought was that the Brewers might want to develop a core of players together in Wisconsin. To that end, they might even bring Matos back. Neuhaus is also still just 20, so in repeating Wisconsin he would still be young for the league.

On the flip side, Brevard has a chance to have one of the worst producing offenses the Brewers have ever put on the field for a full season minor league team. If they're going to win a lot of games, the pitching staff is going to have to post a lot of zeros. Houle, Leal, and Pray for a Squall?

Thanks for the work. This is fun. To echo two points others have made that jump out at me: (1) The AAA pitching staff is utterly loaded. (We'll have to make sure nobody gets irreparably damaged by Colorado Springs.) (2) I have to think the Brewers will part ways with Herrera, keep Sardinas as a MLB utility guy, and play Rivera at 2b in AAA.

Kind of on the fence on Neuhaus also. He may start at Wisconsin and be moved up if he shows improved hitting.

My thought was that the Brewers might want to develop a core of players together in Wisconsin. To that end, they might even bring Matos back. Neuhaus is also still just 20, so in repeating Wisconsin he would still be young for the league.

On the flip side, Brevard has a chance to have one of the worst producing offenses the Brewers have ever put on the field for a full season minor league team. If they're going to win a lot of games, the pitching staff is going to have to post a lot of zeros. Houle, Leal, and Pray for a Squall?

I was thinking the same with Tucker. He is so young and they are building a core. Let him come back and take that McFarland type offensive leap in 2nd stint. One thing he does have going for him and his ticket right now is his outstanding defense at both 2b & 3b. I would keep him moving around. As of right I think he projects more of a utility player at MLB level.

Think with probable new front office staff, Weisenberg will finally get to AAA with Houle in AA, and Leal in BC. Think the days of Brewers refusing to promote catchers because they only want AAAA catchers at AAA are over. They have been surprisingly aggressive with Houle this season and he continues to preform. Not to mention you can't have your top 2 catching prospects and offensive bats having to battle for ABs and time behind the plate. A healthy Houle could become a real prospect for us.

BC is going to struggle, gets death for hitters already so having underachieving bats to begin with won't help. Diaz will have a good season I believe & Alan Sharky is a sleep! His average has never been there really but high OBP guy who play outstanding defense. I completely agree that Iskenderian will skip A ball. I'm very high on him. I could also see Collymore or Belonis skipping over Wisconsin. Really with Harrison, Clark, Stokes pretty much locks, that really only leaves 1 spot for those two guys to be able to play almost every day.

Denson or Kerkenny could end up in A+ as well. I think Denson fits more of the core player to keep in Wisconsin playing everyday to build around.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ha! My 2016 WI 'rattlers thread got "the itch" going, didn't it? :) Of course, you are, as always, far more complete than I did.

RHSP: A. Houser, J. Lopez, T. Wagner LHSP: B. Suter, J. Hader

Awesome to see prospect wise, and impressive pitching depth for the MLB to boot.

Center Field: M. Phillips

I'm embarrassed to admit that I was looking for B. Phillips. I should know better.

Third Base: N. Orf

Sleeper 3B of future?

RHSP: J. Salas, J. Ortega, B. Woodruff LHSP: H. Johnson, W. Wang

Sneed has to take one of these guys' spot...

Center Field: M. Harrison

Right Field: T. Clark

I figured these would be reversed. Harrison is touted for athleticism, but has it translated to defense? Anyone with first hand knowledge?

All the pitching staffs are interesting. That is quite a turn-around from previous years. And to think that Williams and Kirby (top 25 candidates) aren't in those lists for next year.

From reports I've read, Harrison has more range, a better arm, and is generally thought to be able to stick in center. Most of the predraft stuff seemed to indicate Clark was more likely a corner OF long term. Hence some trepidation about his bat (and power potential) being good enough to play at a corner OF level. I have no doubt Clark will play some CF next year and it could be similar to what the Brewers did with Rivera and Arcia last year in Brevard, when they alternated those players between second and short.

The Brewers have a bit of a starting pitcher logjam. If Medeiros earns it, he would take priority over Terry/Hirsch, but neither of those guys has earned a demotion, and there's not much room in Biloxi, and no room in Colorado springs. By my count and barring injury, there are 13 pitchers locked into starting roles in A+/AA/AAA without Medeiros. Besides Terry/Hirsch, Hobbs Johnson has been pretty awful in Biloxi the second half of this season and might be injured and/or switched to relief, but those three guys are about all the room Medeiros has to move up. My point being, unless Medeiros really earns it, there's not only no need to rush him, he might be squeezing another deserving starter out and into the bullpen. Medeiros has a lot of work to do in terms of control, and another year or half year at Wisconsin would not hurt or stunt his development.

Most of those guys are not good enough prospects that they should be affecting how we handle Medeiros and his development. His BB/9 is not at all concerning for a teenager at A ball, and he had a fantastic season if you look past the ERA (which is relatively meaningless here anyways). He's too good of a pitching prospect to make him repeat a level just to work on "control" (compare Gallardo, just as a random example, who had a 3.8 BB/9 at A and was pushed up to A+/AA the next season - similar story for many top pitching prospects).

Archived