Hansen

Puk

Pint

Groom

Begner

Tyler

Jones

That's a way too early look

Offensively it's rough. There are two promising top 10 bats but both are OFs in Rutherford & Bsnks.... A big wait & see if some corner IF, Middle IF or catching prospects rise.

To hard to tell this early though. This time a couple years ago, it appeared Gatewood was a lock top 5 pick....

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good morning OP, the players have heard your request and have agreed to stop winning.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

To illustrate why there is actually a pretty big difference between drafting #3 or drafting #7, it doesn't help so much to look at success teams have had with those picks in the past, so much as how much money the Brewers get to spend as a result of receiving the pick this year. The more slot money you have, the better chance you have to sign really talented players who fall in the draft as a result of signability concerns. Furthermore, assuming ownership is willing to pony up the penalty money, teams can go 5% over their total slot value-based budget without forfeiting any future picks.

So while the talent may be somewhat of a crapshoot between picks 1 through 7, the money you get is not. Here are the 2015 draft slot values for the first seven picks, along with 105% of that amount to represent how much the team could spend based on that slot value, without forfeiting a future draft pick, and along with the decrease in value from the next highest slot value:

1. $8,616,900 ($9,047,745)

2. $7,420,100 ($7,791,105) | -$1,196,800 (-$1,256,640) / -13.89%

3. $6,223,300 ($6,534,465) | -$1,196,800 (-$1,256,640) / -16.13%

4. $5,026,500 ($5,277,825) | -$1,196,800 (-$1,256,640) / -19.23%

5. $4,188,700 ($4,398,135) | -$837,800 (-$879,690) / -16.67%

6. $3,889,500 ($4,083,975) | -$299,200 (-$314,160) / -7.14%

7. $3,590,400 ($3,769,920) | -$299,100 (-$314,055) / -7.69%

So going by last year's rates, the Brewers have picked up $565k in slot value money in the past two days. Philly and Atlanta have slots 1 and 2 more or less locked down, but if the Brewers could "get to" #3, that would be huge.

No matter what the situation, I hate the Brewers losing to the Cardinals. Hate, hate, hate it!!!!!

Have lost 28 of last 38 against them..... Us losing to the Cards is almost as certain as the sun coming up in the morning & the moon at night. I don't even hate it anymore....just numb to it

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Should also mention that the penalty for going up to 5% over your draft budget is a 75% tax on the overage. So for the 3rd slot, again based on this past draft, if the team were to use 5% over slot, the penalty to the team's owner would be $233,374. Not nothing, but you'd think an owner committed to rebuilding through the draft would be willing to pony up the money for the penalty.

Should also mention that the penalty for going up to 5% over your draft budget is a 75% tax on the overage. So for the 3rd slot, again based on this past draft, if the team were to use 5% over slot, the penalty to the team's owner would be $233,374. Not nothing, but you'd think an owner committed to rebuilding through the draft would be willing to pony up the money for the penalty.

Agree. We should have a low opening day MLB payroll next year, and I would far rather see them pay extra to get some potential stars in the draft rather than overpaying in free agency at the MLB level.

Additionally, I believe the international signing money is also dependent on how you finish, meaning that we would have a lot more money to spend in the international market with a worse finish this season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

To illustrate why there is actually a pretty big difference between drafting #3 or drafting #7, it doesn't help so much to look at success teams have had with those picks in the past, so much as how much money the Brewers get to spend as a result of receiving the pick this year. The more slot money you have, the better chance you have to sign really talented players who fall in the draft as a result of signability concerns.

I've mentioned this before and it pretty much fell on deaf ears. At this point, how could anyone not want the Brewers to lose as much as possible? Is it really going to make you feel better if the Brewers finish with 75 wins instead of 68? I'd much rather have the money for the draft next year than have a couple of meaningless wins.

To illustrate why there is actually a pretty big difference between drafting #3 or drafting #7, it doesn't help so much to look at success teams have had with those picks in the past, so much as how much money the Brewers get to spend as a result of receiving the pick this year. The more slot money you have, the better chance you have to sign really talented players who fall in the draft as a result of signability concerns.

I've mentioned this before and it pretty much fell on deaf ears. At this point, how could anyone not want the Brewers to lose as much as possible? Is it really going to make you feel better if the Brewers finish with 75 wins instead of 68? I'd much rather have the money for the draft next year than have a couple of meaningless wins.

It's a no-brainer for me. I want a successful future by any means it takes to get there. If that means we lose out, so be it. Losing to the Cards at this point just doesn't register with me. This is a lost season, so how far the Cardinals get just doesn't matter, at least I'll have someone to root against come play-off time. The Cards are the Cards, they pretty much own us, so winning a meaningless game or 2 to them is just getting in our way of a better future.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I just don't buy into the idea we will get back to winning by tanking a few games and getting a marginally higher pick next year. The chances of players drafted next season of making an impact in the next five years is slim to begin with. We can and should expect to be contenders again before then. I think guys learning how to play hard to the end, understand what it takes to win late in the season, knowing no matter what management is going to expect you to win every day has more impact on the group of players we can expect to be here to help turn this thing around as fast as possible.

I also think where we draft is far less important than who is drafting and how deep the draft is. So pencil me in as one of the people who want to win everyday. There just is never a good excuse for wanting to lose.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It will help the Brewers to lose and improve their draft position. It will also help if the players do well (young guys developing, old guys improving trade stock). It is hard to do both, but it would be great if they could manage it.

I think the last week or two have been close to ideal. They're in most games and competing (therefore individual players are doing ok) but finding a way to lose usually close games to help in the draft. What you don't want to see is what happened in April, that is just miserable as a fan to watch and would be a sign that almost no one is doing well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think guys learning how to play hard to the end, understand what it takes to win late in the season, knowing no matter what management is going to expect you to win every day has more impact on the group of players we can expect to be here to help turn this thing around as fast as possible.

Most of our future hope in the next 5 years is doing that at AA. :)

I think most people have extolled the virtues of their said (win or not to win, that is the question) over the last 6 pages. I'm not sure it needs to be rehashed anymore (This statement in general, not at Thurston, since I quoted his last post).

To illustrate why there is actually a pretty big difference between drafting #3 or drafting #7, it doesn't help so much to look at success teams have had with those picks in the past, so much as how much money the Brewers get to spend as a result of receiving the pick this year. The more slot money you have, the better chance you have to sign really talented players who fall in the draft as a result of signability concerns. Furthermore, assuming ownership is willing to pony up the penalty money, teams can go 5% over their total slot value-based budget without forfeiting any future picks.

So while the talent may be somewhat of a crapshoot between picks 1 through 7, the money you get is not. Here are the 2015 draft slot values for the first seven picks, along with 105% of that amount to represent how much the team could spend based on that slot value, without forfeiting a future draft pick, and along with the decrease in value from the next highest slot value:

1. $8,616,900 ($9,047,745)

2. $7,420,100 ($7,791,105) | -$1,196,800 (-$1,256,640) / -13.89%

3. $6,223,300 ($6,534,465) | -$1,196,800 (-$1,256,640) / -16.13%

4. $5,026,500 ($5,277,825) | -$1,196,800 (-$1,256,640) / -19.23%

5. $4,188,700 ($4,398,135) | -$837,800 (-$879,690) / -16.67%

6. $3,889,500 ($4,083,975) | -$299,200 (-$314,160) / -7.14%

7. $3,590,400 ($3,769,920) | -$299,100 (-$314,055) / -7.69%

So going by last year's rates, the Brewers have picked up $565k in slot value money in the past two days. Philly and Atlanta have slots 1 and 2 more or less locked down, but if the Brewers could "get to" #3, that would be huge.

This figure shows how a top 5 pick matters in money a lot more than 6th/7 with how much money the dropoff is. 4th would be perfect. 5mil roughly to your top choice as most signees go slot. You don't spend 6.2mil paying an added 1mil for most likely an equal talented player.

It's looking better that Milw picks 3rd-6th. Colorado/Miami should win more with who's recently come back from injuries. Cincy and Oakland are the battlers with us for 3rd and I don't know why Oak is there...oh maybe because they traded Donaldson away

And with last nights loss the brewers are in line 3rd overall

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

And with last nights loss the brewers are in line 3rd overall

If we can lose tonight or tomorrow - that should really set us up well for a good draft pick. 10 road games followed by a "home" series vs the Cubs which is a home game only by location

Archived