Brewer Fanatic

Can we stop winning please

Bombers

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope they win 75-80 games and break the hearts of the top 5'ers out there. Win baby, WIN!!!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This isn't the NBA draft. Any pick in top ten gives you a shot at getting a really good player and the number one pick isn't guaranteed to be a stud. I prefer that they stay hot to increase trade value for Braun, Luc, Lind, Segura, etc.

This isn't the NBA draft. Any pick in top ten gives you a shot at getting a really good player and the number one pick isn't guaranteed to be a stud. I prefer that they stay hot to increase trade value for Braun, Luc, Lind, Segura, etc.

This is absolutely correct. The MLB draft is regularly incredibly deep. Tanking makes sense if you're an NBA team, where finding legitimate talent outside of the top 8-14 in any given draft is rare. But tanking for an MLB pick in drafts that have talent and hidden gems 20+ rounds deep is just kind of silly.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
These guys go out every day and play to win. They want to win games because they're pros. Each encounter in a baseball game is a 1 vs 1 test of ability and each guy wants to do his best to win that 1 vs 1 battle. Asking them to go out and just lay down is something they won't do.

Go back last 10 drafts and compare top 10 to 11-20 in the first round. Far more talent in those first 5 and 10 picks.

But, I'm sure the current players trade value will sky rocket because we end the season with 75 wins instead of 65? Because reasons?

Not to mention the higher you pick the more money you get which means you can pick a guy who's maybe rated as the say 13th best player, sign him for less than slot and save money to use throughout the remaining rounds of talented players who drop.

The Astros did this with Carlos Correa and saved enough money to draft and sign Lance McCullers.

I hope they win 75-80 games and break the hearts of the top 5'ers out there. Win baby, WIN!!!

Amen!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I understand the argument of tanking in order to get a better draft pick. But personally I'd rather us do our best to win every game. Too many years of bad teams...I want competitive. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't care about winning the World Series. I care about being competitive and fun to watch. I don't need to try to constantly tear it down and rebuild

Wow! Someone actually started a thread begging for the Brewers to lose on purpose?

What is with the mentality of some people these days? Sigh.

The Brewers as it looks right now will have won 2 of 3 from the LAST PLACE Reds (Warms my heart). They have the Marlins next and could easily take 2 of 3 from them as well.

Win! It makes watching the games much easier.

Wow! Someone actually started a thread begging for the Brewers to lose on purpose?

Well, the team can't do that, and I think everyone understands that. There's no way they can "tank."

I can see the sentiment behind the topic title, though. But the lead post doesn't suggest that anyone tank. It's just asking the baseball gods for a little bit of bad luck on the field.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I agree with the OP. Its not that I want them to suck and lose, but right now they aren't competitive, by which I define as in the mix for the playoffs, and are so far back that even winning every remaining game only gives us a small chance at a wild card. When I watch the games or look at the box scores if I cant watch, I want to see the players had played well but somehow not won, except lohse and garza, they can suck all they want.

For me, its about the future, in that winning now doesn't help now, but can hurt the future. All the early losing had a silver lining of the consolation prize of a top pick, and the slot money that goes with that pick. Winning now is like declining the consolation prize. It makes going through all the april hurt and anguish amount to nothing.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

If they're playing the young guys, that's all I want to see. The winning is going to boost their confidence and give the new FO a bit more insight and direction in moving forward. I'm glad they were upfront with Garza and said that they want to see the young guys.

For me, its about the future, in that winning now doesn't help now, but can hurt the future. All the early losing had a silver lining of the consolation prize of a top pick, and the slot money that goes with that pick. Winning now is like declining the consolation prize. It makes going through all the april hurt and anguish amount to nothing.

I am having flashbacks of 2013. Started off bad and they quit losing toward the end of the season and ruined their draft position. Players can play well and we can still lose.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I was just on the phone with the St Louis Cardinals, and they told me you can't build a winner without picking in the top five a bunch of times in a row.

GO BREWERS, win 'em all, and trust your scouts to draft the right guys when your picks come up.

I was just on the phone with the St Louis Cardinals, and they told me you can't build a winner without picking in the top five a bunch of times in a row.

GO BREWERS, win 'em all, and trust your scouts to draft the right guys when your picks come up.

Yeah, no kidding. Our guys are definitely as good as the Cardinals at drafting. We don't need any advantage at all.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yeah, no kidding. Our guys are definitely as good as the Cardinals at drafting. We don't need any advantage at all.

You do realize, "our guys", at this point, have completed exactly one draft, and there's a new GM coming, right?

Why not embrace the possibilities? The Brewers' farm system is markedly improved, the team had to hire a new Director of Scouting, then they replaced the manager, they've made several trades for young talent, and they'll have a new GM soon ... isn't that good stuff? Isn't that fun? I'd rather watch a team fight to win, than watch a team tank games based on the sheer hope that picking a few spots earlier will get them a better player.

If you don't like the Cardinals reference for some reason, how about this one?

I was just on the phone with JJ Hardy, Corey Hart, and Yovani Gallardo, they told me Mike Jones, Dave Krynzel and Mark Rogers said the best player always gets picked first.

Here's to the 22nd round pick, no-hitting the most expensive MLB team ever ... and winning tomorrow's ballgame.

And conversely Mike Trout says hi. Trout went one spot before the Brewers picked. So one spot can be a huge difference. Braun and Fielder were both top 10 picks. There are no guarantees, but if you aren't going to make the playoffs and you are in a rebuliding mode I have no idea why you wouldn't want to have as low a draft spot as possible.

I get it. I want the highest possible pick too. But that's how I would look at it AFTER the season. As in "Hey, good news is we have the #3 pick next year." But will I actively cheer and hope they lose? No. Never.

I want to see Nelson, Peralta, Jungmann, Davies, etc win games. I want to see Segura and Lucroy continue their end of season surge. I want to see Santana continue to take. Guess what, that means fewer losses. Let's see the young guys play well to give us hope, and the veterans as well so they can be traded.

Let's lose a bunch so we get the 4th instead of the 7th pick is foolish compared to winning and what comes with it.

And conversely Mike Trout says hi. Trout went one spot before the Brewers picked. So one spot can be a huge difference. Braun and Fielder were both top 10 picks. There are no guarantees, but if you aren't going to make the playoffs and you are in a rebuliding mode I have no idea why you wouldn't want to have as low a draft spot as possible.

What spot was he picked? You just proved our point!

I think his point was that draft spots do make a difference because if you pick later the chance increases that the guy you want isn't going to be available.

Like I said in the "we're #1" thread no matter how you slice it it's better to have an earlier pick. You have more options and you have more money to spend. That doesn't mean you can't get good players lower or that all top picks pan out. But it's always better to have more options when picking. To me this meaningless win streak is more likely to do more harm than good. I'm not anti-Brewers. But from what I've seen over years and years of watching them it seems that having good pitching and a legit #1 is necessary to go from a below average or average team to a championship caliber team. The fact is while we still may get a legit ace picking 7 or 8 the likelihood of getting one at 3 or 4 is probably better. That's why people like me want a higher pick, even if it means losing a few more games this month. Winning games in September when the season has been lost for darn near two months now doesn't lessen the frustration of this season to me. And forgive me if I don't believe that this is going to be some spring board into next season. It is what it is. Wins when wins aren't going to get us anywhere.

Archived