Brewer Fanatic

Garza done starting for the season

1992casey
Per Craig Counsell in today's game 1 post-game interview. It was decided before today, and it's most likely a "full stop." The Brewers want to take the opportunity to look at others, and they want Matt to focus on getting ready for next season.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this should get interesting......I'm sure he has figured out the Brewers are going to make sure that vesting option for 2018 doesn't kick in....

@AdamMcCalvy: Garza is absolutely furious about being shut down. Strong words against GM Doug Melvin. Story coming to #Brewers .com.

I would look at it in part as giving rookies some time to acclimate to MLB hitters...development time to get a head start on the future. There's also some amount of saving face for Garza; it's not because he's awful, it's so we can take a look at some young pitchers.

So he decided to take his salary but not work for the rest of the year. Great teammate

@AdamMcCalvy: Couple things from Doug Melvin: #Brewers gave Garza option to not start today. Also offered him chance to pitch out of pen, Garza declined.

Wow I don't imagine he'll be back next year at all. What a bag of garbage. It's nobody's fault but his own he was only the second worst pitcher in baseball this year. Well, and maybe lohse's since he bested him.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Matt Garza will be shut down for the rest of the 2015 season.

Garza isn't thrilled by the decision and reportedly refused general manager Doug Melvin's offer to pitch out of the bullpen. The Brewers will explore other options with Garza sidelined though it's unclear who his immediate replacement will be. Counsell said Garza will return to the rotation in 2016. The right-hander went 5-14 this year with a 5.63 ERA in 26 appearances.

Source: Todd Rosiak on Twitter Sep 5 - 5:08PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Garza was livid when asked about the decision Saturday afternoon.

“It’s (expletive),” Garza said. “It’s not my decision. I didn’t get much say. It’s completely taken out of my hands. That’s it. I didn’t have any say at all.

“It is what it is. It’s just (expletive).”

Garza said his agent, Nez Balelo, also voiced his displeasure to upper management, but to no avail.

“I told them what I felt,” Garza said. “Had my agent call up top and tell them how I felt, and that’s that. I’ve played with guys who have gone through similar-type situations, just a rough year, and never once have I seen a guy shut down.

“They do things differently here, I don’t know. But I’ll be here for the next 2-3 years, so it is what it is.”

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/324809881.html

No it wasn't taken completely out of your hands, you clown. If you had pitched even halfway decently, they wouldn't have taken you out of the rotation.

No offense Matt, but you can't play as horribly as you did and expect the team to fall all over itself to help you reach financial incentives. Incentives, I might add, the team would have to pay for the honor of keeping your suckitude around for another year. Dude, do you not know you REALLY sucked this season?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I totally understand him being pi$$ed off and I think it's great that he thinks it's just a down year and that he can still pitch. That said, he's not going to get any sympathy (except from other players). This is nothing other than the Brewers looking to save money on the Garza contract this year(he gets a $500,000 bonus for 30 games started) and on the back end (vesting option costing team an additional $8 million kicks in if he pitches in 110 games during years 1-4 and he is not on the DL to end 2017). Nothing wrong with the team doing that.

It never fails to amaze me that players seem to think they are entitled to get the chance to reach these vesting/bonus thresholds if they are healthy but no good. If they don't like the terms they shouldn't have signed the contract.

Many random questions, but first of all.....Make him pitch out of the pen!

Why give him the option to be shut down? If he doesn't, file a grievance and take his pay. Why even say that he will start in 2016? Make him earn it.

Who does this guy think he is? I respect Lohse more now.

From RR being soft and carefree with guys running into outs on the bases and Sedar admitting guys don't follow/know signs to this player pitching option, I can start legitimately asking the question of who is running this show.

Did you see who the third worst pitcher in the majors was this year (recently went on the DL)? CC Sabathia.

It's so nice to have a bunch of good pitching prospects now. Hopefully Garza will be the last FA starter that they will have to overpay for.

It's situations like this that makes everyone hate unions.

Ummmm, I'm not sure this is the place for a political statement like that...

Those could surely be fighting words...

:(

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived