Brewer Fanatic

Ariel Pena's contract purchased from AAA

And That

Don't have a link because it was an At-Bat alert on my phone, but the Brewers have purchased the contract of RHP Ariel Pena from AAA Colorado Springs. Pena, acquired along with Jean Segura and Johnny Hellweg in the Grienke deal, had been outrighted off of the 40-man roster last November. He's scuffled as a reliever this year, but has been surprisingly good in 7 starts.

Pena's stats.

• 6 months later...
one has to wonder if the options game will work against taylor jungmann, chase anderson, michael blazek or corey knebel in 2016 if the brewers intend to give pena a long leash. any of the former can be optioned; pena cannot . . . and he has an advantage of being able to step in to the starting rotation.

Jungmann better not be going anywhere. He needs to pitch and pitch well at a major league level. We need guys like him going forward to either be a part of the future or bring back the future in trades.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Jungmann better not be going anywhere. He needs to pitch and pitch well at a major league level. We need guys like him going forward to either be a part of the future or bring back the future in trades.

I think a lot of people on the board are skeptics when it comes to Jungmann, me included. He never pitched as well in the minors as he did for the Brewers last season and he had a ridiculous HR/FB ratio, one that is not sustainable. If you would have asked me before last season what he might be, I would have said a AAAA pitcher. Now I think he might have a mid-rotation ceiling, but that is probably overly optimistic. He's likely a back-end guy and, if he pitches that way there's a real chance he ends up back in AAA at some point this season.

When it comes to Jungmann's minor league performance, let's keep in mind that:

1) The Brewers had him change his delivery

B) The Brewers had him learn to throw a 2-seamer (vs. the 4-seamer he threw in college)

3) He changed (not sure if it was him or the Brewers) how he threw his curveball

4) By the time he learned 1-3 he was in Colorado Springs, where the curveball doesn't work so well

And for some guys it just takes longer to get. Hopefully he is one of those guys. There's a reason that people were once high on him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived