Brewer Fanatic

Opinions on Carlos Gomez

QuevedosTongue
What I really find weird about the celebration stuff is if you compare hockey to baseball. Hockey is probably 99% old white males yet after every goal scored there is a celebration. There is even players showing absolute disgust after allowing a goal. There is emotion in hockey which is nearly 99% old white males so I don't even think this is a nationality thing. This is a baseball thing which to me is completely stupid. A player should be able to show emotion when playing the game otherwise lets just replace the game with a computer simulation and be done with it already. If you want robots playing the game then go ahead watch a computer simulation of the game that is what you are going to get but I doubt that is what anyone wants.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But, I disagree that it's only "old white guys" (which by the way is a racist statement in and of itself), but rather "working citizens of the United States." Black, brown, white, yellow, whatever, working people can't get away with these antics, so a certain "boring" protocol is adopted that just says you don't do some things in the workplace. Glorified as it may be, a professional baseball stadium is a workplace, and many working Americans don't think certain types of behavior belong there.

Except comparing pro sports to an office job is like comparing apples to coconuts. Pro sports is entertainment. I don't have walk up music when I go to my desk. There are not video boards around my office to keep onlookers distracted between calls. We don't have mascots race around the office 2/3rds of the way through the day.

We also don't do this at the end of a good day.

boomfielder.gif?w=1000

If my memory is correct, the Giants held a grudge for a long time over that fun celebration, throwing at Fielder and making negative comments about it "not being a professional way" to celebrate a walk off win, as if it was done to disrespect the Giants vs simply having some fun.

That is such a prime example of the nonsense of these silly codes way to many in baseball have. Supposedly having fun after a walk off homer is bad, but intentionally throwing a baseball at batters multiple times is just an acceptable part of the game.

It's not even so much cultural as it is sport-dependent. Basketball and football show a lot of emotion, and it is accepted/embraced to a certain point, much more so than baseball.

Football completely banned celebrating in the end zone. Well, not completely, the Packers are still able to do the Lambeau Leap, but everything else is banned.

It's about money. Those "old white guys" everyone hates happen to be the ones who spend the money that supports this multi-billion dollar industry. Basketball lost a lot of these "old white guys" when they pretty much turned the game into street ball after the Jordan years, and they lost a lot of money when they left. Once gone, they're hard to bring back.

The NFL has only banned those type of over the top pre-planned celebrations in the end zone where guys like Owens were pulling markers out of their socks. There was merit in doing so because some receivers were just taking those things to far, but there are no silly codes where other players and teams get all bent out of shape over how a player celebrates a big play.

NBA attendance overall has never been higher and TV ratings have been good, especially for the playoffs. Higher than MLB playoffs ratings.

As for supposedly everyone hating older white guys, i think that's you making a leap which isn't there. I like or love most older white guys i know, even if to me some are a little to grumpy over certain things.

But, I disagree that it's only "old white guys" (which by the way is a racist statement in and of itself), but rather "working citizens of the United States." Black, brown, white, yellow, whatever, working people can't get away with these antics, so a certain "boring" protocol is adopted that just says you don't do some things in the workplace. Glorified as it may be, a professional baseball stadium is a workplace, and many working Americans don't think certain types of behavior belong there.

Except comparing pro sports to an office job is like comparing apples to coconuts. Pro sports is entertainment. I don't have walk up music when I go to my desk. There are not video boards around my office to keep onlookers distracted between calls. We don't have mascots race around the office 2/3rds of the way through the day.

We also don't do this at the end of a good day.

boomfielder.gif?w=1000

If my memory is correct, the Giants held a grudge for a long time over that fun celebration, throwing at Fielder and making negative comments about it "not being a professional way" to celebrate a walk off win, as if it was done to disrespect the Giants vs simply having some fun.

That is such a prime example of the nonsense of these silly codes way to many in baseball have. Supposedly having fun after a walk off homer is bad, but intentionally throwing a baseball at batters multiple times is just an acceptable part of the game.

The Giants threw at Fielder in the Spring Training opener the spring after that. That's all you need to know about how stupid it is.

Doesn't it go back to the managers a lot of the time? I think Bochy is great, but he has that old-school mentality. As did/do Matheny, LA Russa, Girardi, Kirk Gibson (the worst) and on and on. I think part of it is that these guys are so competitive that anything can be taken as disrespect.

Or maybe their egos are so large that they see everything as relating to them or their team somehow *cough* Hi dad! *cough*. I don'think it's too hard to imagine narcissism being a quality shared by the guys I mentioned above.

Archived