Brewer Fanatic

Can someone help me out?

You need to be recommended to scout school, as not just everyone can give MLB a call and ask how they can be involved.

I really helps if you are a former player, at least through the college level, if you don't have any pro time under your belt.

Get to as many games as possible. Immerse yourself into the game, and make as many observations as possible.

Introduce yourself to as many scouts as possible. Try to find out who the guys are the cover the area you live in, and see if you can shadow them for a game or ten. See if they have any interest letting you become a bird-dog scout for them.

Study sports management in college, or some kind of similar field.

I have always heard a lot of people ask how they can become a scout. It's very hard to get into the world of scouting, and even those that do know that the money isn't the greatest. There are a lot of long hours traveling to your next destination, and you have to do an intense amount of networking to try and figure out who the best players are, what days and where they are playing, and how you make that all fit.

This could easily be a 10,000 post, but I'm going to stop there. Good luck.

Archived