Brewer Fanatic

September callups 2015 [Davies called up]

LouisEly
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The entire September call up thing is so strange to me. I dislike how teams play the game one way for 5 months, then can change how they play for the final 30 days. Why a team suddenly gets an extra 5-10 guys is kind of crazy.

And I don't really care much about the 'designate 25 guys' option either. A team can just designate their four other starters, plus they probably have a guy or two that can't play (such as a reliever who's thrown three days in a row or a player nursing an injury). It still means you're operating with at least 30 man rosters. It means more pitching changes, more pinch hitters, etc.

If anything, I think it should increase right after spring training since you have starters that can't go 7 innings yet and with rainouts you get multiple doubleheaders.

This was done up until 1968; April rosters were set at 28. Going back to the 1950s and earlier, I believe April rosters were even larger.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

If anything, I think it should increase right after spring training since you have starters that can't go 7 innings yet and with rainouts you get multiple doubleheaders.

This was done up until 1968; April rosters were set at 28. Going back to the 1950s and earlier, I believe April rosters were even larger.

I did not know that.

I did not know that.

Neither did I.

So, will Mike Olt be a September callup?

I'm fine with the designating 25. Lets them expand the roster to evaluate the young players or giving teams in contention a bit of relief for playoff runs without getting absurd and using 5 relievers in two innings or the luxury of multiple dedicated pinch runners.

Looks like Davies has the call and a start:

Tom retweeted

Coach ‏@jeff_holland9 16m16 minutes ago Gilbert, AZ

@mesqwildcatBB. Former wildcat Zach Davies will make his 1st major league start tomorrow or Thursday against the pirates.

Looks like Davies has the call and a start:

Tom retweeted

Coach ‏@jeff_holland9 16m16 minutes ago Gilbert, AZ

@mesqwildcatBB. Former wildcat Zach Davies will make his 1st major league start tomorrow or Thursday against the pirates.

This is exciting. Love it!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Count me skeptical on Davies. It seems to me that Brewers are anxious to showcase return on the Parra deal and to justify dealing Fiers when they did. If Davies were significantly better than the arms the Brewers have at AA, I doubt the O's would have parted with him.

Will be watching certainly, but not anticipating greatness.

Count me skeptical on Davies. It seems to me that Brewers are anxious to showcase return on the Parra deal and to justify dealing Fiers when they did. If Davies were significantly better than the arms the Brewers have at AA, I doubt the O's would have parted with him.

Will be watching certainly, but not anticipating greatness.

I don't think anybody is anticipating "greatness" from Davies but he has had a decent season in AAA and minor league career and is worth giving a look. Timing makes perfect sense as the Brewers are in need of a starter and they don't seem to have any better options. I don't see how this has any connection to being "anxious about showcasing the deal on Parra to justify dealing Fiers." That seems like a weird train of thought. Maybe offer up a suggestion of which starter should be called up instead of this almost conspiracy like theory.

They don't need to start Davies to justify trading Fiers. Hader and Houser can do that. Not to mention Phillips and Santana. Davies is simply the next man up. Won't surprise me in the least if Wagner gets another start at some point this month, maybe Lopez too. Just kicking tires for next year and beyond.

I don't think Briggs is suggesting any conspiracy theory here. Melvin himself said he wanted Davies to step in and take Fiers role. It was probably already predetermined Davies would be called up in September, he certainly wasn't called up due to his great performance in AAA after he was traded.

I hope we have a guy that gives us what Mike Fiers did. If Daives does that, our pitching staff is just that much closer to being young, controllable, cheap and above average.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't expect Davies to give us what Fiers did. I would be thrilled if Davies could be a solid #5, Fiers is better than that. But I don't look at it that way, since those were two different trades.

What I know for sure is if Davies can be a solid #5, that's worth a couple months of Parra in a losing season.

I don't expect Davies to give us what Fiers did. I would be thrilled if Davies could be a solid #5, Fiers is better than that. But I don't look at it that way, since those were two different trades.

What I know for sure is if Davies can be a solid #5, that's worth a couple months of Parra in a losing season.

It is but is it worth a sandwich pick you could have gotten by giving Parra a QO? "Solid #5" is an oxymoron. Either you are an effective starter or you are not. I was unimpressed by the debut. Great changeup and keeps his straight fastball down, but he could use a slider or some sink to his fastball. Can't see him being a successful starter based on what I saw though it was only one start. Reliever maybe.

I do agree with JB on one thing. Bullpen was the first word that came to mind watching him pitch. It's early, he can still develop, but his stuff just screamed bp to me. Which is fine actually, if we got a guy who is a very effective bp arm for at least 6 yrs. Still a good return for parra.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I read that the Brewers minor league guys were very high on Davies. I'm guessing it comes from the fact he's a groundball type guy - which seems to be the kind of starter we are trying to develop. Nelson, Jungmann, Peralta - now Davies - are all guys who will induce a lot of groundballs. That seems to be the kind of pitcher the club thinks can succeed at Miller Park. Of course, more groundballs mean better defenders are desired.

Archived