Brewer Fanatic

September callups 2015 [Davies called up]

LouisEly

It's hard to tell this year. They already have a lot of young guys up and don't have a lot of PT available as is. But at the same time, they have a number of guys who are going to need to be added to the 40-man anyway, so why not give them a taste?

Pretty good chance:

Wagner - they've already used his option this year, and I think Garza is hurt again as he was only hitting 92/93 today

Lopez - has to be added anyway, and with the situation with his kid I think the Brewers will do the right thing and get him and his family on the major league health care plan

Davies - audition for 2016 5th starter

Strong - his option has been used, and they'll need to figure out if they should plan on him being the 2nd lefty in the pen next year

Sardinas - already used his option, as a switch hitter can be valuable as a PH and also as a PR

Moderate chance:

Houser - has to be added to the 40-man, but also could go to the AFL. (Can you do both?)

Centeno - already on the 40-man and five years younger than Ashley, but already tough to find PT for Maldy

Clark - I can easily see trading Lind this offseason and going with a Rogers/Clark platoon in 2016, but with Lind and Rogers there now there are only PH AB's to be had - is that worth bringing him up?

Outside chance:

Chapman - do they want to try to slip him through the Rule 5 draft and keep him off the 40-man? Is he in their plans for 2016?

Ashley - do they reward the 30-year-old for a great season?

Reed - already few ABs to go around in the OF, AFL more likely

Guez - see Ashley; probably not a priority for the AFL

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chapman will be a free agent if not added to 40 man, Guez is hurt and probably would have been up here already after the trades. My predictions are Clark, Sardinas, Chapman, Ashley, Strong. Also one of Davies, Wagner or Lopez to get a start or two. Not as exciting as some on talk radio are hoping for. Service time is just too important for the top guys. Would rather see them earlier next year than right now.

I imagine they'll add Clark just to have a lefty bench power bat for PH duties, but I wouldn't bet on it. Frankly,his season in AAA has been disappointing and I don't envision him keeping his 40 man spot in the offseason.

Longshots for me off Biloxi's roster are Magnifico and Barrios. Bullpen spots are always up for grabs and why not get a look at these two?

Melvin doesn't like using many players as September call ups. They always can use another catcher, so Centeno is one for sure.

You are absolutely correct to point this out and IIRC, DM has even gone so far as to not only state it publicly but to ask that MLB change the rules so that teams can't bring up 40 guys. Personally, I think we should call up as many guys as possible and see if anyone can do anything interesting over the final month of the season.

Melvin doesn't like using many players as September call ups. They always can use another catcher, so Centeno is one for sure.

You are absolutely correct to point this out and IIRC, DM has even gone so far as to not only state it publicly but to ask that MLB change the rules so that teams can't bring up 40 guys. Personally, I think we should call up as many guys as possible and see if anyone can do anything interesting over the final month of the season.

He's almost always added 3-5 guys though. Sardinas is almost a lock and most assuredly will give Segura some much needed rest with a few starts. Sardinas is batting .340 in August after struggling in June and July. They'll add a catcher either Centeno or Ashley who I think is a better option as he's a better bat off the bench option. Beyond that, a couple relievers and one starter option perhaps. Maybe Clark. That's about it.

McCalvy had an article recently about this. They aren't going to call up many. http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/144078034/brewers-considering-options-for-september

His take:

Strong Possibilities

Davies, Sardinas, and Santana (mentioned prior to his recent promotion)

Depending on playoffs:

Arcia, Lopez, Barrios

Other possibilities:

Catcher, Clark and Dominguez

DocLuna, you're mistaking things. Melvin's problem isn't Sept callups, it's player eligibility. He'd like to set a limit, like only 25 or 30 players can be active on a given day. Given that teams have 5 starting pitchers, currently it's like having a 21-man roster each day.

DocLuna, you're mistaking things. Melvin's problem isn't Sept callups, it's player eligibility. He'd like to set a limit, like only 25 or 30 players can be active on a given day. Given that teams have 5 starting pitchers, currently it's like having a 21-man roster each day.

I agree completely with Melvin too. It is a completely different ball game when September call ups happen. Something needs to be done in this department. Especially in the National league when you can just pinch hit and throw in pitchers left and right. It's not how the game was designed and it bores fans who have to watch pitching change after pitching change.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

They must have some interest bringing up some guys currently in AA or they wouldn't mention that they will wait till after the playoffs to add any player from AA. Not saying they will...but there must be some discussion.

I sure hope they bring up anyone and everyone who could be a possibility for next years team. Let em play and see what happens. Bring up Arcia if they want to. Don't care. Just get some ballplayers up that can do something at the major league level.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Ah, ok. Must have forgotten his exact position on that. Either way, he does seem to call up fewer guys than I would personally like to see for a team that isn't in contention. To me it's an ideal time to see what some of the guys in the minors can do and to get them some MLB experience.

They HAVE mentioned that they won't bring AA guys up 'til Biloxi's done in the playoffs. (I don't remember where I read it (likely a TH or McCalvy tweet), but it feels like it was at least a week ago.) That could happen quickly or not for a few weeks after the minor league season's done. How long their postseason run lasts could well make a difference in how many (if any) AA guys come up based on how things are going up in MIL by that time.

- I'd think Davies and Sardinas are givens. I hope Clark is, too.

- If they need extra bullpen arms, Guilmet & Kintzler would seem to be options. Mike Strong, maybe, too, though I think he's more peripheral to the September picture.

- I'm more interested in Nevin Ashley than Centeno. I'd guess one of the two is a decent bet. If they like Ashley, they may DFA Centeno, though 40-man spots aren't necessarily an issue at the moment even presuming Davies is added as a September callup.

- Dominguez hasn't given them much reason to call him up, but it may be worth bringing him up anyway just to see first-hand & at the big league level exactly what they have in him -- especially when there may be fewer new or other unknown guys compared to spring training.

Melvin does have a problem with the call ups. He knows he is in the minority, so He fights the unlimited roster by trying to get teams to have a set 30 players for each game. He believes that all season long teams play with a 25 man roster and it's absurd to have unlimited rosters. Basketball and football don't allow expanded rosters.

Melvin does have a problem with the call ups. He knows he is in the minority, so He fights the unlimited roster by trying to get teams to have a set 30 players for each game. He believes that all season long teams play with a 25 man roster and it's absurd to have unlimited rosters. Basketball and football don't allow expanded rosters.

I think his problem is now that he's in Milwaukee he has a budget to worry about and he can't afford to pay a bunch of guys to sit the bench for a month, get 1 ab a week, or pinch run. I do agree that it is silly that the roster size increases for the last month of the season. If anything, I think it should increase right after spring training since you have starters that can't go 7 innings yet and with rainouts you get multiple doubleheaders.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think his problem is now that he's in Milwaukee he has a budget to worry about and he can't afford to pay a bunch of guys to sit the bench for a month, get 1 ab a week, or pinch run. I do agree that it is silly that the roster size increases for the last month of the season. If anything, I think it should increase right after spring training since you have starters that can't go 7 innings yet and with rainouts you get multiple doubleheaders.

Its not like it helps the player (beyond the paycheck) to sit and get one AB per week either.

Interesting idea about early in the season, too. Most full season leagues haven't started by then either. Then the rosters could shrink after the minors start.

I doubt theres a budget issue to worry about, its not like the september call ups are going to be earning big bucks or anything, its all a prorated amount, or 1/6th of the minimum salary of $507,500, or $85k for a full month, which some dont get. So they get a prorated amount of that prorated salary based on the number of days remaining in the season (which ends up being 34 going into October).

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I can't remember but do most or all September call ups happen usually on the first of the month or do they trickle in throughout the month of September?

a handful will happen on the 1st, but most will wait until the end of their MiLB season first, especially if they're in the playoffs like Biloxi is.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived