Brewer Fanatic

Can A-Rod break the HR record?

MrTPlush
I remember reading an article, I believe it was on ESPN Page 2 years ago...maybe early Grantland, where they broke down who the "true" HR leader was. Eliminating anyone who played during segregation, used amphetamines, steroids, etc. I remember the actual leader being Harmon Killebrew, but don't remember all of the qualifiers.

Didn't Hank Aaron admit to using amphetamines during his playing career?

It seems like this question always comes up on here during these discussions, for whatever reason.

He said in his autobiography that he took a "greenie" one time before a game, became quite ill from it, and never used them afterwards. They were legal in the US and not banned by baseball at the time.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I remember reading an article, I believe it was on ESPN Page 2 years ago...maybe early Grantland, where they broke down who the "true" HR leader was. Eliminating anyone who played during segregation, used amphetamines, steroids, etc. I remember the actual leader being Harmon Killebrew, but don't remember all of the qualifiers.

This is so big, yet rarely talked about. I'd like to see what Ruth, Gehrig, or Williams' numbers would look life if they played against anyone other than just white guys.

Longevity is worth something but for the record, at bats per HR:

Ruth 11.8

Aaron 16.4

Bonds 12.9

Arod 15.0

Ruth played fewer games per season.

Yeah but Ruth was hitting them off guys throwing in the low-80s who worked as plumbers in the offseason. (The great pitchers of that era might be able to hold their own in the modern MLB, don't get me wrong, but the quality of the league as a whole was not comparable.)

Good lord, could you imagine Pedro Martinez playing in the 1920's? He'd have like 20 K's a game against teams full of hitters who choke half way up the bat and step in the bucket on every swing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Longevity is worth something but for the record, at bats per HR:

Ruth 11.8

Aaron 16.4

Bonds 12.9

Arod 15.0

Ruth played fewer games per season.

Yeah but Ruth was hitting them off guys throwing in the low-80s who worked as plumbers in the offseason. (The great pitchers of that era might be able to hold their own in the modern MLB, don't get me wrong, but the quality of the league as a whole was not comparable.)

Some of the parks Ruth played in were absolutely huge. Granted, a few of them were also band boxes, but some of those parks in that day were just massive.

I think Pujols has a better shot at it, honestly. He's at 553 with 6 more years on his contract after this, so it's certainly not impossible, although odds are that age and health will get the best of him well before he gets to 762.

Pujols has a very outside shot at it. He is at 553 (572 if you include playoffs) ... If he can hit 30 per year over the next 6, he would be awed illy close. I can see it now; his age 42 season, he re-signs with the Cardinals and hits 50 bombs to smash the record and bring the pennant to St. Louis

Pujols and A-Rod are both in a pretty similar boat. Albert Pujols won't achieve it on his current contract unless he averages 30+...which seems questionable. Not to mention Pujols doesn't seem like the type of guy to hang around and limp to the finish line. Unless he is still playing at an above average level I expect him to bow out before he would ever get the record. A-Rod on the other hand will pull up in a wheel chair if given the chance.

I think they're in the same boat in that Pujols was a user too. Difference is of course he's never been caught other than a past trainer of his saying he did it. I would be every dollar I have that at some point Pujols knowingly took something he knew he wasn't supposed to. Probably not at the level A-rod was but I bet he's done much more than Braun ever did, just on account of it being earlier before the testing came in so he could get away with it.

I think they're in the same boat in that Pujols was a user too. Difference is of course he's never been caught other than a past trainer of his saying he did it. I would be every dollar I have that at some point Pujols knowingly took something he knew he wasn't supposed to. Probably not at the level A-rod was but I bet he's done much more than Braun ever did, just on account of it being earlier before the testing came in so he could get away with it.

I would agree with this. Pujols was a huge dude during his peak years.

But itd never be proven because of The Cardinal Way

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Look, there's a right way & a wrong way to dope. If you're not doping the right way, really you're insulting the history & legacy of the game.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Look, there's a right way & a wrong way to dope. If you're not doping the right way, really you're insulting the history & legacy of the game.

If you can dope with your shirt tucked in, its all good...

Archived