Brewer Fanatic

Mike Fiers No-Hits the Dodgers

splitterpfj
Regardless of whether he's 30 or 26

I don't know how you can say that, as if it's nothing. There is no value in having anyone 30+ years old on the roster right now.

And yes, we'll see how the young arms do before we know for sure how good this trade was. By the same token, we'll see how good Fiers is next year and the year after as well.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how you can say that, as if it's nothing. There is no value in having anyone 30+ years old on the roster right now.

And yes, we'll see how the young arms do before we know for sure how good this trade was. By the same token, we'll see how good Fiers is next year and the year after as well.

I agree. The fact that he's 30+ makes it more likely that he'll regress sooner than if he was 26. It's that simple

I agree. The fact that he's 30+ makes it more likely that he'll regress sooner than if he was 26. It's that simple

Pitchers can regress at any age. Not saying it was a bad deal just that they controlled Fiers through 2020 and with his late start as a professional, he doesn't have a ton of mileage on his arm. Fiers has a grand total of 851 professional innings. Nelson has 797. Peralta has 1,128. I'm guessing Fiers has some good years left. Given what the Brewers have had to spend on mediocre pitching over the years because they haven't produced enough of their own and pitching prospects they have dealt for never seem to live up to their scouting reports, it was tough letting him go. It might well have been necessary to part with him. That doesn't mean he couldn't have been very useful over the next 3-4 seasons as their young talent is emerging.

Pitchers can regress at any age.

Of course, but it's basic mathematics/odds that it is more likely when they're older and past their prime rather than before. Of course he could hang on for years and of course things like Dontrelle Willis happen. But the odds are in the other direction and that's the way to play it.

Nobody is saying they are OVERJOYED that Fiers is not a Brewer. I think we all thought he seemed like a good dude and can agree he was a good pitcher. We liked having him on our favorite team. It sucks to let good players go, especially when they are likable guys. Most of us didn't want to lose Carlos Gomez, either. He's a fantastic player and most of us love watching him play.

But we also understand that sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Fiers isn't going to help this team make the playoffs or make a run in the playoffs for the next few years. By the time the Brewers are ready to make a run, there's a good chance he'll be on the decline and/or start commanding higher salaries. It made sense to trade him now, especially if it could help improve the team in the years to come.

For some reason, I think there's a disconnect with some people between not wanting to see Fiers go and thinking it was a horrible idea to trade him. It clearly wasn't a horrible idea, but we can still be a little sad that he's on another team, just like many of us are with Gomez.

well put dlk, totally agree. I'm rooting for the guy, was really happy he pulled that off. Hope he keeps doing well and manages to get himself one good contract to cover himself and his family for life. I'll be rooting for Gomez his whole career too.

Archived