Brewer Fanatic

Cotts claimed on waivers- traded to Twins for ptbnl or cash (Brewers took cash - post 25)

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

No word on who has claimed him. Milwaukee has two days to make a trade, let him go, or pull him back.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/08/neal-cotts-claimed-waivers-brewers.html

I still think it was weird no one wanted this guy at the trade deadline last month. Now we have one team to strike a deal with instead of the rest of the league.

Just giving him up would save the team roughly $750,000.

To the twins cotts goes for PTBNL or cash

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• 1 month later...
does anyone have any info as to when we will find out what the return will be on Cotts?

My guess is straight cash, homie.

lol. This made me chuckle. I thought I heard somewhere it was for cash unless the twins made the playoffs then we get a player

• 2 months later...
Obviously beyond regime changes, there is a lot of posturing/poker faces going on in these deals, but... would have been nice if the could have gotten the right to Zack Jones so we can option him to AA where he should be if the Twins were not going to protect him. Oh well, what's a roster spot on a projected 65 win team worth?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Tom Haudricourt stated herethat he thought both Hunter and Cotts were cash back transactions:

Q: Mike, Green Bay - Hey Tom, When do we find out who the PTBNL is in the Hunter Morris and Neal Cotts trades? I hoping for McCutchen and Sano. Thanks.

A: Tom Haudricourt - I believe those both are going to be cash transactions but I will check and get back to you.

Given the lack of any other player transactions that surely would've been mentioned by now, I would assume that is correct.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody know if in theory the Brewers could get Zach Jones as the PTBNL still? It does not appear that a rule 5 player can even be put on waivers until 20 days before opening day so is there a window where a trade can be made and the rule 5 restrictions are lifted?

Right, but in the regular season the player has to clear waivers before a trade can be made with the original rule 5 team. I'm just curious if a trade can be made with the Twins now for Jones in the Cotts trade since Jones can't be put through waivers now.

• 1 month later...
Deal still pending, my tweet today:

Sorry for lack of formal source, but have learned #Brewers/#Twins Neal Cotts PTBNL/cash deal is not final. $$ option still likely. By 2/21.

Haven't heard anything on this and 2/21 is approaching, any other news out there on if its cash or a player in return?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived