Brewer Fanatic

Domingo Santana Called Up; Cravy to DL [LATEST: Santana starts at CF in debut, 8.21.15]

patrickgpe
so far Pittsburgh hasnt won anything beyond a wild card playin game.

Pittsburgh is very likely to make the playoffs for the third straight year. The Brewers have made the playoffs four times in 46 years.

yeah, sure, you're right, but the point is to win the world series, which the Pirates haven't even won a series yet, just a 1-game play in, and 2 games after. Brewers have more wins in their last two playoff trips than the pirates have in theirs.

My point is that the Pirates, with all their recent regular season success, have not pulled the trigger to bring in that game changing player like the Brewers have with CC and Greinke. Houston did this year getting Gomez/Fiers, KC has made moves in the off seasons... the biggest trade the Pirates made was getting an aging AJ Burnett as a salary dump for the Yankees a couple years ago.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we redirect that discussion to another thread (I think there are 2-3 dedicated to team direction/strategy) and stick to Santana here?

Guy has ridiculous bat speed. To turn on that inside pitch and hit it out was amazing. And he'll take pitches and walk too. He has nothing left to prove in the minors; time to make room for him.

The good thing is that the Brewers have options. If they don't get good offers for Davis they can say, fine, we'll deal Lind and move Braun to 1B. If they don't get good offers for Lind they can say, fine, we'll move Davis. No situation like when they had to move Overbay to make room for Fielder.

Is there any chance that they live with his defense in CF next year, just to keep as many bats as they can? Otherwise, you're replacing Davis/Braun/Lind with some crappy CF bat, at least until Phillips is ready.

That could be the right approach but too hard to tell what the new GM will be thinking. Give Davis another full year healthy to see what he can do. Still think he can be a mid 800 OPS guy and he is entering his prime at the minimum. Probably will be pretty bad in 2016 but could be exciting seeing Lucroy/Braun/Lind/Davis/Santana lineup to start the year.

He looks like he has the build to be adequate at center if he just plays there every day and learns the little things. That said, he did botch one of the wall last night. Kid should be playing every day here on out. If they don't like the trade options on Lind or Davis just roll with him in center with next year being a loss anyway. Someone will get injured and he'll be able to play a lot of corner OF too. Braun has to at least put in some work at 1B this off-season so he can play there if Lind gets hurt or at least vs lefties (while Lind is there). Can actually give Lucroy a real day off then next year.

No need to trade any of them unless a deal is offered that can't be refused. Braun needs regular rest anyway with his hand the way it is. All of Davis, Braun and Santana can get 400+ at bats by resting one each day. Earl Weaver used this strategy successfully although he had a platoon with Roenicke and Lowenstein which probably helped.

The good thing is that the Brewers have options. If they don't get good offers for Davis they can say, fine, we'll deal Lind and move Braun to 1B. If they don't get good offers for Lind they can say, fine, we'll move Davis. No situation like when they had to move Overbay to make room for Fielder.

Good point. Even in a rebuild year, I doubt Attanasio would settle for opening the season with a total bum slated as the everyday guy somewhere, which is probably why Lucroy isn't going anywhere until at least next trade deadline. Santana gives them the flexibility to trade Braun or Lind. I kind of hope they hold on to Davis, as he's a good guy to play while they're rebuilding to see if he can put together a big year and really drive up his value.

I'd guess that Phillips will be up midway through next year, so it makes more sense to me to make some trades this offseason rather than going into the season with Santana in CF. Of course, with Lind on his final year, it makes a lot of sense to trade him so this will probably settle itself out, and the question will be whether Braun or Santana will be the everyday 1B

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I agree Monty. The trades might not happen until the deadline though, at which point Phillips comes up. But I think if Lind finishes the year healthy and hitting, offseason has to be the best time to trade him. And it's the best time for someone else to be training at 1B rather than doing it on the fly in season

Can we redirect that discussion to another thread (I think there are 2-3 dedicated to team direction/strategy) and stick to Santana here?

Guy has ridiculous bat speed. To turn on that inside pitch and hit it out was amazing. And he'll take pitches and walk too. He has nothing left to prove in the minors; time to make room for him.

Thread is just going to turn into literally every other one, itll turn into a braun trade thread, discussing the insouts of his contract to make room for this guy in the OF

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I know he strikes out a lot (ok...... a LOT), and he's only hitting like .215, but I'm intrigued by this kid. He can take an ugly hack and still hit the ball 375 feet and make it look effortless.

I think this guy has serious 40 HR potential. He takes his walks. If he hits .250, he could be a serious offensive force.

reminds me some of a young carlos gomez at the plate. gomez didnt hit his stride at the plate until he turned 26

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

He's got 4 HR in 37 at bats. If you give him 600 AB thats 64 HR for a season. I can deal with 200k for 60HRs

64 home runs and a .215 avg is okay by me~!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

He's very confusing to me. He is a guy who has good plate discipline (too a fault), he has ability to go to all fields with power however he will not shorten his swing at all with 2 strikes him. He stays so long with his swing. With his ability to go with pitches and the way the ball explodes off his bat, if he'd just make adjustments with his approach late in counts, he could be very good. I see Corey Hart type player when I watch him. Same size, speed/athletic ability, power, and borderline All-star/core player type talent

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived