Brewer Fanatic

Domingo Santana Called Up; Cravy to DL [LATEST: Santana starts at CF in debut, 8.21.15]

patrickgpe
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

PS - Here's how you could trade Braun:

Braun has already been paid a $10 million signing bonus, so that's off the books.

New contract goes from 2016-2020 at $19 million in years 2016-18, $18M in 2019, and $16M in 2020. There's a $15M option for 2021 with a $4M buyout.

However, he actually only gets about $15M a year (or less in 2020) in the next five years due to deferring $18M of his pay. The deferred $18M is paid out equally over 10 years, beginning in 2022. There is no interest.

This makes his salaries over the next few years pretty reasonable:

2016: $15M

2017: $15M

2018: $15M

2019: $15M

2020: $13M

2021: $15M (or a $4M buyout)

To facilitate the trade and get back better prospects the Brewers could kick in some money - say $3-5M a year for instance. That would make Braun cost only $10-12M annually - something many teams would be interested in doing. Even teams with limited payroll might be interested.

Again, someone has to want Braun. His injuries, PED stuff, contract and age might preclude teams from being serious about wanting him. But a power hitting corner OF would no doubt interest some clubs.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there is always the possibility of putting Braun at 1B and letting Santana play RF, but that you would have to do in the offseason obviously.

I think this is what's going to happen.

This offseason the team can talk trade for Lind with all the clubs as they re-tool and figure out their needs. Hopefully, that means more suitors, meaning someone willing to give up something of value.

I think the best thing is to then put Santana in RF (he has the arm for it), leave Davis in LF, and figure out CF (Peterson? maybe add someone for cheap wanting a fresh chance like Drew Stubbs - no matter, they are placeholders until Taylor or Phillips arrives in the next year or so). Braunie goes to 1B - start him there in camp and by the beginning of the year, you're set at the position.

We have discussed Braun to 1B and a good amount were against it. I remain for it. I just feel filling RF will be easier as we look at our pipeline.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=30772&hilit=braun+1b

I'm fine with this as long as he starts. Don't care if it's a corner or CF, if he sucks defensively, which he probably will, that's okay. Just want to see his bat and it's not like Peterson is a great defensive player either.

trwi, I agree. It's only a few weeks to get him at bats. Something will be resolved with Braun/Davis/Lind in the offseason.

Someone mentioned him needing to be ok with playing center. I'm sure he's happy to collect a big league paycheck for the next 6 weeks, don't see him complaining too much. Will probably make more in the next 6 weeks than he has in the last 4 years.

Someone mentioned Davis going to 1b and being replacement level. That's not an option, he's lf and lf only. It's Braun or Santana to first. Braun should at least be able to be adequate with his IF background and an offseason of work. And of course he should be able to hit well above replacement level. Who knows on Santana there or anywhere, hope to see good things the next few weeks.

I hope the new front office cares about defense a little bit more than the current version...

Still, exciting to see what Santana can do...there's a bit of a logjam right now with Davis hitting so well and Braun and Lind our best hitters, so might as well give it a shot with a groundball guy on the mound; our CF options aren't exciting and there's AL parks coming soon. Santana in Colorado Springs is getting to the point where it's not safe for opposing pitchers.

I hope the new front office cares about defense a little bit more than the current version...

This made me laugh. Being a Brewer pitcher has had to be pretty tough for a while, pitching in Miller Park with a beer-league softball lineup behind them. Why not throw a guy built like a defensive lineman into CF for a few weeks :-)

Assuming he can learn to scoop a ball, I hope they give Santana a 1B glove this offseason, as his 6'5" frame would be a target even Rickie Weeks would have a hard time missing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewers have already put out their lineup for tonight and Santana is playing CF.

They are facing a lefty and the other CF options are left handed hitters. I hope he gets more starts in CF but it could very well just be because they are facing a lefty.

While you could be right, what's the point playing bad team roster fillers like Peterson and Herrera instead of Santana and Perez anytime? Shouldn't they be about developing young players instead of trying to win match ups with the opposing pitchers? If Santana is at all adequate in CF, isn't he the starter there in 2016 assuming Davis, Braun and Lind are still around? And isn't as of now, the starter at 3B Perez?

I wish i could doubt they'd bring him up just to sit him behind Peterson, but the concern did cross my mind. With only two weeks in the AAA season left though, hopefully this isn't just an early call-up.

I'm not sure what else the guy could have done in AAA, so might as well get him 100 PA's at the MLB level before next season.

I find it interesting that so many want Davis moved when, from some of the things I have read, Santana profiles as a similar player to Davis. Big power, .240-.260 AVG, takes walks. Not sure on his D but sounds awfully similar to Davis.

Can he throw the ball from the OF to second base without it bouncing three times... sorry, couldn't help myself :-)

I actually like Davis and think he should get full time play in LF. Hopefully they can work something so that he can be the starting LF next year, with Santana getting full time play at either RF or 1B... I don't think he's a long term answer at CF.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Saw only the clip of his HR, but what a nice swing that was. Short, & quiet (except for the part where he hit the ball at about 150mph). Looks like it should be a pretty repeatable swing if he can settle in at the big-league level.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Really excited about him as a prospect. He seems to profile a lot like Nelson Cruz. Nice power, nice walk ability, decent defense dabbling in CF, and lots of K's. Hopefully he figures it out about 6 years earlier than Nelson!

How did he look in the field tonight?

Too soon to tell; he didn't have a busy night. He caught a fly ball and a line drive in center, and there were no base hits to center. Nothing was hit toward him after he moved to left field.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Situations like this make me upset about the stupid DH rule. If we were an American League team this wouldn't be an issue. Just put Santana at DH. Instead since we are an NL team we are talking about trading guys or switching positions just to make room for him. Just like how we wouldn't have had to trade Overbay to make room for Fielder had we been an AL team. There really needs to be a rule change making both leagues equal.

Situations like this make me upset about the stupid DH rule. If we were an American League team this wouldn't be an issue. Just put Santana at DH. Instead since we are an NL team we are talking about trading guys or switching positions just to make room for him. Just like how we wouldn't have had to trade Overbay to make room for Fielder had we been an AL team. There really needs to be a rule change making both leagues equal.

I agree. Plus with pitchers specializing and only being pitchers, you might as well call up fans to get in the box. Most of these guys are jokes.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

A bit nitpicky, but the guy that'd get bumped to DH would be Davis. Santana's athleticism & arm have to put him a clear level above Khrush on defense.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I generally like Davis but I think he's kind of maxed out as the descent hitter he is now and that he's underrated, but he is brutal on D. If we had nothing else I'd be fine with riding him on the cheap as long as he keeps being like he has. And I like him because he just keeps proving everyone wrong but his swing is so funky that I think we all fear the bottom is going to fall out at some point and that he's always going to be streaky. I just can't believe he's been as successful as he has with his step out of the box swing. Hope he keeps it up though and at least earns one solid contract from someone, seems to be a hard worker and good guy.

Let's trade Davis, Medeiros, Lara, and Harrison in the off-season for prospects we can trade in 2019 for prospects we can trade in 2022.

Not sure if this is suppose to be blue but Harrison, Lara, Medeiros are all 17-19 and not above low A ball.... If we were to do this now, we'd be selling extremely low on them, have to give each 2 more seasons at least before they start to assert themselves as legit top prospects that they have potential to be

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

A bit nitpicky, but the guy that'd get bumped to DH would be Davis. Santana's athleticism & arm have to put him a clear level above Khrush on defense.

Yea, from what i've read, Santana could be a plus defender at one of the corner spots. Maybe the new GM will shop Davis in the offseason.

Archived