Brewer Fanatic

Domingo Santana Called Up; Cravy to DL [LATEST: Santana starts at CF in debut, 8.21.15]

patrickgpe

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Santana is coming up; hopefully he replaces Davis in LF for the rest of the season and not just isn't up here to rot on the bench

I am excited Santana is coming up. I hope Davis gets traded in the off season. I am just not a big fan (and clearly not many on this board are) .... but I wouldn't end his playing time all together as that would diminish is value.

Edited as I apparently don't know how to add in n't to the word would

Excited to see Santana play but contrary to others hopefully not at the expense of Davis. This team isn't good enough for either to really be rotting on the bench.

Benching Davis would be dumb. He's either part of the future or a trade chip. Either way the bench isn't where he belongs.

I hope to see him in center most days at this point. Who cares if he doesn't quite hack it on D right now. At the very least some time in center will only make him better at right or left in the future. And who knows, maybe he'll be fine and you can play him there to start next season until something resolves itself with Davis, Braun, Lind.

Excited to see Santana play but contrary to others hopefully not at the expense of Davis. This team isn't good enough for either to really be rotting on the bench.

Benching Davis would be dumb. He's either part of the future or a trade chip. Either way the bench isn't where he belongs.

100% agree with this.

Putting him on the bench does nothing for him, or us in the future. This season is lost, let Davis play as much as possible so we can either start him next season in LF or trade him in the off season. Having him rot on the bench is a horrible idea.

I am hoping the Logan Schafer experiment is done though, there is no reason to let this guy play another inning on this team, we already know what he brings, and it isn't much.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Davis is coming into his prime years and is going to be cheap for a few more years at least. His walk rate has doubled this year, and there's no reason to not expect him to be an .800-ish OPS guy going forward for the next 3 or so years. I'd be looking to move Braun and putting Santana in right, if at all possible. Shed those dollars!

Santana is nice looking and I want the guy to play, but I don't want Davis sitting. He needs to produce, and being on the bench won't do that.

September is a good month to get some cheap stats as a lot of minor leaguers get called up. The goal should be to have Davis improve his numbers to make him more attractive down the road as trade bait. If not this off season, sometime in the next year.

By 2017, you have Reed, Phillips, Taylor and Santana all in the mix, and the better Davis looks, the more he can fetch in a trade.

I will also add that there's a chance Davis improves and goes from a .240 hitter with 20 HR in a year to a .270 hitter with 30 HR. I'm not counting on it, but there's the chance. The club can then either keep him or trade him, depending on how other guys progress.

But sitting on the bench stalls Davis. He needs to get better. I don't think he's really valuable now, but if he can get up to .250 or better by season's end, he's more intriguing to other teams.

davis is hot, so it makes sense to let him ride out the season and see what he can do in the last 6 weeks, but Santana doesn't profile to me as a CF. either way, i don't care who sits for him to play, just that he gets regular AB's, which i doubt they called him up to sit.

Domingo has played very little in center (13 games, 25 chances), but you don't want to put Braun there and you certainly don't want Davis there. These are the three guys that should be playing though, so I'd guess that CF defaults to Santana.

My gut says to trade Davis for prospects this winter and worry about a CF solution at that point.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

If Santana is up for it, then no harm in it. Issue is if he's uncomfortable, unconfident and doesn't want to..... That would negitively effect him, his offense, and his growth. CF is tough

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

there is always the possibility of putting Braun at 1B and letting Santana play RF, but that you would have to do in the offseason obviously.

I think this is what's going to happen.

This offseason the team can talk trade for Lind with all the clubs as they re-tool and figure out their needs. Hopefully, that means more suitors, meaning someone willing to give up something of value.

I think the best thing is to then put Santana in RF (he has the arm for it), leave Davis in LF, and figure out CF (Peterson? maybe add someone for cheap wanting a fresh chance like Drew Stubbs - no matter, they are placeholders until Taylor or Phillips arrives in the next year or so). Braunie goes to 1B - start him there in camp and by the beginning of the year, you're set at the position.

I don't recall reading anything that touted Santana as a CF candidate, but it'll be interesting to see how the Brewers manage the OF rotation.

Really excited for the call up, & for Domingo!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Either of them at 1st base doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I would prefer to just trade Davis and look for a real 1B. Why put him at 1B where he will be replacement level? His best value is as a trade chip or actually in LF.

And for the record Khris Davis was tried at 1B in the minors and it DID NOT work out. That is why he is in LF.

One or both of Lind and Braun should be dealt this offseason. If Braun is traded, it obviously frees up an OF spot. If Lind is traded, either Braun or Santana should move to 1B (note that I have not been a proponent of moving Braun to 1B in the past, but current personnel may necessitate someone moving). If both are traded, well, we're in rebuild mode anyway so I expect to lose next year.

It is exciting to see Santana brought up, as he should be a mainstay with the Brewers for a long time. I just hope it's to let him play.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

One or both of Lind and Braun should be dealt this offseason. If Braun is traded, it obviously frees up an OF spot. If Lind is traded, either Braun or Santana should move to 1B (note that I have not been a proponent of moving Braun to 1B in the past, but current personnel may necessitate someone moving). If both are traded, well, we're in rebuild mode anyway so I expect to lose next year.

It is exciting to see Santana brought up, as he should be a mainstay with the Brewers for a long time. I just hope it's to let him play.

Dealing Braun is certainly an option, but for a long time I've questioned the viability due to the big contract, his hand issue, the PEDs stuff, etc.. But with his performance this year, he's more and more likely to have suitors should we put him out there. A corner OF who will hit you 25-30 HR and put up an .850 OPS is pretty nice - even if he is expensive.

I guess it all comes down to what someone offers for Braunie.

Archived