Brewer Fanatic

Wily Peralta: Why is he struggling?

FVBrewerFan
The guy was fine last year. This year started horrible for everyone then he got hurt and hasn't recovered. Give him the offseason to recover and come back strong next year before writing him off. If every pitcher that went through a crappy stretch was discarded and sent to the pen, well I guess there wouldn't be many starters left.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The guy was fine last year. This year started horrible for everyone then he got hurt and hasn't recovered. Give him the offseason to recover and come back strong next year before writing him off. If every pitcher that went through a crappy stretch was discarded and sent to the pen, well I guess there wouldn't be many starters left.

Injuries, bad fielding team, inconsistent team - it's likely all part of Wily's problems. I'm not going to discount the lower strike rate and velocity decrease - those are worrisome. But at this point you have to just look to ride out the year, hope Wily puts it together, and comes into 2016 refreshed and a more mature player. Like you said, he had a nice year in 2014, you have to feel there's enough talent to rebound.

I don't think the closer role qualifies as "being discarded." At some point (maybe soon) we could very well have multiple options for the rotation. Davies, Suter, Thornburg (maybe), Smith (maybe), Lopez, Hader, Wagner, Houser, etc.

I get it, not all these guys will pan out. All I'm saying is if 2-3 of these guys are the real deal, at some point you need to find spots for people. Peralta FB and slider combo seem to be perfect for a closer. Not saying he stinks, he's done as a starter, etc. Just something that could make a lot of sense down the road in 2017.

Maybe it's just as simple as he's never had good control so he's going to be up and down throughout his career?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It looks like Peralta is a guy who has to pitch every 5 days days. He has an ERA of 3.96 with a 1.25 WHIP on regular rest, but 5.25/2.04 with an extra day's rest. His last start was on regular rest. Garza has even bigger splits this year. Even with only 4 starters, they still have had a number of starts lately with extra rest, due to the goofy schedule.

Interestingly, Nelson is lights out with an extra days' rest.

I'm more of the opinion that he went through an in-season dead arm period. He missed 2 full months, then essentially went through a speeded up spring training building up his innings again. Early in the year, he wasn't getting any run support.

Archived