Brewer Fanatic

Which prospects would you trade...

None. We need to be getting prospects, not giving them up!

Trading prospects at positions of strength, SS and OF, for prospects at positions of need, corner IF, and C makes all the sense in the world.

I don't think we're at a position of strength at any position yet. SS maybe with Arcia, but it isn't guaranteed. And while there are a bunch of OFs, do any look to be potential all-stars? Or are there a bunch of questions around them. I'm still on the stockpile as many as you can train.

The guy I wanted to target before his recent injury was Maikel Franco from Philly. I don't know if they would have moved him but considering they are as bad as we are I think they may have considered it. I'd have given them anyone but Arcia, whom they probably don't need anyway.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Of the prospects on the Top 30 list at MLBPipeline.com, which ones would you be willing to trade?

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=mil

My list of folks I'd trade in an instant?

* OF Tyrone Taylor

* SS Jake Gatewood

* OF Kyle Wren

* 1B David Denson

I'd trade anyone if it benefited the team. Some guys, like Arcia, would fetch a king's ransom. Ultimately, you have a strategy for succeeding at the ML level, and if a deal is available to support that strategy, then great.

As for the guys you have listed, Taylor, Denson and Gatewood would be selling low on them. I'd rather see if they can rebound next year and improve their stock. Wren is a fourth OF due to his complete lack of power. Thus, his value isn't really high. If someone overpays, great. But no one is clamoring for a guy without a HR in his career.

I don't think we should be trading prospects until we have a good mlb team. Trading prospects with garbage in mke seems like a terrible call.

I think most of us are talking about trading prospects for prospects. I would gladly trade a SS or OF for a comparable 1B/3B or C.

None. We need to be getting prospects, not giving them up!

Trading prospects at positions of strength, SS and OF, for prospects at positions of need, corner IF, and C makes all the sense in the world.

I don't think we're at a position of strength at any position yet. SS maybe with Arcia, but it isn't guaranteed. And while there are a bunch of OFs, do any look to be potential all-stars? Or are there a bunch of questions around them. I'm still on the stockpile as many as you can train.

You mean the Brewers traded an All Star caliber CF and a middle of the rotation pitcher they have control over for several more years for two OF with questions? Isn't Phillips like #21 on BA midseason prospect list? That should say at least potential for All Star. I also though Santana projects as starting caliber corner OF?

Where does that leave guys like Taylor, Reed, Roache, and Coulter? You wouldn't consider trading any of those guys for a better 1B or 3B prospect than currently in the system or a catcher that could be a major league regular at some point?

Stockpiling guys? Where you going to put them? They only have one AAA team. They have Reed, Wren, Santana already there, and Phillips, Roache, and Taylor all poised to jump a level. Yeah they could have Taylor repeat AA I suppose but Roache will be 24 next year and he's earned a promotion too.

I wouldn't even limit myself to trading guys for prospects. What if you could get a soon to be 25 year old lefty hitting 3B like a Jake Lamb who's already having some success in the big leagues and is controllable through 2020 that you could just plug in at 3B for the next 5 years? You wouldn't trade say a Coulter and/or a Taylor?

I'd trade coulter for lamb in a second. I dont believe in clint at all. Id trade any of the outfielders except phillips and clark. I think roache should probably be moved to 1b. Id look to trade khris davis this offseason too. Santana could play LF next season. There are moves to make from our stockpile of outfielders that could upgrade the postions of need. The potential ss/3b impact guys like lara and gatewood are still so far away that some trades need to happen.

I think people are assuming we are going to have a logjam of prospects at AAA, and claiming we have one, but it sure hasn't materialized yet. We actually have almost no prospects at AAA that project to be above average regulars. We don't need to go and trade away prospects until we are seeing the benefits of this at the major league level. Right now we have what appears to be 2 position players that most would agree will be above average in the majors, and another 2-3 that look like they might be. Exactly how does that make us flush enough to start dealing these guys? The teams that can make prospect for prospect trades have 4-5 ss prospects that are ready to produce, not 1. If we traded Arcia, we have Sardinas, Segura, and Escobar. So, our position of strength is three guys that won't have OPS over .650 in the majors. The outfield is pretty similar---Phillips has a direct path to playing time---he has Reed, and Shane Peterson in front of him, two players who have profiled as 4th outfielders for a long time. But Davis, Santana, and Roache and all pretty similar. Well run organizations don't trade players like this until they are sure the hole is filled.

The guy I wanted to target before his recent injury was Maikel Franco from Philly. I don't know if they would have moved him but considering they are as bad as we are I think they may have considered it. I'd have given them anyone but Arcia, whom they probably don't need anyway.

The Brewers have a hole there too but I read he is probably destined for 1B after Howard is gone because of his defense.

We actually have almost no prospects at AAA that project to be above average regulars.

But starting next season we could have anywhere between 2 and 5. Definitely Arcia and Phillips. Maybe Santana Taylor and Reed.

We don't need to go and trade away prospects until we are seeing the benefits of this at the major league level. We don't need to go and trade away prospects until we are seeing the benefits of this at the major league level.

But is it even possible to see the benefits of everyone if they are this close to each other?

Let's take the outfield for example. At the major league level we have Davis and Braun here long term. The prevailing opinion is that Braun will be traded or moved to first so let's remove him from the conversation. That still leaves us Davis Santana Phillips Taylor and Reed that are either major league ready or within a year and Roache and Coulter right behind them. Are they all going to turn out? Doubtful. But in order to determine if they will turn out they actually have to play and play for at least two years, maybe more. So if we give, for instance Reed and Santana a chance next year what do we do with Taylor and Phillips when they are ready? What if Reed and/or Santana put up ok numbers.....not good but not bad? Do we go with them again in 2017 or do we let Phillips and Taylor have a shot?

The common argument is that these things work themselves out but that can't always be true. Sometimes you actually have to do something about it. It's a good problem to have but its still a problem. And meanwhile you still have absolutely nothing at catcher or third base. Now don't get me wrong I am NOT advocating trading prospects for expensive veterans. I'd prefer younger guys at a position of need (Maikel Franco was a name I threw out). But sometimes it's wiser to get out in front of the problem before the good problem becomes a bad problem, like when guys who are clearly ready for an extended major league shot are relegated to AAA or bench duty, hurting both their game and their value.

This is also why I think that when trading for prospects, especially upper level prospects like we seem to be aiming for, position absolutely should be a factor. I think it would be ludicrous, for example, to move Braun or Lucroy for a package centered around an upper level outfield prospect when we will have six guys at AA or higher next year who look like they'll deserve a look at the major league sometime in the near future. Now obviously if the prospect is a cant-miss all-star potential outfield prospect that's different. But guys like that are rarely moved nowadays. Focus on filling glaring holes and getting a good all around team as opposed to creating an even bigger "good problem".

I think first and foremost, you trade the players at the major league level who have value, are blocking prospects, and not in future plans. That means you trade placeholders Khris Davis, Scooter Gennett, Matt Garza, and K-Rod. Lucroy & Braun are guys who could be the leaders of the rebuild or be traded for right offer but as of now are in future plans. Segura.....I still give him 1/2 a season next to decide on his future, either he will be traded or moved to 2nd.

Once you get returns on those guys filling some holes at 3B, 1B, C and such then you can start looking to trade off of log jam pieces. The Astros have done it the right way, clear house of all the guys who are not part of your future plans, bring up young talent and evaluate, figure out who is your future at each position, sell of logjam prospects for MLB big piece talent. We want as many good prospects as humanly possible for when we do get good again so we can go out and get an Ace or All-Star 3B without crippling our system for the next 4-7 years again.

Right now, Phillips over takes Taylor as CF of the future. Reed could be the better Parra type 4th OF due to his ability to just get on base, stealing/baserunning ability, and he has more power...defensively Taylor has him though. So that to me makes Taylor more flexible.

Overall if I was GM, I am looking for a certain type of player who fits the goal of my major league team. If I was GM the most important qualities are:

1) Professional Hitters- who just get on base. High BB rates, prefer them to make good contact (Unless they are a Santana who walks a ton and hits a ton....and mashes the ball, I'll still target that) If you have 8 guys who can just get on base and make contact, your team will be in great shape.

2) Defense- All three OFs ideally are CFers. CF is usually your most athletic and talent defensive OF. If you have Trent Clark LF, Maverick Phillips CF, Monte Harrison RF some day.....that is a lot of speed and talent of there. The OF becomes very small for offense. In the infield, 2B, SS, and 3B should all be former SS's. This could simply mean Gatewood or Lara out grew the position but have the defensive talent like Manny Machado that you are a defensive asset, not liability.

3. Impact Speed/Baserunning/ Arms: attributes that they possess such as speed. Or look at Michael Reed, not fastest guy in the world but he can steal, stretch singles to doubles and doubles to triples. His base running impacts the game. Strong arms across the diamond with a lot of range helps defense a lot.

4. Attitude: Need to be confident, need to be a team guy, need to not be an arrogant, cocky, selfish, lazy, not hustle at times...Essentially if they are anything like Brett Lawrie, they can't be in the clubhouse. 2011 is perfect example of a team that has great chemistry and has fun. Moreover, guys like Trent Clark who never stop hustling will make things happen when you need them to the most.

If your team gets on base a lot, plays excellent defense, can impact game on bases/field, and has hard working, hustling, good team guys.....you will win a lot of baseball games. Power is just gravy.

Once I create my logjam in the minors, I find the guys who fit what I am looking for and then make trades accordingly to fill holes.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I think first and foremost, you trade the players at the major league level who have value, are blocking prospects, and not in future plans. That means you trade placeholders Khris Davis, Scooter Gennett, Matt Garza, and K-Rod. Lucroy & Braun are guys who could be the leaders of the rebuild or be traded for right offer but as of now are in future plans. Segura.....I still give him 1/2 a season next to decide on his future, either he will be traded or moved to 2nd.

Once you get returns on those guys filling some holes at 3B, 1B, C and such then you can start looking to trade off of log jam pieces. The Astros have done it the right way, clear house of all the guys who are not part of your future plans, bring up young talent and evaluate, figure out who is your future at each position, sell of logjam prospects for MLB big piece talent. We want as many good prospects as humanly possible for when we do get good again so we can go out and get an Ace or All-Star 3B without crippling our system for the next 4-7 years again.

Right now, Phillips over takes Taylor as CF of the future. Reed could be the better Parra type 4th OF due to his ability to just get on base, stealing/baserunning ability, and he has more power...defensively Taylor has him though. So that to me makes Taylor more flexible.

Overall if I was GM, I am looking for a certain type of player who fits the goal of my major league team. If I was GM the most important qualities are:

1) Professional Hitters- who just get on base. High BB rates, prefer them to make good contact (Unless they are a Santana who walks a ton and hits a ton....and mashes the ball, I'll still target that) If you have 8 guys who can just get on base and make contact, your team will be in great shape.

2) Defense- All three OFs ideally are CFers. CF is usually your most athletic and talent defensive OF. If you have Trent Clark LF, Maverick Phillips CF, Monte Harrison RF some day.....that is a lot of speed and talent of there. The OF becomes very small for offense. In the infield, 2B, SS, and 3B should all be former SS's. This could simply mean Gatewood or Lara out grew the position but have the defensive talent like Manny Machado that you are a defensive asset, not liability.

3. Impact Speed/Baserunning/ Arms: attributes that they possess such as speed. Or look at Michael Reed, not fastest guy in the world but he can steal, stretch singles to doubles and doubles to triples. His base running impacts the game. Strong arms across the diamond with a lot of range helps defense a lot.

4. Attitude: Need to be confident, need to be a team guy, need to not be an arrogant, cocky, selfish, lazy, not hustle at times...Essentially if they are anything like Brett Lawrie, they can't be in the clubhouse. 2011 is perfect example of a team that has great chemistry and has fun. Moreover, guys like Trent Clark who never stop hustling will make things happen when you need them to the most.

If your team gets on base a lot, plays excellent defense, can impact game on bases/field, and has hard working, hustling, good team guys.....you will win a lot of baseball games. Power is just gravy.

Once I create my logjam in the minors, I find the guys who fit what I am looking for and then make trades accordingly to fill holes.

Younggeezy1 for GM!!! That's spot on!!

Solid prospect for solid prospect deals just don't happen....Too Rare to go Rumormill.

Now playing the rules off that list

Taylor:he'll be a Logan Schafer type clone and be absolutely disappointing. Please dump that disappointment in to someone else's lap

Coulter: The man doesn't have the defense to play him. He's already aging for a prospect stuck in A ball

Wagner: Just a swingman/bullpen arm

Taylor Williams: When will he play? 24 and aging

Yadiel Rivera: He should be promoted in Sept and getting playing time at SS over Segura. Raise some value in his stock by doing so.

Roache: We've got Santana sell off Roache who's a step below with the bat if not more.

Wren: isn't a top 30 prospect and its rather sad he's on the list. Bumgarner has more talent than Wren with the Bat

Goforth: just a bullpen guy who lacks control

Tyler Cravy: Swingman/Bullpen arm but not an 8th/9th inn closing arm=expendable like Wagner

Denson: Of course. I don't know why he's in the top 30 as well. He's done nothing deserving.

Houser: Sounds like a swingman/bullpen arm

Johnson: Swingman/bullpen arm

Gatewood is a popular choice, but he's of the if he gets it, watch out talent side. This is a kid who can be the best of any Brewers prospect/Arcia included because what he can do power-wise for a SS.

At some point who will be Rule 5 concerns first? Thats why I'm flipping Coulter and Roache. All these Swingman types when there's talented depth forthcoming in arms with Medeiros/Williams/Kirby/Ponce makes them very expendable. Rivera I hope is like a Didi Gregarious and nets the team some quality arm or even 8th inning arm/closer type like Knebel. Something to snag say a Kelvin Herrera...obviously adding some piece also.

Archived