Brewer Fanatic

Helena's David Denson Comes Out As Gay, First in Affiliated Pro Baseball

jw5511986
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an article from the [cite][abbr=Los Angeles]LA[/abbr] Times[/cite]:

David Denson, pro baseball's first openly gay player, has help on his journey

I think this sums up why David made his announcement.

He was tired of remembering who he told and who he hadn't told. He just wanted to play with a clear head.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Staff

'We got his back': Sen. Kaufmann among group of fans showing support for David Denson at Sunday's game

Ryan Collingwood, Helena Independent Record

PHOTO GALLERY: Related photos at link

Sen. Christine Kaufmann, Montana's first openly gay state senator, has occupied a spot in the Montana Legislature for nearly 15 years.

Her longtime baseball fandom dwarfs that number.

Growing up in Illinois, the 63-year-old's affinity for the game was derived from following the Chicago Cubs -- a team Kaufmann, a Democrat representing Senate District 41 in Helena, still keeps a watchful eye on.

When news broke last weekend that Helena Brewers slugger David Denson had become the first-ever openly gay active baseball player affiliated with a Major League Baseball organization, it hit Kaufmann -- a barrier-breaker herself -- on multiple fronts.

"As a baseball fan it was pretty special to me to realize that the first gay player with major league ties was playing right here in Helena," said Kaufmann on Sunday afternoon as she took in a Brewers game with her wife, Pat Kemp, and a group of about 20 other Denson supporters donning gay pride T-shirts or stickers.

Grouped around a rainbow flag hanging from the metallic first-baseline bleachers at Kindrick Legion Field were some of Montana's most prominent LBGT advocates, including Kaufmann. Also in attendance were Big Sky Pride leader Kevin Hamm, Montana Human Rights Network executive Kim Abbott and Niki Zupanic of the American Civil Liberties Union.

At the peak of the Denson media buzz, hastily reported by every major media outlet in the country, Kaufmann contacted Hamm in an effort to organize a gathering to support the 20-year-old designated hitter.

Hamm, whose Big Sky Pride organization has brought awareness and support through events across the state, then got in touch with Helena Brewers General Manager Paul Fetz.

"We told (Fetz) we wanted to come show our support because we know how big of a pain in the ass it can be to come out," Hamm said.

Hamm would know.

Growing up in Helena in the late 1980s and early '90s, Hamm kept his homosexuality undisclosed in high school and went years before coming out, which took its mental toll.

In the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article that broke the story, Denson -- who has since refused interviews with media in an effort to focus solely on baseball -- said that keeping his sexual orientation a secret even began to effect his game.

"I remember what it was like being a gay kid growing up here, and I don't want anyone to have to go through that," Hamm said. "And that's why I want people to know (Big Sky Pride) exists.

"We got a bunch of gays, lesbians, bisexuals, trans and allies, and the point is we don't care what you are," Hamm continued. "We just want you to be you and we want to reinforce that with Denson and also his teammates."

Drafted in the 15th round of the MLB Draft out his Los Angeles-area high school, Denson boasts a career batting average of just .237 but has had some success with Milwaukee's rookie affiliate in the Pioneer League this summer. The 6-foot-3, 240-pound Denson was selected for the Pioneer League All-Star team, where he was later named the game's MVP, and has been on a recent tear at the plate.

Denson combined for two home runs, four RBIs and a double in wins over the Great Falls Voyagers Friday and Saturday and found himself being intentionally walked Sunday in the bottom of the fifth inning with runners on second and third. He went 0 for 3 on the day.

Just the 27th-ranked prospect in Milwaukee's farm system, the likelihood of Denson ascending to the big leagues is thin. But that doesn't change the significance of what he's done, according to Hamm.

"It's really impressive to know that you have somebody that's part of an organization that has national significance," said Hamm, who got to meet Denson after Sunday's game. "He decided to be out and honest with who he was and that's how we think everyone should be."

Wearing a Montana-shaped sticker with rainbow colors, Fetz had little to say about the saga that's had his small-town ballclub being mentioned in national conversation the last eight days.

"Baseball is for everyone," Fetz said.

Kaufmann proved to the Treasure State that a seat at the Capitol was for everyone, too.

Kaufmann was openly gay in the early 1980s as a graduate student at the University of Montana and said she found Missoula, and later on the rest of the state, welcoming. So welcoming, in fact, that she was eventually elected to the Montana House in 2000. She was appointed to Ken Toole's Helena-area senate seat in late 2006 and has since won reelection in 2008 and 2012.

Today, Kaufmann is one of three openly gay members of the Montana Legislature -- the other two are Sen. Diane Sands and Rep. Bryce Bennet, both of Missoula.

"I was the first state senator to come out in Montana, and it's hard to be the first," Kaufmann said. "So we wanted to show David that Helena is a welcoming place and that we got his back and we appreciate the courage to come out."

She understands the plight others who have come out and haven't received the brand of support Denson is getting.

"Montana has sometimes been seen as not the easiest place to stay around once someone comes out or discover that they're gay or lesbian and a lot of them are leaving the state," Kaufmann said. "We'd like them to know that Montana is a great place to be and times have changed."

Denson was in Appleton last night. I didn't sense any type of reaction from the crowd (supportive or otherwise).

I would guess the vast majority of people who go to a Trats game have no clue who he is.

The fans in the section 100 box were cheering pretty hard for him.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Openly gay player returns to T-Rats

Tim Froberg, Post-Crescent Media

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/a15d399e7ccb86231d817503cd846c68aa30983e/c=224-0-3251-2276&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/08/25/Appleton/B9318586059Z.1_20150825185913_000_GUJBNQR8B.1-0.jpg

Wisconsin Timber Rattler David Denson is all smiles in a game Tuesday against the Burlington Bees at Fox Cities Stadium in Grand Chute. Denson made news earlier this month by being the first player affiliated with a Major League Baseball franchise to come out as gay. (Photo: Dan Powers/Post-Crescent Media)

GRAND CHUTE – David Denson’s life has taken some eventful twists and turns since he opened the baseball season with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.

Denson’s diamond-themed roller-coaster ride started in April when he struggled at the plate for the low Class A Rattlers and was sent down to Helena.

He eventually regained his hitting prowess in rookie league ball, where he earned MVP honors at the Northwest League-Pioneer League All-Star Game.

Denson then made history in mid-August by becoming the first player affiliated with a Major League Baseball franchise to reveal publicly that he is gay.

Two weeks and a promotion later, the 20-year-old Los Angeles native is back at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium where he is working on his game and looking to be judged strictly by his production.

Despite his life-changing revelation, some things remain the same for Denson in Grand Chute. He still plays first base. He still generates a lot of power with a left-handed swing as he showed Tuesday afternoon by banging a double off the left field wall in the Timber Rattlers’ 6-3 win over the Burlington Bees.

And according to manager Matt Erickson and his teammates, he continues to be treated with warmth and respect in the Rattlers’ clubhouse.

“It’s been great having him back,” said Erickson. “He’s a very likable young man. He’s got a fun personality. This isn’t new news to us in the clubhouse. There are a number of people that are close to David, including teammates, that knew this. It’s new news to the nation and the general public, but this is something that’s been out there for a while.

“David spent parts of the last two seasons here. He’s very comfortable in our clubhouse and it’s been no different the past few days.”

Denson agreed to a post-game interview Tuesday with the condition that only baseball matters be discussed (you'll find the audio archive here).

He looked sharp at the plate in his second game back with the Rattlers, going 2-for-3 with a run scored.

“When you come back, you have to focus on taking caring care of business,” said Denson. “Playing this game, you learn that you control what you can control. You let go what you can’t control and focus on the task at hand. You do that to the best of your ability.”

Rattlers shortstop Jake Gatewood, who was elevated Monday from Helena along with Denson, says that teammates at both places haven’t viewed Denson’s announcement as a huge deal.

“He’s our teammate — and there really isn’t much to this,” said Gatewood, the 41st overall selection by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 2014 draft. “He’s our brother, our teammate, and he’s a great teammate. He means well and we’ll help him out. Whenever he’s going through trouble, we’ll be there for him.”

Erickson knew that Denson was troubled by the matter in spring training when Denson met with Becky Schnakenberg, a professional counselor contracted by the Brewers to provide mental health assistance to the players. Denson then sat down with Erickson, Brewers farm director Reid Nichols and hitting coordinator Jeremy Reed and told them in an emotional meeting that he was gay.

“He let us know what he’d been dealing with and the secret he had, so to speak,” said Erickson. “He wanted it to be known. He didn’t know when he wanted to make it public, but wanted us to know at that time. So I feel good about our relationship and the trust we’ve built the last couple years. I know him as a baseball player and a human being and I’m going to do everything I can to help him have success as a baseball player and in his life.”

Rob Zerjav, the Timber Rattlers’ general manager and team president, sensed earlier in the season that something was bothering Denson.

“I think it took a lot of courage for him to do what he did,” said Zerjav. “When he was here earlier this year, you could tell something was wrong. I’m just guessing that’s what it was. It’s good to have him back and I’m sure he feels like a weight has been lifted from him. I’ve always enjoyed David. He’s a very nice young man. We’re happy to have him back and hopefully he can help contribute and be a positive role model for others.”

Erickson feels that Denson should be able to focus on baseball the rest of the season.

“Anybody that is living a secret and is able to come out and let people know who you are, and to be honest with yourself and now your friends and teammates, that’s probably a huge relief,” said Erickson. “Just knowing him and seeing him and how he’s reacted to different parts of his baseball life and the clubhouse life the last couple years, he seems to be in a good place right now.

“While I believe this is a courageous decision, we’re at a time now where this is out in the open. I feel good that he was able to do this. We’ll help him however we can. Hopefully he and Jake (Gatewood) can add some punch to our lineup.”

Denson should be able to do that. Even though he’s hitting .202 for Wisconsin with a homer and six RBI in 89 at bats, he has tremendous power. Burlington retired him only once Tuesday and that was on a long fly ball that nearly cleared the fence in dead center.

“I’m just looking to put the barrel of the bat on the ball, and just hit the ball hard,” said Denson. “As long as you go out there and give 110 percent and play hard all the time, that’s all you can do. Once you start getting caught up in your head and try to do too much at the plate, that’s when you get in trouble.”

Rattlers shortstop Jake Gatewood, who was elevated Monday from Helena along with Denson, says that teammates at both places haven’t viewed Denson’s announcement as a huge deal.

“He’s our teammate — and there really isn’t much to this,” said Gatewood, the 41st overall selection by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 2014 draft. “He’s our brother, our teammate, and he’s a great teammate. He means well and we’ll help him out. Whenever he’s going through trouble, we’ll be there for him.”

Love to see this mentality. I'm sure/assuming it's what Denson is hoping for -- basically it's 'we will support him just like any other teammate'.

Play ball!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope it freed his mind and he reaches his potential. What I don't like is the hero mentality that some of these stories/individuals receive.

I hope he's not targeted with any hate by teammates or other players. I also hope teammates who might be uncomfortable aren't targeted as haters or intolerant either. There's a big difference between hatred and intolerance vs. uncomfortable and disagreeing. It seems lately, many can't wrap their head around that.

Can't we just let the guy play baseball? Whether you support him or not let's just move past all this non-sense and let him get back to becoming a better baseball player.

Maybe he should too? How can you tell people to "just let him play baseball" when he feels he needs a documentary on it?

Think Denson found out this is his only chance to be under the spotlight.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Usually documentary ideas don't come from the subjects of said documentary. In fact, I'd say they hardly ever do.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I prefer to reserve judgment until we've been able to see the documentary. It could be particularly good, particularly bad, or anywhere in between. Right now, we know nothing except for the fact that it exists and its director is an artist who's into transformers.

• 2 months later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Lots of new follow-up from Scott Miller of Bleacher Report here --

Brewers' David Denson Hopes Coming Out Paves Way to Achieving MLB Dream

By Scott Miller , National MLB Columnist

Purely from a baseball perspective, we learn Denson has been moved off of first base and is now strictly a corner outfielder.

That seems odd to me. With as much talent was we have in the OF and with as little talent as we have at 1B it would seem to make sense to leave him there. I guess I was never under the impression that he was a butcher at 1st. Who is our best 1B prospect at this point? Right answer is probably someone who is an OF right now.

Well Tyrone Perry cements job in Wisconsin. That is weird to me, I always thought he was a decent defensive 1B. His bat plays well there, has the body for it,and you mix in log jam, not sure move makes any sense.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Well Tyrone Perry cements job in Wisconsin. That is weird to me, I always thought he was a decent defensive 1B. His bat plays well there, has the body for it,and you mix in log jam, not sure move makes any sense.

I totally agree thought 1b was a need in the future with this team and in the Minors very strange move.

The move to the OF raised my eyebrow too. But unless he's a lousy first baseman, I'd guess that the move wouldn't preclude a move back to 1B in the future if that's where he's ultimately needed. Adding the OF to his repertoire would offer some flexibility, especially if he turns out to be a bench player. If you think in those terms, this might not be a bad idea.

I've been thinking on this for a day now and it doesn't really make sense to me any more than than trying to make Jason Rogers a 3B made sense. I understand where Casey is coming from as it would potentially increase his positional flexibility but OF is perhaps the strongest position in the entire organization.

I realize that I've repeatedly mentioned how he moves better than you'd think for a big man, but he's made significant strides at 1B and

1B is a position that fits him much better as I doubt he'll even cover 70% of the ground our other OFs will. For the most part our OFs are above average to elite athletically and David just isn't in that same class.

Denson was no Alan Sharkey, who's probably the best defensive 1B to come through the organization since they've been with the T-Rats, but again he did make what I considered to be dramatic improvement at 1B from year 1 to year 2 in WI.

If he says patient to a fault then none of this really matters because he's not going to hit enough, but assuming he figures it out at the plate 1B should be his position.

The DH talk for the NL gains a little more traction each year as well so I'm very much past the point of trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived