Brewer Fanatic

Helena's David Denson Comes Out As Gay, First in Affiliated Pro Baseball

jw5511986
I don't agree with the lifestyle, but whatever he chooses to do in his personal life, that's fine. If he can hit pitches on a consistent basis, awesome. I'll cheer for him. I'm not going to cheer for him because his personal choice. Same thing with Michael Sam. Same thing with Tebow.....that's awesome that you love God....I do too.....but if you can't play football, you can't play football. I won't cheer for him just because he's a Christian.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we are all kind of saying the same thing. It's ok to believe one way or the other, so long as that belief doesn't translate into actions that inflict physical, verbal, or psychological pain or harassment on another person just because their beliefs don't align with yours. That's a line that no one should cross.

As for an announcement, I'm guessing the line of thinking was that if you let it out slowly then people will keep asking you about it (or keep whispering about it) as it diffuses slowly throughout those connected with you. While he's in Helena now, (hopefully) he will be in Appleton next year, Brevard the year after, Biloxi the next... if it's not common, public knowledge he might have to keep dealing with the whispers and figuring out who he can trust every year in a new city. I'm guessing that he thinks this is the best way to just get over it, and the timing of the end of the season is not coincidence.

A couple things about this thread are odd to me......

One, this whole thread really started out having nothing to do with the game of baseball. It continued as a pep rally for gay rights. I bring up a different view, get a few kickbacks, and THEN the issue of religion is brought up, how this should be in a different thread. Meaning, you can't have it both ways. Put it immediately in the "religion" or off topic thread or don't. And if you are going to sit on the fence, put a leg on both sides.

Two, whether you want to believe it or not, ALL of us have a sense of morality, the belief in right and wrong. On the spectrum of right/wrong, we can all mostly agree with certain things being bad- murder, rape, abuses, Cubs baseball, etc... However with other subsets, the fact is that many, including those supporting gay rights, will have a wide range of differing opinions with abortion, Robin Hood theft, taxation, honoring authority (police), gambling, prostitution, marrying family, marrying animals, etc...... Meaning, it's an ironic joke to call me out as being intolerant, unevolved, or WRONG. Who now has the set list of absolutes in their back pocket? In all the issues listed above, I try (failing at times in doing so) to line up my beliefs with historical Biblical teachings. Some others seem to pull answers out of thin air on each issue or immediately believe what the media feeds them, regarding differing opinions with disdain.....

Call me kooky, but I doubt you'll find a 'wide range of differing opinions' on marrying animals.

Just sayin'.

In fairness, "wide range" doesn't mean "even distribution". Considering there are documented cases out there of people marrying their pets or whatever, there's your evidence of the vast spectrum of what human beings consider right/wrong.

Nervous topic to post about, but I wanted to stick up for rick's post because I thought it was very good and much bigger than this one example you cited. To be clear, I am not equating this example to the matter at hand, but I think it belongs in the conversation -- albeit on the extreme side.

The way I see it.... Some think if you're a catholic you should only have a relationship with another catholic, others disagree with that belief. Some think promiscuity is okay, others disagree with that belief. Some think polygamy is okay, others disagree with that belief. Examples go on and on, especially expanding to other areas of life. There is an incredible range of differing opinions out there. I don't think there's anything wrong with disagreeing with someone's lifestyle on a belief you hold dear (possibly even sacred) as long as decency towards that individual is maintained. But, now more than ever, it does seem like that's not enough -- on some topics it's considered despicable to not convert to someone else's beliefs. That can be frustrating.

Anyways, can't wait for the day when this type of thing will no longer be news. In these times, however, it is news. And the ridiculousness of the media will attempt to turn news like this into super-hyped-mega-crazy-insane-news. Sigh.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

And the ridiculousness of the media will attempt to turn news like this into super-hyped-mega-crazy-insane-news. Sigh.

I doubt it. As others have said, this is a minor league player in Helena playing for a Brewers affiliate. If he played for a Yankees or Red Sox affiliate out on the East Coast somewhere, it would be a huge story.

A couple things about this thread are odd to me......

One, this whole thread really started out having nothing to do with the game of baseball. It continued as a pep rally for gay rights. I bring up a different view, get a few kickbacks, and THEN the issue of religion is brought up, how this should be in a different thread. Meaning, you can't have it both ways. Put it immediately in the "religion" or off topic thread or don't. And if you are going to sit on the fence, put a leg on both sides.

Two, whether you want to believe it or not, ALL of us have a sense of morality, the belief in right and wrong. On the spectrum of right/wrong, we can all mostly agree with certain things being bad- murder, rape, abuses, Cubs baseball, etc... However with other subsets, the fact is that many, including those supporting gay rights, will have a wide range of differing opinions with abortion, Robin Hood theft, taxation, honoring authority (police), gambling, prostitution, marrying family, marrying animals, etc...... Meaning, it's an ironic joke to call me out as being intolerant, unevolved, or WRONG. Who now has the set list of absolutes in their back pocket? In all the issues listed above, I try (failing at times in doing so) to line up my beliefs with historical Biblical teachings. Some others seem to pull answers out of thin air on each issue or immediately believe what the media feeds them, regarding differing opinions with disdain.....

maybe you just shouldnt have brought up religion in the 13th post when no one else had prior. Just because you have a belief/opinion doesnt mean you have to share it, especially when you admit to knowing you're in the minority.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Let's move on from the religious angle before it becomes a problem.

Thanks!

It's already a problem. People using religion to spread hatred or hiding behind religion as a way to try to get me to accept their hatred as a "belief" is the biggest reason why guys like Denson have had to live in fear. Homosexuals have been beaten, tormented, murdered, scorned, psychologically frayed, disowned, and driven to suicide because people still somehow believe that being attracted to and loving someone of the opposite sex is "evil," all in the name of religion.

I mean, someone in this thread equated being gay to being a murder. That's insane.

We don't need a "wide range of opinions" when one of those opinions is hatred.

And those who say, "He should just concentrate on baseball," or "I don't know why he can't just keep this to himself," are missing the point entirely.

Thanks for this post. In particular, the very last part was heartening because it takes real empathy to see why it absolutely matters.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's interesting to me that when the guy used the word "depression", that people suggest "well he should just focus more on baseball".

Do people actually think that's how depression works? You can just "focus more" on something and choose not to be depressed? Because that's not actually how it works. Not really at all.

And those who say, "He should just concentrate on baseball," or "I don't know why he can't just keep this to himself," are missing the point entirely.

I don't think he needed to keep it to himself. He also didn't need to make a public announcement about it. He wanted to do so, fine, but he didn't need to. Some of his teammates already knew, many others figured he was gay. Sounds like nobody cared, so why not leave it at that? That's my only point in all this. 20 year olds don't care about this stuff anymore, or 99% of them anyhow.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

AUDIO: The radio broadcast voice of the Helena Brewers, Dustin Daniel, conducts the first interview with David Denson since Denson came out publicly on Saturday night

NOTE: Dustin passes along the word that Denson's statement still stands that he is not conducting any further interviews for the foreseeable future.

I don't think he needed to keep it to himself. He also didn't need to make a public announcement about it. He wanted to do so, fine, but he didn't need to. Some of his teammates already knew, many others figured he was gay. Sounds like nobody cared, so why not leave it at that? That's my only point in all this. 20 year olds don't care about this stuff anymore, or 99% of them anyhow.

It matters though. To that 15 year old kid who struggles with not telling his teammates. To that kid growing up who's never seen a gay professional athlete, other than in women's sports.

Every step and every person brings more to the table and helps change the tide of misinformation, hatred, and bigotry.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

maybe you just shouldnt have brought up religion in the 13th post when no one else had prior. Just because you have a belief/opinion doesnt mean you have to share it, especially when you admit to knowing you're in the minority.

Your last sentence....

If the gay rights groups listened to you, they would have given up years ago.

Also, is your last sentence the view of the majority? If not, you better not share it in this forum.

Kidding aside and respectfully, I'm just trying to support my opinion.... Same as everybody else.

I guess I don't understand why it's necessary to make an official statement about your sexuality.

agreed. i have removed all photos of my wife from my facebook wall.

facebook? what's that? My high school students tell me Facebook is for moms in their 30s and 40s to post non-stop pictures of kids while seeking awkward validation and approval that makes them SOOOOO uncool. To look at my blank Facebook page, I see that my students are right. It's hilarious when my friend's wife praises his house projects and he thanks her on Facebook....do they really need to communicate this in a public forum so others can say "aww what a great hubby!"

Anyways, that's my way of changing the commentary more in this thread!

It's interesting to me that when the guy used the word "depression", that people suggest "well he should just focus more on baseball".

Do people actually think that's how depression works? You can just "focus more" on something and choose not to be depressed? Because that's not actually how it works. Not really at all.

Either he can play the game of baseball at a high level or he can't. That goes for the 5 tools as well as his mental makeup. The TEAM goes on with out without a player regardless of the off the field issues.

I am concerned about the Milwaukee Brewers developing quality MLB talent. I am NOT concerned with starting a charity for players that want to make a public statement that doesnt have to do with the game of baseball.

The reality is that Denson on the field is the same a Michael Sam in that he is a non prospect at this point. He will be cut and the Brewers will be looked upon as a homophobic organization that "doesn't get it." This is a distraction that the team doesn't need.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Either he can play the game of baseball at a high level or he can't. That goes for the 5 tools as well as his mental makeup. The TEAM goes on with out without a player regardless of the off the field issues.

I am concerned about the Milwaukee Brewers developing quality MLB talent. I am NOT concerned with starting a charity for players that want to make a public statement that doesnt have to do with the game of baseball.

The reality is that Denson on the field is the same a Michael Sam in that he is a non prospect at this point. He will be cut and the Brewers will be looked upon as a homophobic organization that "doesn't get it." This is a distraction that the team doesn't need.

What people are failing to acknowledge when they say that he should just focus more and play is that when he says he was depressed because of this, it very well could have been affecting his ability to PLAY baseball. Depression is not just something you choose to get over. Depression is a debilitating affliction, and it was almost certainly affecting his ability to do his job, much like a torn ligament would affect a pitcher.

Just because the disability is insidious and not defined by a torn muscle or broken bone doesn't mean it's any less serious, and doesn't mean the organization shouldn't provide any and all help and support that it can.

This has nothing to do with "agreeing with his lifestyle", it's the notion that he can just turn on or off his focus at the drop of a dime. Who knows? Maybe now that this is behind him he'll come out next year and hit .280 with 17-20 bombs.

I'm simply stating that just because a condition doesn't have an obvious outward physical or visible sign, it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be cared for and just dismissed.

Stop with your ridiculous common sense, RoCo. Everyone knows that baseball players are just statistics. That there is no human element. There is no such thing as clubhouse leadership. There is no such thing as clutch/choke. Only things that can be quantified statistically matter in baseball. The rest of life can be summed up by "they're being paid a ton of money, suck it up and deal" or "there is no statistical evidence that backs up your theory" :tongue

Archived