Brewer Fanatic

Helena's David Denson Comes Out As Gay, First in Affiliated Pro Baseball

jw5511986
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think we'd all prefer that David focused on baseball. In the interview, he told us that he was unable to do that before making his orientation public. Specifically, he used the words "depression level." I believe his hope is that coming out will be a means to be able to get his focus back toward becoming a better player.

In the short term, he says he's going to be declining interviews. That's a good move. After that, hopefully things will normalize and his sexuality will become an occasional topic rather than a constant one.

I'd sure hope so. That is a subject that has nothing to do with baseball (and darn near anything else) and I hope it stays that way.

I couldn't care less about his personal orientation, but to make it a distraction on a teams development is something we don't need and is quite frankly selfish. These are young kids and the the task of becoming a major league player is difficult enough without adding non-baseball distractions.

Quite frankly if it's so distracting to the other players that their play suffers then they probably lack the mental fortitude to make it in the big leagues anyway.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we'd all prefer that David focused on baseball. In the interview, he told us that he was unable to do that before making his orientation public. Specifically, he used the words "depression level." I believe his hope is that coming out will be a means to be able to get his focus back toward becoming a better player.

In the short term, he says he's going to be declining interviews. That's a good move. After that, hopefully things will normalize and his sexuality will become an occasional topic rather than a constant one.

I'd sure hope so. That is a subject that has nothing to do with baseball (and darn near anything else) and I hope it stays that way.

I couldn't care less about his personal orientation, but to make it a distraction on a teams development is something we don't need and is quite frankly selfish. These are young kids and the the task of becoming a major league player is difficult enough without adding non-baseball distractions.

Quite frankly if it's so distracting to the other players that their play suffers then they probably lack the mental fortitude to make it in the big leagues anyway.

Isnt the reason Denson stated for making his orientation public in the first place was depression/mental fortitude issues himself?

He was hitting .195 at low A before his demotion. Sounds like he should be focusing a whole lot more on hitting and a whole lot less on his off the field issues.

Every person is different in how they deal with adversity, stress, success, whatever. Denson sounds like a pretty serious and introspective young man. Putting his sexuality into a box and hiding it from everyone might work for some people, but it sounded like it wasn't working for him. When words like 'depression' start creeping into someone's conversation, that's not insignificant. It's not just about him operating as a baseball player, but as a human being.

It sounds like this was the step he, as an individual, needed to take. He doesn't seem to have done it without a lot of serious thought - and not without the support of his teammates and organization and MLB. And I'm sure he knows there will be consequences. He will now forever be the 'gay' baseball player. His sexuality will forever be attached to everything he does. He'll be called out - in good and bad ways - because of his sexuality. But as a gay person I know once told me, his life before he came out was living a lie. He lied everyday to his friends, his friends, his co-workers. He lied to himself. It crushed him at times to play the game of being straight. Some people can do that, others can't. Denson just didn't sound like he was one of those people who could play the game.

I'm happy for the guy because he seems at peace with the decision. Sure it might end up being a cynical ploy for attention, but I'll take him for his word right now and just hope he's happy. And in the end, I just want him to be a good ball player - not a gay one - and I hope that's what he wants as well.

I'm happy for the guy because he seems at peace with the decision. Sure it might end up being a cynical ploy for attention, but I'll take him for his word right now and just hope he's happy. And in the end, I just want him to be a good ball player - not a gay one - and I hope that's what he wants as well.

Agreed.

I guess I don't understand why it's necessary to make an official statement about your sexuality. If you want to tell the guys on the team you're gay, fine. (My guess is this was probably not a secret anyhow, considering how much time these guys spend with each other.) But either way, I don't know why there needs to be a big announcement.

We all know he isn't the first gay player, or even the first that was widely known by his teammates (and probably the league.) But we never heard about it. Why? Almost nobody cares anymore. Maybe a player here and there had issues with it, but they deal with it. Maybe there's even some ribbing that goes on, but players will find anything to tease their teammates about.

I guess my point is this. I thought we were beyond having to "officially" come out of the closet. Just keep your personal life personal, if anybody asks you can either answer the question or not. Then get on with it. Because honestly, I'm guessing 90% of fans feel the same way I do, which is I rather have a gay player that hits .900 rather than a straight player that hits .600.

Finally, if a player DOES have a problem with it that is their right. As long as they treat Denson with respect, a player shouldn't have to go to some sort of sensitivity training if they don't agree.

I guess I don't understand why it's necessary to make an official statement about your sexuality. If you want to tell the guys on the team you're gay, fine. (My guess is this was probably not a secret anyhow, considering how much time these guys spend with each other.) But either way, I don't know why there needs to be a big announcement.

In an ideal world you're right - it isn't a big deal. But in the end, I think that sooner or later the word would get around and it would become public knowledge (and a news story). Just sort of downplaying things would have lead to a different kind of scrutiny, but ultimately he'd have to answer the question. He elected to do it through an interview. I don't know if it was a big announcement - it's not like there was a press conference. He appears to have talked a lot with the MLB inclusion rep, Billy Bean, so I'm sure he knew his options. Maybe the interview just let him get it all done at once instead of a hundred questions and/or innuendos following him around.

Ultimately, it is newsworthy, whether we think it is or not. But I can say that about the Kardashians or whatever.

Kudos to Denson for coming out. The ultimate reason that it's a big deal is that there is still a ton of homophobia in the world and especially in sports. The fact that a significant amount people think it's a reasonable for a teammate to not "agree" with another person's sexual orientation says enough. Luckily that line of thinking is in decline and things are better, but there is a long long way to go. Most likely there will be many more like Denson to follow suit so that it becomes less and less newsworthy.

I agree with FVBrewerFan. It's none of my business, nor anyone that doesn't deal with him on a daily basis. Nor is it appropriate for me to express my views on this topic one way or another, so I won't. But by proclaiming to the world, he used baseball to make himself an hero or a victim depending on one's perspective, much like Michael Sam did with football. I'm all for openness but I really don't want to know or care what a guy I don't know personally does away from his sport.

He also put the Brewers organization on the spot when the time comes as it does for 80-85% of minor leaguers to hand them their release down the road.

It would have ended up being a news story one way or the other. It's better that the story was handled on David's terms rather than having to be put on the spot in an uncomfortable situation. It also frees his teammates from having to watch what they say about him.

In time, a player's sexual orientation will hopefully become a footnote. It's something we're likely to know simply because players are celebrities and we tend to know a little about their lives outside of sports. But before fans and the press start thinking of orientation as simply a footnote, it's going to take a few more players coming out, including some at the Major League level.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It's a little disappointing that my post on the issue was deleted with no explanation as to why. I wasn't gay bashing or gay supporting, what I said was basically what others in this thread have said, why does it matter in any way who the kid sleeps with. Why is it an issue for anyone other than Denson?

:tired

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It's really as simple as this: Straight players can casually speak about having a girlfriend/wife/etc. In that sense, they are outing themselves as straight all the time. If a gay player were to casually a boyfriend/husband/partner, the media would freak out. Denson is getting out in front of the story, and we hope he can devote energy and focus to playing.

Let's move on from the religious angle before it becomes a problem.

Thanks!

It's already a problem. People using religion to spread hatred or hiding behind religion as a way to try to get me to accept their hatred as a "belief" is the biggest reason why guys like Denson have had to live in fear. Homosexuals have been beaten, tormented, murdered, scorned, psychologically frayed, disowned, and driven to suicide because people still somehow believe that being attracted to and loving someone of the opposite sex is "evil," all in the name of religion.

I mean, someone in this thread equated being gay to being a murder. That's insane.

We don't need a "wide range of opinions" when one of those opinions is hatred.

And those who say, "He should just concentrate on baseball," or "I don't know why he can't just keep this to himself," are missing the point entirely.

It's already a problem. People using religion to spread hatred or hiding behind religion as a way to try to get me to accept their hatred as a "belief" is the biggest reason why guys like Denson have had to live in fear.

You may not like it, I may not like it, but people are entitled to their beliefs- religious or otherwise. I know people who think like this, and they don't "hate." They simply don't believe in the lifestyle, they believe it's a choice, etc. We can all say that's stupid, old-fashioned, whatever, but they have a right to believe what they want to believe.

It would have ended up being a news story one way or the other.

Maybe. Probably. But if he just let it be known he's gay in a casual conversation with teammates, I would expect some shrugging of shoulders, maybe some would be surprised, but that's about it.

Because again, I guarantee there have been other gay players who didn't hide it, or proclaim it either. Never became a media story, everyone just kept on doing what they're doing.

It's only been the last 10 years of human existence when believing that marriage is between a man and a woman has that been termed "hate" by some. Every religion and/or social order dictates by non religious authorities believed that for thousands of years of human existence. Now suddenly it's hate if you don't agree with the "enlightened" who think they know better. Who are the intolerant ones exactly?

It's really as simple as this: Straight players can casually speak about having a girlfriend/wife/etc. In that sense, they are outing themselves as straight all the time. If a gay player were to casually (mention) a boyfriend/husband/partner, the media would freak out. Denson is getting out in front of the story, and we hope he can devote energy and focus to playing.

according to the 2015 milwaukee brewers media guide, adam lind is married. his wife's name is lakeyshia. the couple has a daughter named martynne and a son named louie.

nearly every other teammate has an entry sharing similar details. heck, i remember seeing a twins media guide that listed the maiden names of players' wives.

soon, it'll be common sense to see entries like this regardless of orientation, because the sense of the commons is changing.

Much has changed for gay people over the last few decades. A player coming out is going to probably be greeted by a lot of shrugs and 'so what'. But it wasn't that long ago that Glenn Burke was harassed because it was known he was gay. Billy Martin introduced him once with, "Oh, by the way, this is Glenn Burke and he’s a f----t." A lot has changed, however. I think for the better.

As I said, I hope Denson finds nothing but peace in his decision. I hope he doesn't let his life become a circus, sort of what happened to Michael Sam. Being a good baseball player will be the best thing that can happen for the guy.

As I said, I hope Denson finds nothing but peace in his decision. I hope he doesn't let his life become a circus, sort of what happened to Michael Sam. Being a good baseball player will be the best thing that can happen for the guy.

Very well said.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The reason for asking people to curtail the religious discussion is that those debates haven't ended well around here. It was tried, and because it failed so badly, the request to keep politics and religion off the board was added to Fan Forum Etiquette. Sometimes, there's a fine line, and the moderators recognize that. This thread has touched on both sides of the religious issue, and that's plenty.

reillymcshane, we don't filter slurs because we figure that people know when they're inappropriate and because there might be times that they might legitimately fit into a discussion. As you mentioned, Billy Martin actually did refer to Glenn Burke as a "faggot" when introducing him to his new teammates.

djoctagone, that's a great point about the media guide.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I know Im in the minority, but Id prefer he focus on playing baseball. Michael Sam made himself into something bigger than the game and ultimately, he couldn't handle what he brought on himself. Im also sure his teammates and coaches couldn't have enjoyed all the extra questioning.

His orientation is nobody's business, and he is paid to work on becoming a prospect.

I have to agree here.

I hope David Denson does well, I hope that this works out well for him and that this media storm doesn't end up causing him - or his teammates - trouble.

A media storm can get only so intense when it's focus plays in helena.

Kudos for Denson coming out, oftentimes the mental anguish caused by hiding things or keeping significant secrets far outweighs any stress with having the public knowing who are as a person. I too hope he finds peace with his announcement and eventually there won't be a need for staying in the closet in the developed world. I would be optimistic and say worldwide, but I think the 50% of the world's populace that still view women as property may need to do a bit more evolving before tackling acceptance of an openly gay baseball player.

I could very well be wrong, but the timing coming near the end of the season may be quite helpful in letting things settle down. Even if it does manage to become more than a couple of days worth of story (which is forever these days) the teams will be done in a couple of weeks and everyone goes home. He's not the first athlete, he's in a small market and rookie ball at that it seems a stretch to imagine there being much follow through next year unless someone says something incredibly silly. If he takes off at the plate and suddenly finds himself close to the majors in a couple of years it could take off again, but I'd guess at that point it would be less disruptive.

Unfortunately this issue will never fix itself until either a) A lot of players come out together or b) if a big time player comes out. Because let's be honest one guy here or there doesn't really help nor does a bunch of scrubs coming out. Until they make themselves noticeable in the big picture we will still have these issues.

I wish it wasn't like this because I find it annoying and I simply don't care. Gay? Cool, go play baseball. I really wonder what would happen if these gay players just let it go. Tell people close and not make a big media announcment. What is the media honestly going to do if you just refuse to talk about it and not make it a big deal yourself?

Regardless I don't really care. If this makes him feel better that is all that matters.

I wish it wasn't like this because I find it annoying and I simply don't care. Gay? Cool, go play baseball. I really wonder what would happen if these gay players just let it go. Tell people close and not make a big media announcment. What is the media honestly going to do if you just refuse to talk about it and not make it a big deal yourself?

Regardless I don't really care. If this makes him feel better that is all that matters.

Pretty much my take on it there. My understanding is kind of does happen already. Teammates know and just don't care. The teammates don't run to the media and out the guy and make a fuss, nobody cares anymore. And even those that don't "agree" (or whatever you want to call it) in this day aren't going to treat him any different, if they did the rest of guys around would attack him and he'd be the one on the outside. As an example, look at this thread. Those that say anything against are pretty much corrected and told they're in the wrong immediately by the rest. I mean at this point you're basically celebrated for it, which can also be seen throughout the thread. So those that don't agree will really have no choice but to accept it and in the long run will probably realize it doesn't matter, people are people.

Several players over the years have been asked whether they knew of gay teammates and they've said yes, everyone knows and no one cares. Even with Sam everyone on the Missouri team knew. One of the biggest reason he felt forced to announce it is that it was so well known at Mizzou that he thought it would come out in draft prep by teams anyway so he'd rather get in front of the story.

Its sad that in 2015 this is still even a topic. People are going to have their beliefs either way and that is what makes America great, being entitled to those beliefs. I nearly lost a great friend years ago who said he was terribly afraid of coming out to me that he was gay. We still joke about it to this day, but he has lost friends over it and even gone through bits of depression over how hes been treated. Personally, I dont care if he likes the pole and not the hole...I care about if he can hit a 90mph curveball.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Archived