Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wednesday 8/12

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Colorado Springs Game One

Colorado Springs Game Two

The Sky Sox were routed in the opener, and then RHP David Goforth was asked to close out a 1-0 game in the nightcap.

He didn't, and in hideous fashion --

Round Rock Bottom of the 7th

Pitching Change: David Goforth replaces Tim Dillard.

Ed Lucas singles on a line drive to right fielder Matt Long.

Joey Gallo flies out to left fielder Kyle Wren. Ed Lucas to 2nd.

Michael Choice walks.

With Brett Nicholas batting, wild pitch by David Goforth, Ed Lucas to 3rd. Michael Choice to 2nd.

David Goforth intentionally walks Brett Nicholas.

Beamer Weems walks. Ed Lucas scores. Michael Choice to 3rd. Brett Nicholas to 2nd.

Patrick Cantwell walks. Michael Choice scores. Brett Nicholas to 3rd. Beamer Weems to 2nd.

We'll post the full details by mid-morning, thanks for your patience. We'll be adding a Michael Reed hometown feature as well.

Karsen Lindell has settled in over his last 4 starts (since July 28th)

13.1 IP 13H 2ER 0BB 17K (13:0 K/BB over last 2 games 9IP) he is the oldest of the high school arms after turning 19 in June (Gentry won't even turn 18 until September, Walter won't be 19 until next May)

For the season in 22IP he only has 4 walks to go with 22ks. Has turned into a pretty successful debut season for him.

Man am I glad to see Lara on a 3 game hit streak with a multi hit game tonight, he has needed this for so long. Hopefully he will finish season strong.

Trent Clark is hitting a cool .391 over his last 10 games and has raised his average to .330. He is just so impressive at plate. A true professional hitter that you do see often at 18 years old.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

After our earlier burst of excitement Trent is the only position player that looks like he might get pushed to Wisconsin to start the year. Lara and Demi don't have the strikezone control yet to not get totally worked over. There is also the 8000 OF prospects issue that would seem to make it less likely they would rush Demi. Perry could potentially make the jump, but I think Denson has done enough to get a prolonged shot at Wisconsin again without interference.

Different direction how good is Cooper's defense? I'm starting to get intrigued, especially if he is a good defender at 1st in the Overbay/Olerud mold. Given the quality at first base league wide that would actually be a pretty solid prospect these days.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Colorado Springs Game One

Colorado Springs Game Two

The Sky Sox were routed in the opener, and then RHP David Goforth was asked to close out a 1-0 game in the nightcap.

He didn't, and in hideous fashion --

Round Rock Bottom of the 7th

Pitching Change: David Goforth replaces Tim Dillard.

Ed Lucas singles on a line drive to right fielder Matt Long.

Joey Gallo flies out to left fielder Kyle Wren. Ed Lucas to 2nd.

Michael Choice walks.

With Brett Nicholas batting, wild pitch by David Goforth, Ed Lucas to 3rd. Michael Choice to 2nd.

David Goforth intentionally walks Brett Nicholas.

Beamer Weems walks. Ed Lucas scores. Michael Choice to 3rd. Brett Nicholas to 2nd.

Patrick Cantwell walks. Michael Choice scores. Brett Nicholas to 3rd. Beamer Weems to 2nd.

We'll post the full details by mid-morning, thanks for your patience. We'll be adding a Michael Reed hometown feature as well.

Well, nothing yet from the Sky Sox, nothing of note in the local press in Round Rock, glean what you wish out of the boxes, Domingo Santana had two hits in the opener, so there's that. Oh, and LHP Mike Strong and RHP Tim Dillard were fantastic in the nightcap.

A couple things I am excited about:

1B. Maverick Phillips is leading all of the minors in runs scored and triples and seems to be our leadoff hitter of the future - and a guy in the mold of my favorite player - Paul Molitor....he really reminds me of a lefty hitting Molly.

1A. The announcers are calling him Maverick!!! I did not realize he was going by his middle name....that is awesome

2. Jorge Lopez IS a top 100 prospect...that question I asked earlier this summer has been answered quite definitively - his ranking in the latest BA tools ratings as having the best breaking pitch in the entire league tells the tale.....if he can get a third plus pitch he would have the makings of an ace.

3. Garrett Cooper is a grampa, yes, I know he is 24 and will turn 25 in offseason, but to do what he is doing in the FSL makes me take serious notice.

4. Trent Clark is the son Tony Gwynn never had (with apologies to good guy TG JR).....I know the league is beneath him, but Clark is a professional hitter at the age of 18

A couple things I am excited about:

1B. Maverick Phillips is leading all of the minors in runs scored and triples and seems to be our leadoff hitter of the future - and a guy in the mold of my favorite player - Paul Molitor....he really reminds me of a lefty hitting Molly.

1A. The announcers are calling him Maverick!!! I did not realize he was going by his middle name....that is awesome

2. Jorge Lopez IS a top 100 prospect...that question I asked earlier this summer has been answered quite definitively - his ranking in the latest BA tools ratings as having the best breaking pitch in the entire league tells the tale.....if he can get a third plus pitch he would have the makings of an ace.

3. Garrett Cooper is a grampa, yes, I know he is 24 and will turn 25 in offseason, but to do what he is doing in the FSL makes me take serious notice.

4. Trent Clark is the son Tony Gwynn never had (with apologies to good guy TG JR).....I know the league is beneath him, but Clark is a professional hitter at the age of 18

Couldn't agree more!

I hope like with Scooter everyone forgets and drops the first name (whose Ryan Gennett?) and goes strictly by Maverick Phillips. 1) it is an awesome name. 2) growing up going strictly by my nickname, it is extremely annoying going by my first name or being identified by my first name. I don't get mad or anything but my identity is based around the name my whole family, friends, family friends and such called me since birth. From his interviews, twitter name, etc he is the same way. His identity is Maverick Phillips has formal name is Brett Phillips.

As a player, he is exciting! Before last nights outburst he was hitting .222 and still had an OBP of .398! His Ks need to drop a little but he has great approach and speed! That double and triple power will most likely translate into power soon as well!

Cooper I can't say enough just reminds me of Overbay. He'll need to breakout at Biloxi next year to prove it but he could be a solid double hitting, high OBP type guy in future.

I talked about Clark before but I see no way he is not in Wisconsin next season to start. He is just too advanced at the plate

I forget who it was, Ray Montgomery maybe, but after Clark was drafted it was said that he'd only need a few years in the minors. Probably a bit of hyperbole, but also might lend to the notion of the Brewers pushing him much like they tried to do with Harrison and Gatewood. Clark would certainly seem to stand a better chance than those two against full season pitching in his first full year.

Tyrone Taylor has really gotten lost in all of the hype for Phillips/Santana/Clark/Harrison (to an extent). He's going to have to put together a nice season next year (probably back in Biloxi) to keep himself near the center of the picture.

I wonder if the Brewers will promote Lopez in September, and give him some big league starts. It would be a nice reward for the season he's had, especially considering what he's had to deal with in regards to his son's medical issues. A major league paycheck for a few weeks would certainly ease the strain a little going into the offseason.

I doubt Lopez is a September call-up. He will likely already have 150IP (a career high) and it probably isn't wise to add more to that total.

That is something to watch also with T.Jungman and Jimmy Nelson. If Lohse is not traded/waived you may actually see him start a couple games at the end of the season to avoid putting to many innings on the young(er) arms.

The general rule of thumb is about 30 IP more than the next highest total for a young pitcher, assuming he's not coming off of an injury. That would put Jorge's cap at around 165-170 this year. He's at 124 now and had five more scheduled starts. He'll be able to finish out the year in Biloxi without too much of a problem, and they could always skip a start in there somewhere.

And he doesn't even need to start if he's called up, just the experience of being in the big leagues for 3-4 weeks would be a nice reward for the season he's had. Plus, like I said, he gets a big league paycheck for a few weeks, and gets MLB health insurance for his family.

Lopez is definitely someone I would promote slowly at this point. Having waited forever to get a home grown rotation I'm looking to line-up a couple of quality starting pitching prospects every year at AA and AAA to promote when injuries happen and to swap out as guy near the end of the their arby years. Peralta, Jungman, and Nelson are very nicely spaced out right now in terms of service time, so I'd hope to continue that. For those mid rotation types (2-4 in my thinking) they often need some time to really develop at the big leagues and spacing them let's you carry those ups and downs towards the backend of your rotation, while the more experienced guys hold down the top. Cravy as a low stuff player is someone you give the extra time to this year to see if he can establish himself. When it comes to pitching I'd spend more time trying to promote those young relief prospects and see how they do.

Regarding Garrett Cooper--I have never seen him play other than in highlights so that's a proviso. Listening to the games though, I would say he is about average with the glove for 1B. He is 6' 6" though so he has the size. Can he convert some of his doubles power into HR's? I don't think his doubles have generally been on ground balls like Tyrone Taylor had last year. They are mainly gap hits to the wall.

As for Lopez being called up, I doubt it due to Biloxi playoffs. Think the Brewers will try to win that championship. It's important to the players, their confidence, and teaching that wave to win together. Lopez is the teams go to guy.

Again, I'm not saying promoting Lopez to the Brewers, whether it be after the AA season or after the AA post-season, would solely be a merit-based move. Not that it hasn't been earned either. If you recall a few years ago, after the Brewer sent Fiers down, they had him pitch in Brevard so he could be closer to his terminally ill mom (he even left the team on days he wasn't pitching, IIRC).

Giving Lopez an MLB paycheck or two, and probably even more importantly, MLB insurance, would be a huge deal for him, and it is something the Brewers could do for him with no real downside for themselves. In all likelihood, he isn't making the team next year out of spring training so the service time piece of it isn't an issue.

I forget who it was, Ray Montgomery maybe, but after Clark was drafted it was said that he'd only need a few years in the minors. Probably a bit of hyperbole, but also might lend to the notion of the Brewers pushing him much like they tried to do with Harrison and Gatewood. Clark would certainly seem to stand a better chance than those two against full season pitching in his first full year.

Tyrone Taylor has really gotten lost in all of the hype for Phillips/Santana/Clark/Harrison (to an extent). He's going to have to put together a nice season next year (probably back in Biloxi) to keep himself near the center of the picture.

I wonder if the Brewers will promote Lopez in September, and give him some big league starts. It would be a nice reward for the season he's had, especially considering what he's had to deal with in regards to his son's medical issues. A major league paycheck for a few weeks would certainly ease the strain a little going into the offseason.

What about using Taylor as trade bait - say to sweeten a Garza package?

Its a terrible idea to use talent to trade away undesired contracts. I'd rather eat the contract (figuratively or literally).

I'm not opposed to trading him at all, if you can trade Garza and Taylor for a future 3b, go for it. Phillips is same age as Taylor and far more advanced as of right now. Reed & Santana are only a year older than him. Then add Roache & Coulter to mix....he is expendable

I've harped on Taylor's swing. Nearing the end of the season and it's produced 2HRs thus far. Looking at his numbers we're talking Jean Segura of this season stats. As your CF/4th OF? Thats at AA level. Taylor is very expendable.

Anyway, I came here because I wanted to ask where have the HRs gone from Coulter? Didnt he have 9HRs in the first month? He's now at 11. Age 22 at A adv. .246BA This is terrible numbers by this guy. He could be marked as a non-prospect should this continue. He's nowhere close to fast tracking an "Advanced" bat to the Big Leagues. You would figure after that start he'd have advanced to AA by now. But instead Roache has advanced and is bypassing Coulter as the true prospect. Is Coulter playing through an injury?

Both are valid concerns, but Roache is a good example of the virtue of patience with guys who have tools. Both Taylor and Coulter have had more good performances than Roache as players, so concern yes but we don't want to discount them too much for an off year, or couple of months.

Alternatively go check out the early career WAR numbers for Escobar, Cain, and Brantley multiple years of nothing special before their current peaks.

I'm not worried about Coulter, being a power hitter in FSL is about as friendly as being a pitcher in Colorado Springs. The hitters who excel at BC are you slap to short line drive hitters. With that said he has not been good for most of the season at all. If he gets to Biloxi next year, I have a feeling he will be back on track

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Its a terrible idea to use talent to trade away undesired contracts. I'd rather eat the contract (figuratively or literally).

I'm not opposed to trading him at all, if you can trade Garza and Taylor for a future 3b, go for it. Phillips is same age as Taylor and far more advanced as of right now. Reed & Santana are only a year older than him. Then add Roache & Coulter to mix....he is expendable

Fair enough. I read your post add a way to dump Garcia rather than a way to obtain something of value in return.

Archived