Brewer Fanatic

Heading to Wrigley for the first time on 8-13-15

jrodbrewcrew
The wife and I are getting up early tomorrow to head to Wrigley from Madison for a day trip tomorrow. We're planning on catching a bus at the Yellow line (since the train track is being serviced currently), and then grabbing the Red line to Wrigley. We got tickets off of Stubhub in Section 138 for $48 a piece. Any advice for first timers heading down there? Any bars/attractions we should hit up before the game? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated, and hopefully we can stop the Cubbies from raising the "W" flag!

Any of the bars in the area are good. There is a Wisconsin bar on Clark called Deuces with a good outdoor area. Personally I like the irish dive bar next to it called Irish Oak but if you want to be outside Deuces would be good. The best Wisconsin bar down there is called Will's Northwoods Inn, completely WI themed and I would think tomorrow they would have some kind of activity going on. It's walkable to Wrigley but not really in Wrigleyville.

Will's is great - I think it's southwest of wrigleyville on Racine...too far off the beaten path to pregame for a Cubs game, but awesome to catch Packer/Badger games.

Good bars close to the stadium to visit if you don't want to feel like you're in a frat party include Casey Moran's (nw of stadium), goose island (on clark south of wrigley), or a few good places along Southport a few blocks west of wrigley (Justins and Schoolyard have great outdoor beer gardens).

Yea definitely not in the area but they have good food so you could start your day there and then go down to the Wrigleyville area. They've had breakfast some days but not others. With a brewers/cubs game they might have some activity going on for WI people too. If you've never been down there though, nothing wrong with just walking around and going into one that has a lot of people. Chances are the food will be good and it'll be fun.

Coming from Madison, you might want to consider Wrigley Express bus from Schaumburg (Northwest Transportation Center), right near Woodfield Mall. Departs at 11:15 and drops you right off in front. Usually gets there a hour before first pitch so plenty of time to have a cold one before. Course if you plan on sticking around after game, then not a great idea unless you want to do some shopping at Woodfield.

Archived