Brewer Fanatic

Doug Melvin steps down as GM; moves into advisory role

torts
Doug Melvin is officially gone

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and by gone, I mean gone into an advisory role. GM search is underway, looking for young GM with understanding of Analytics.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Probably a good idea. I know people want Melvin gone outright, but if you want a young GM it wouldn't hurt to have a guy with experience helping you out. Avoid rookie mistakes.

Not to mention Melvin probably knows as many people in baseball as anybody. Nice to have a guy around with his network.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

its a great idea to keep him around, he has a strong relationship with the league and ownership, and if they truly are going after a younger GM, it definitely will be great to have that help around the office.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Love that they're looking for a young GM well versed in analytics.

Where did you read this? I haven't seen any links to any stories yet, so I'm just curious.

Adam McCalvy ‏@AdamMcCalvy

#Brewers have hired executive search firm Korn Ferry to organize GM search. Will target younger candidates with knowledge of analytics.

Where did you read this? I haven't seen any links to any stories yet, so I'm just curious.

So far apps The Score and Team Stream have pushed notifications saying the exact same thing. I haven't bothered to go read up yet.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Doug had some definite strengths as a GM and also seems like a very low key person and not a meddle from the shadows kind of person. Doug's strengths also tend to line-up well in a number of areas where a young GM could easily be weaker, so the I like the senior level advisory position. At least in the abstract, reality on the ground could be different in a ton of different ways.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Adam McCalvy ‏@AdamMcCalvy

#Brewers have hired executive search firm Korn Ferry to organize GM search. Will target younger candidates with knowledge of analytics.

Attanasio expressed an interest in having the Brewers join the wave of teams that have turned to young GMs with a focus on analytics, but said he was open to a wide range of potential candidates.

From McCalvy's article on brewers.com - http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/142459798/brewers-gm-doug-melvin-to-be-advisor

Melvin's tenure has been a net positive for the organization, even if it is ending on a bit of a sour note.

I'm okay with the search for a younger candidate with knowledge of analytics....so long as that's not code for "We're hiring the owner's kid to run the team."

I've never understood this movement to young GMs with knowledge of analytics. Why can't you hire those people, as the Brewers have, without having to make them GM? Analytics has little or nothing to do with drafting players. Has little or noting to do with developing players. Nor does it have anything to do with when is the right time to bring up a prospect, what is a fair return for Gomez/Fiers.

My first question to any GM candidate would be this. "Who are the top 5 scouts in terms of identifying pitchers, and why? How many of them do you think you can convince to come over to the Brewers?" Then, same question, only replace "scout" with "pitching coach." Not only at MLB level, but instructional league on up.

I'm not going to get the answers I'm looking for from some 26 yr old MBA from Yale. The new GM doesn't need to be 87 either, but around long enough in a successful organization. Someone who is well-respected, and someone who knows talented people- not only in MLB, but MiLB also.

This organization needs elite pitching talent at every level, and be able to sustain that for years. That's how you get to be a true contender, and stay there. Not with a calculator. It takes someone who can bring in the right people to identify and develop pitching, along with systems and procedures to keep them healthy, how to build up innings, teach them a 3rd pitch, on and on...and on.

I'm not against analytics. Analytics brought us Adam Lind, a perfect "money ball" player. Not a big name, but look at the production you get for his salary and that is true value. That's where analytics come in. What FA out there is a good value, making trades that involve MLB player for MLB player, etc. That is needed, and you need to have a strong analytics dept. But to me, HS/college scouts, advance scouts, and the player development people are far more important to a team like the Brewers.

He's actually left the organization in a pretty good spot to rebuild for a run in 2 years. Farm system is stocked up with some high upside talent. Not like the Braun, Fielder, Weeks years but on the right track. The major league roster has some talent that can be sold.

After years of not playing any meaningful ball in September the Brewers had a few decent runs. Nothing deep, so I dock him for that. And it wasn't consistent year and and year out. Few too many veteran signings past their prime for my liking. And I can't say they've had success with managers either.

I give Melvin a solid B. Thanks Dougie. Enjoy your ride into the sunset.

Well GMs focus much more on the free agents than they do drafting and developing.... A GM hires people he trust like Ray Montgomery and Nichols and let them do there thing while they focus on handling the major league roster. He has power and input in decisions, however, no GM in history could do their MLB stuff, developing players stuff, and drafting stuff. They simply find guys they trust and that mesh well with their long term goals.

Analytic focus helps bring right players to MLB club in trades, free agency, and managing 25 man roster(GMs key focus) for player development, it sets benchmarks for players. If player A has sustained success while having a FIP around this, BB% around that, and other advanced metrics that show they are ready to promote, they move up. Otherwise they keep working at mastering level they are at. For player scouting, it focuses scouts to certain skills and ability. Instead of targeting your boom or bust Jake Gatewoods who make little contact or walk little, you target your Trent Clark, Maverick Phillips, Michael Reec, Garrett Cooper type guys who are professional hitters who get on base.

So I will have to disagree that analytic framework and GMs are not useful. Or that the GMs job is to do and control every single aspect of the team and system. GM doesn't scout amatures in hs, college, independent ball. He doesn't often go scout other teams minor league players. He has people in place for those things

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I don't really care about analytics, to me that's just a catch phrase or maybe posturing is a better word.

I just want someone who's going to view baseball and organization building differently than what's been historically done. I want the next Friedman but I'm worried we'll get "a good baseball man" who's like 26 of the other GMs out there. Regardless it doesn't matter who's the GM if he's not given free reign to run the team his way.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Well GMs focus much more on the free agents than they do drafting and developing.... A GM hires people he trust

Yes, that's exactly what I said. So, who's more likely to hire the right people? A 26 yr old with little to no MLB experience, or someone who has been around the block from a successful organization?

Speaking of Reid Nichols, what is everyone's view on him? A lot is made about drafting and acquiring players, but what about Nichols job of development them? He's been around forever and it seems like there isn't always a plan or consistency with how players are developed. Will he keep his job?

I like the way they are approaching this. No scorched earth, start from scratch mentality. Just work on a smooth transition from one to the next. I also think moving Melvin into a senior advisory position allows the team to tap into all the knowledge he gathered throughout his time in the league. No worries about our scouting director hacking another team's system to find out if they are stealing proprietary info.

It would seem like a waste of resources, for instance, to have spent years revamping how to draft and develop pitching if we jettisoned Melvin now and he took that info with him at about the time it is starting to pay off.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Thank you Doug, for a lot of reasons. Hiring Doug Melvin was the right thing to do at the time, just as replacing him is the right thing to do today.

13 years at the helm is a long time for a GM, I support a change, but I'm also glad the team is keeping Doug around.

Archived