Brewer Fanatic

August Waivers

Already August 11th and I haven't heard a word on anyone being traded or clearing waivers. Is this strange or common? I truly can't remember how this usually works.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Already August 11th and I haven't heard a word on anyone being traded or clearing waivers. Is this strange or common? I truly can't remember how this usually works.

Braves and Indians completed a significant deal a few days ago, Chris Johnson to Indians, for Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn in a deal involving bad contracts.

The waiver deals pick up toward the end of the month as teams try and set a playoff roster. We don't hear about deals getting blocked.

I just hope we are trying to move a few more pieces.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Between the smaller market and the fact that the Brewers tend to run a quiet ship we generally hear almost nothing this time of year until a deal happens. I'd be surprised if anybody outside of our young players was actually claimed and then mostly the pitchers plus Davis and Segura. Cotts maybe since there would be little risk in absorbing his salary.

• 3 weeks later...
K-Rod has finally been put on revocable waivers. We should know today if a claim was made.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/08/francisco-rodriguez-darren-oday-waivers.html

not sure why you would wait until the end of the month. A few relievers was already traded in August;

Probably a matter of no one out there who will give them enough value in return.

There's a strategy as to when guys are put on waivers. Only a certain number of players can be put on waivers per day, so you can't do everyone at the beginning of the month. If a guy is struggling or hurt they may try to put him through at the beginning of the month and slip him through. Sometimes they put guys on the same day as a big name player to see if teams will overlook him (decoy effect). Waiting until the end of the month will reduce the salary hit a team will take by one month, making some players a little more appealing at the end of the month than at the beginning.

As for K-Rod, I think the biggest thing was that a team might be more desperate at the end of the month than at the beginning. The only contending team I saw with a real hole at closer was TOR; there probably wasn't much demand for K-Rod. But at the end of the month, if a team is struggling with their bullpen, they might be more desperate.

Likely the most leverage a team has is when another team really wants a player and makes a claim; then the team can threaten to pull him back and ask for more in return to give him up. When teams get emotionally involved with contending is when they give up the most for a player. I don't think the Brewers will just give away K-Rod; he may be worth more to the Brewers than any other team, but he's pitching really well so there is no need to give him away. His salary is market value for a closer at worst, a bargain compared to some others (Papelbon, Robertson, what Chapman will get on his next deal), so might as well hang on to him until you can get good value for him.

The Mets are supposedly making a deal for an unnamed reliever. Is it K-Rod? It would make sense.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived