Brewer Fanatic

Soccer Thread 2015-16

trwi7
Goals for this evening:

1. Win vs. Guatemala

2. Advance vs. Colombia

3. Cap-tie Pulisic (sounds like odds of him going to Croatia are low, but Neven Subotic says Hi!)

Two out of three ain't bad?

It's disappointing to miss out on the Olympics again. It will be interesting to see what staff fallout might come of this, since qualifying should be an expectation.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The United States didn't qualify for the olympics? Sad.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems like we've had a rough couple of years trying to watch USMNT players in Europe, but things are looking up. Miazga is starting again for Chelsea, now I'm not sure whether I want to watch Fabian Johnson for Monchengladbach vs. Ingolstadt or Miazga for Chelsea vs. Swansea!

• 2 weeks later...

That referee was awful in the last 15 minutes. Awards West Ham a penalty after a major dive by Winston Reid. That flop was probably as bad as the dive by Vardy in the box that gave him his second yellow. Since Reid was already on a yellow, that should've been another and a red which makes it 10 on 10 with Leicester still holding the 1-0 lead.

Then after West Ham take the lead Huth is grabbed around the neck by Ogbanna right in front of the ref. Nothing is called and it looks like Leicester's last chance to get a point is up. Then in the last seconds, I don't know if it was a makeup call or not but a terrible penalty call gives Leicester the chance to tie it.

That ref should be suspended.

I was only able to watch until halftime, but sounds like a mess. Should Tottenham beat Stoke today, things may get interesting.

Great touch in tight space by Pulisic and he's now the youngest non-German to score in the Bundesliga:

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2016/4/17/11446670/christian-pulisic-scores-first-borussia-dortmund-goal

He also put in some great crosses, from reading up on his performance he was disruptive off the ball as well. At this point, I can't imagine he shouldn't be starting for the USMNT this summer, unless it's simply to be conservative with a young player's legs.

I watched a lot of the game, and I thought Pulisic looked good vs. Hamburg. He's a very solid outside MF, and I agree he should be starting for the USMNT, with the hopes of him being a starter in two years in Russia.

Pulisic is now the youngest ever in the Bundesliga to two goals. This one was the result of a sloppy rebound, but he read it perfectly.

Leicester are in complete control over Swansea. This will put them 8 points up, though Spurs have four games left to Leicester's three. I suppose you can consider their magic number to be 5 in terms of # of Leicester points + # of Tottenham points dropped, as they won't pass Tottenham on GD.

4 years after reports of horrible working conditions and abuse started, FIFA has announced they are going to "monitor the situation" in Qatar.

What a joke.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Verified Member
They've done it! Chelsea came back from two goals down against Spurs to draw. Leicester City are the Premier League Champions!

That was fun to follow the last month. Glad they got it done this weekend as I have to work this Saturday and will miss the matches. Spurs self-destructing in the second half with the season on the line, lucky they finished with eleven men on the pitch.

Verified Member
They've done it! Chelsea came back from two goals down against Spurs to draw. Leicester City are the Premier League Champions!

That was fun to follow the last month. Glad they got it done this weekend as I have to work this Saturday and will miss the matches. Spurs self-destructing in the second half with the season on the line, lucky they finished with eleven men on the pitch.

They probably should've finished with 8, 9 at the most.

I'm going to laugh pretty hard if Pelegrini takes Manchester City to the Champions League Final while Guardiola and Bayern are home again.

• 3 weeks later...

It's about time for the Copa America.

I caught the friendly vs. Ecuador last night. First half was 45 minutes of hot garbage, save for one clever pass from Dempsey that Zardes made a mess of. Second half saw some less experienced subs come on, and the last half-hour or so the following (I think) lineup:

----------------- Wood -------------------

Pulisic ------------------------------- Zusi

-----------Nagbe--------Bedoya------------

-----------------Bradley--------------------

Johnson---Brooks/Besler--Birnbaum--Yedlin

, and looked very good against about a 50/50 mix of Ecuador's A-team and some inexperienced subs. I generally don't like Fabian Johnson playing LB, but with Pulisic on the wing and Nagbe playing more centrally, I think they can spare his creativity on the wing and cover for the gaping hole that is left back. While it's usually prudent to cool the wheels on the Pulisic hype-train, he was very solid last night. Yedlin's defense has improved immensely at Sunderland, and he only got caught out of position badly once from what I remember. Bradley looked strong as a holding mid. After a somewhat shaky start, Brooks was very strong, and Birnbaum looked serviceable.

I'm not optimistic against Colombia, but I'm much more confident in their chances of getting out of the group stage if Jurgen puts his trust in guys like Nagbe, Wood, and Pulisic (granted, at Pulisic's age it may still be better to be a bit conservative with his legs).

• 2 weeks later...
What the heck happened in the England/Russia contest?

Pretty crazy, right!?!

I'm very much a rookie in my soccer viewing, but I did enjoy watching this weekend. I was doing a good job of catching matches a few years back but have been slacking the last two. Was nice to get back to viewing. Watched Germany vs Ukraine and Poland vs NI.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived