Brewer Fanatic

2007 Draft Resource Thread

I will take Epps for two different reasons: One, his bat and overall game is more proven, as he has a very long track record performing at high level showcase events, meaning he has played with and against the best players in the nation a heck of a lot more than Worthington (Epps has also played for the East Cobb program the past several years). Two, he's a baseball player, there is no question about which sport he intends to pursue.

However, it should be pointed out that Worthington and Epps are two different types of baseball players.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Moskos gets it for being a lefty and having a much better, well-rounded repertoire that could allow him to start. His velocity is so much better in relief (94-96 vs. 89-92) that most think it would be crazy to use him as a starter.

Weathers has only been pitching for a few years now, and his slider isn't that consistent. He has an electric arm though, and he's a senior.

Courtesy of Jim Callis from AskBA, here is the updated draft order with all of the free agent signings. At this point in time, the Brewers second overall pick, the seventh pick in the third round, will be the 95th overall pick. Wow. MLB messed up on this one changing the free agent classifications the way they did. It should be back on track next year, hopefully.

Type A FA David Weathers (who was expected to sign with the Reds back in December), and Type B FAs Ron Villone and Chan Ho Park are the only players that can further effect the draft order, so the Brewers 3rd round pick could be the 99th overall selection when the dust settles.

EDIT: After looking at last year's picks, Cole Gillespie was the 92nd overall pick, so the added comp picks seems to have added approximately a half of a round to the draft. The Brewers scouting department did an excellent job without a 2nd rounder in 2005, one of the Brewers better overall drafts (and just think how much better that year would look had they signed Jemile Weeks, or even Jake Arrieta).

EDIT: Jim Callis has noted in his AskBA column dated 2/9/07 that sandwich pick compensation will be awarded to teams that lost Type A free agents first, then to those that lost Type B FAs. The updated changes to the draft order are below.

First-Round Picks

1. Devil Rays

2. Royals

3. Cubs

4. Pirates

5. Orioles

6. Nationals

7. Brewers

8. Rockies

9. Diamondbacks

10. Giants

11. Mariners

12. Marlins

13. Indians

14. Braves

15. Reds

16. Blue Jays (Frank Catalanotto, A, to Tex)

17. Rangers (Carlos Lee, A, to Hou)

18. Cardinals

19. Phillies

20. Dodgers (Julio Lugo, A, to Bos)

21. Blue Jays

22. Giants (Jason Schmidt, A, to LAD)

23. Padres

24. Rangers (Gary Matthews Jr., A, to LAA)

25. White Sox

26. Athletics

27. Tigers

28. Twins

29. Giants (Moises Alou, A, to NYM)

30. Yankees

Supplemental First-Round Picks

31. Nationals (Alfonso Soriano, A, to ChC)

32. Giants (Alou)

33. Braves (Danys Baez, A, to Bal)

34. Reds (Rich Aurilia, A, to SF)

35. Rangers (Lee)

36. Cardinals (Jeff Suppan, A, to Mil)

37. Phillies (David Dellucci, A, to Cle)

38. Blue Jays (Justin Speier, A, to LAA)

39. Dodgers (Lugo)

40. Padres (Woody Williams, A, to Hou)

41. Athletics (Barry Zito, A, to SF)

42. Mets (Roberto Hernandez, A, to Cle)

43. Giants (Schmidt)

44. Rangers (Matthews)

45. Blue Jays (Catalanotto)

46. Padres (Dave Roberts, A, to SF)

47. Mets (Chad Bradford, A, to Bal)

48. Cubs (Juan Pierre, B, to LAD)

49. Nationals (Jose Guillen, B, to Sea)

50. Diamondbacks (Craig Counsell, B, to Mil)

51. Giants (Mike Stanton, B, to Cin)

52. Mariners (Gil Meche, B, to KC)

53. Reds (Scott Schoeneweis, B, to NYM)

54. Rangers (Mark DeRosa, B, to ChC)

55. Red Sox (Alex Gonzalez, B, to Cin)

56. Blue Jays (Ted Lilly, B, to ChC)

57. Padres (Alan Embree, B, to Oak)

58. Angels (Adam Kennedy, B, to StL)

59. Athletics (Frank Thomas, B, to Tor)

60. Tigers (Jamie Walker, B, to Bal)

61. Diamondbacks (Miguel Batista, B, to Sea)

62. Red Sox (Keith Foulke, B, to Cle)

63. Padres (Ryan Klesko, B, to SF)

64. Diamondbacks (have yet to sign 2006 first-rounder Max Scherzer)

Second-Round Changes

67. Nationals (Soriano to ChC)

69. Braves (Baez to Bal)

71. Cardinals (Suppan to Mil)

74. Athletics (Zito to SF)

77. Mets (Hernandez to Cle)

81. Padres (Williams to Hou)

88. Blue Jays (Speier to LAA)

Third-Round Changes

99. Mets (Bradford to Bal)

104. Reds (Aurilia to SF)

107. Phillies (Dellucci to Cle)

Fourth-Round Changes

134. Padres (Roberts to SF)

Remaining Compensation Free Agents

NYY: Ron Villone (B).

SD: Chan Ho Park (B).

Despite signing their usual collection of AARP members and losing their 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks in the process, the Giants have picked up two additional first round picks and two sandwich picks.

The Padres have four sandwich picks, an additional 2nd rounder and an additional 4th rounder. Their draft could very well mimic the A's 2002 "Moneyball" draft.

Same goes for the Blue Jays, with an extra 1st and 2nd rounder and three sandwich picks.

The Rangers also have quite a few extra picks, with two additional 1st rounders and three sandwich picks.

The usual suspects in recent years receiving extra picks are the Braves, A's and Red Sox. The Braves have an extra sandwich pick and a 2nd rounder, the A's have two sandwich picks and an extra 2nd rounder, while the Red Sox have two sandwich picks. That seems relatively mild for all three teams.

I want to point out that I edited the DFE list from the first post in this thread, removing both Marc Lewis, a LHP from Creighton, and David Newmann, a LHP from Texas A&M, as neither is eligible for the DFE process. Both have had Tommy John surgery during their college careers, yet neither is a fifth-year senior. Newmann is a redshirt junior that is expected to have a big year for the Aggies, should he remain healthy, and Lewis is a true senior.

PG Crosschecker released their Junior College coverage yesterday, check the column on the right-hand side of their homepage:

www.pgcrosschecker.com/

Again, the items are subscriber based content, but if you love following prospects, a subscription to PGCC is a no-brainer. I'm very proud to be associated with them given the features they have been presenting, basically taking the amateur and draft coverage to a whole different level since their inception.

Anyway, a few Brewers DFEs landed on their top 200 JC prospect list. Chad Robinson and Lee Haydel are back-to-back at 28 and 29, Aaron Tullo checks in at #68 while Mehdi Djebbar squeaked in at #190.

Sorry, Gagne, I don't have anything to offer on those two DFEs.

Baseball America has updated their top 100 college and high school prospects as part of their early draft preview (the print issue should hit the stands at some point this week).

www.baseballamerica.com/t...63243.html

A nice picture of Michael Burgess wearing a Perfect Game jersey and helmet:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images/mburgess07428309rb.jpg

Baseball America has offered what they called their early draft preview projected first round. It is really their top 30 draft-eligible prospects, as they don't associate teams with the individual picks nor do they consider team's draft philosophies or signability issues.

Anyway, at #7 is Joe Savery, a LHP/1B from Rice. If Savery is healthy enough he certainly has the talent to justify that high pick, but he only started pitching about a month ago, so he has a lot to prove this spring on the mound. He's a pretty good hitter as well, but probably not good enough to warrant this high of a selection.

Michael Burgess, who we have talked about at great length before, checks in at #8. J.P. Arencibia is #16.

Aumont vs. McGeary are completely opposite pitchers. Aumont is all about size, stuff and potential while McGeary is all about location and polish.

And if you read my stuff enough you'll know that I take the polish over the potential any day of the week. McGeary is one of my favorite prospects for his ability to command the strike zone with three very good pitches (88-92 FB, curve, change). He is very athletic, repeats his delivery well, and there is just a lot less potential for flameout with him.

Aumont is the opposite. He's 6'7" or so with a FB as you mentioned that has topped out in the 96 range. Inconsistent breaking ball and a lot of body to control. He's a high risk, high reward prospect that Brewers fans are pretty gun shy about these days.

Nice to see you continue to read PGCrosschecker Gagne.

That report surprised me. I knew Morales was good, but that is an awfully high grade. He's a five-tool guy. Great build that has only started to touch his potential. Great speed, very good defense in CF, and a strong arm. There is power in his bat, but more so future power than present day stuff. He makes good contact and he's a real threat on the basepaths. With that kind of grade prepare yourself for some unfair comparisons to Carlos Beltran. He could be the best prospect Puerto Rico has produced in quite some time (possibly since Beltran).

If he were a left-handed hitter he would look even better in the eyes of the scouts (his handedness, if that's a word, doesn't effect his scouting bureau grade, but it definitely plays a part in the eyes and minds of the scouts).

I got my copy of the Brewers Top 10 Prospects today for 2007, but they had a list of the top 100 high school and college prospects (2 lists), as well as a projection of how they thought the first round would turn out.

I was a little disappointed to see my shortstop Justin Jackson as falling all the way to the bottom of the first round and said that he could rise, if his offense improved.

Yup, I read Shep's post, and Turner isn't quite the unknown that he was when Shep initially posted that (word spreads quickly in the scouting community).

He's a good five-tool prospect, highlighted by his speed. He's a little on the smaller side, checking in around 5'11" and 180 pounds, and I'm not so sure about his overall power potential (Shep tossed out a comparison to Manny Ramirez, which of course is never fair). He's a good CF, has very good instincts for the game, knows how to go the opposite way, and makes good contact. He also receives high marks for his character, which is always plus. I think Shep also noted that Turner elected not to participate at the East Coast Professional Showcase, and his lack of participation at any big showcase or tournament event has caused him to be somewhat of an unknown. But scouts are well aware of him.

In Jim Callis' most recent AskBA, he notes that compensation picks will be awarded to teams that lost Type A FAs first, then to those that lost Type B FAs, while also providing an updated draft order. I will make those same changes to the draft order as shown on an earlier page in this thread.

www.baseballamerica.com/t...63316.html

EDIT: The Brewers 3rd-round pick, their second selection in the draft, stands as the 101st overall selection right now. That is an 18 pick difference from their 3rd round a year ago (Cole Gillespie, 92nd overall) when you factor in the fact that the Brewers slot this year is nine places higher than their 16th slot a year ago.

That third round pick can be no worse than the 103rd overall selection based on the two remaining Type B free agents that have not signed. The pick could be as high as the 100th selection overall should those two free agents not end up signing with other ballclubs and if Max Scherzer signs with the D-Backs before draft day.

GagneCY03,

I left you a PM. Good to see you out and about. Miss the prospect discussion on the other board. I see Washie has come and visited as well.

CJ,

Is there a thread anywhere about how to load a picture?

DAS1410

Archived