Brewer Fanatic

How to Make Miller Park even better

rickh150

I agree with Brian Anderson. He said that Miller Park is the most comfortable ballpark in the majors. It has the roof, a large parking lot, easy access off 94, safety (in general), wide concourses, good views, etc. Yet it doesn't have the wow factor, history, or rave reviews that many others typically get.

Here are a few ideas that I have had over the years on how to make it better.

1. I'd like to see a Green Bay like atrium/ St. Louis like ballpark village built beyond the glass walls in right center. There really is no use of this space right now. The area would still be very close to the field of play. It could be an area for major events/meetings/Super Bowl parties. Extensive kid's games, a better eating area for current Miller Park restaurants ( the donut place and BBQ place- can't think of the names off hand- they are hidden on the first base side field level now).

2. I don't like how the bleacher seats are set up. The bullpens use up prime seating locations, right now. The field level seats are under the loge, and except for the first few rows the views are pretty terrible. The Loge is alright, but it does overhang Friday's, hurting the views in left field. Couldn't they build walkways/seating areas above the Brewers bullpen? Even if it's for Friday's seating, the area now is being waisted. Better yet, a Wrigley Field like bleacher area, with 1st row seats directly by the top of the wall ( not 20 feet up like in the Loge Bleachers) would get my vote.

3. More general areas/standing room only areas to watch the games- I'd like to watch a couple innings in different areas. Now, I still could, but I'd have to watch from the concourse or sit in a seat that wasn't mine. I'd like to see more standing room only areas by the foul poles where attendance usually wanes anyways. More value for the fan, right?

4. I don't like the Uecker/Yount signs in the parking lots.... Could they make it any more difficult to find your car? Why did they take down all the numbers from the parking lot lights a few years ago? It was so easy then. Where am I parked? Yount 5. Now there are only a few numbers up... most have been taken down for some reason. It's a small pitiful change, but an easy one to make something better.

5. Roof tours... I've been hearing this one for a while. I'm sure it has to do with safety and liability issues. Yet, how cool would a tour of Miller Park's roof be? Wouldn't it automatically become the best tour in town?

6. In between inning games are better at the minor leagues. This should never be. I like the big screen and all, and it is a thrill to get on from time to time. And the sausage race/7th inning stretch is good. Yet, let's get some different games in. I have noticed a few new ones this year, but the creativity of new things each game (not just each season) is lacking. I really don't want to watch another guy climb that Mt. Dew wall.

What say you???

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No real way to fix the bleachers. To make them at field level only you would have to put the bullpens underneath(ehh I don't like that idea), take out Fridays completely, take out ATI Club completely, and possibly lose some seats. Unfortunately when it comes to a roofed stadium things have to be stacked if you want them all. Sure you would get your prime seats on the wall, but at what cost? That would be an incredible expense with no real gain.

For the record I think 2nd deck outfield seats are a trillion times better. So much easier to watch the game from above way out there. Field level just makes it nearly impossible to follow the game.

It would be cool to have something in that RF area since it is a gigantic area mostly unwalked, but that would mess with Miller Parks shape. I find it unlikely they would even flirt with messing with the fan shape and have something out from under the retractable roof.

1. Put a winning team on the field.

2. Get rid of whatever is in the walkway in RCF. I remember when Miller Park first opened I went to a game with a friend and we had nose bleed seats. We hated them so we went and stood and watched the game in RCF. It was great. Now it's gated and you can't watch there.

3. Yes, to more standing room areas. There are only a few left and they are packed the whole game.

4. There is no way to change this anymore but I always feel like I'm inside, whether the roof is closed or open. The sides of the stadium are so high that you can never get the feel of actually being outside.

Put a pool in the bleacher seats

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I tell you what, I was at the very first game at Miller Park (not opening day, but the first exhibition game against the White Sox). I was absolutely WOWED when I walked in. I've been to a number of parks; not a ton, but about a dozen or so. None of them were better than Miller Park. I've been to Fenway and Wrigley, and while ivy and tall green walls are pretty they are not good places to watch a game. As far as newer stadiums, I've been to Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, Citizens Bank Ballpark, Bank One Ballpark, Petco, and AT&T Stadium. AT&T has the bay, and Petco has an AWESOME neighborhood around the stadium, but as far as within the stadium I wouldn't put any of them ahead of Miller Park. Bank One is similar to Miller Park, but MP is far superior - you are far away from the field in the upper deck at Bank One as they only have two levels.

I think a lot of those ratings have to do with tradition (Fenway/Wrigley) or the area around the ballpark. But most if not all of those stadiums don't allow tailgating in the parking lot, which makes for a much better experience with the exception of San Diego. The Gaslamp district is a fun, fun place to hang out before and after the game. I highly recommend spending a weekend in San Diego in the Gaslamp district and catching a couple of Brewers/Padres games.

I think a lot of those ratings have to do with tradition (Fenway/Wrigley) or the area around the ballpark. But most if not all of those stadiums don't allow tailgating in the parking lot, which makes for a much better experience with the exception of San Diego. The Gaslamp district is a fun, fun place to hang out before and after the game. I highly recommend spending a weekend in San Diego in the Gaslamp district and catching a couple of Brewers/Padres games.

I would put PETCO ahead of Miller Park because of where it is situated. It's a fantastic downtown. If Miller Park could somehow create a Park at the Park that would be awesome.

I am fine with not having a wow factor though. Miller Park is geared around the experience of watching the game and having unique little pieces about it. We have a giant scoreboard only rivaled by few and unlike many others it sits right outside the outfield wall to make it seem even bigger. Add that the the roof, bernies slide, our sea of tailgating, and Fridays front row I think we have many things to make us our own.

Miller Park will always be #1 for one reason...that roof. I always get a mini heart attack when I buy tickets to Wrigley etc. and a chance of rain is in the forecast. Nothing worse than wondering if your $250 tickets will be all for nothing. I don't go to sit gaze at the bridges outside the stadium and I don't go to experience stuff outside the stadium. I go to experience the game and Miller Park does a pretty fine job.

Does anyone have a wow factor idea? I feel like most of those are either scenery, history of ballpark, or community around it. With all due respect to Milwaukee it doesn't possess any of that.

4. There is no way to change this anymore but I always feel like I'm inside, whether the roof is closed or open. The sides of the stadium are so high that you can never get the feel of actually being outside.

I agree somewhat. During day games i went a few times with groups where tickets were bought ahead of time and i absolutely hate being stuck in a seat where the roof is blocking the sun. I love warm weather and especially the sun on me. Not that i want County Stadium back, but i loved in my younger days sitting in those bleachers on a hot and sunny summer day.

Gotta have a roof though in this climate and no park with a roof will feel the same as an open air stadium, even with the roof open. Plus, as much as i love the sun, many others don't and they can buy seats which keep them in the shade most or all through a day game when it's hot.

Does anyone have a wow factor idea? I feel like most of those are either scenery, history of ballpark, or community around it. With all due respect to Milwaukee it doesn't possess any of that.

The location pretty much eliminated any wow factor potential being located in a big parking lot. Which for the Brewers is fine because tailgating in a ways is the big thing fans do experience. The Bucks are looking at the wow factor.

I'm a Brewer through and through, but i'm sorry...Target Field is 5 times the stadium Miller Park will ever be (and any other building aside from Yankee Stadium).

The only thing better about Target Field is the view of Minneapolis and as others have said I will take the tailgate experience. San Francisco and Pittsburgh both have better views if you are into that kind of thing. I have been to 26 stadiums and I rate Pittsburgh as my favorite but Milwaukee ranks very high because of the tailgating scene and the certainty of there actually being a ballgame.

Gotta have a roof though in this climate and no park with a roof will feel the same as an open air stadium, even with the roof open. Plus, as much as i love the sun, many others don't and they can buy seats which keep them in the shade most or all through a day game when it's hot.

My solution to making the stadium feel more "open" would be to de-clutter the outfield area. There are so many advertising signs, etc. out there now that they may as well have built an entire complete seating area out there with another LED ribbon board. I know they can't really do this because they need the advertising revenue, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I have been to about half the ball parks. Here are a few things I liked

AT&T - the Brewers need some exclusive behind home / special seats. At AT&T these seats were actually dug into the ground. It was an awesome atmosphere. Many other ball parks have these special seats behind home but MP doesn't.

Comerica - A few things come to mind at this awesome park. Their Pepsi porch has fire bars, outside patio seating type furniture, ample space. Just a cool spot. They also have these wood type Adirondack chairs around the top rows of the first level. In addition they give access to a special club for anyone sitting in like the first 15 rows on lower level. This club had some of the cleanest bathrooms I have seen at a ballgame.

I'm a Brewer through and through, but i'm sorry...Target Field is 5 times the stadium Miller Park will ever be (and any other building aside from Yankee Stadium).

I actually like being able to afford decent seats...sooooooo Miller Park > Target Field. Miller Park is one of the most affordable places to go. The fact they decided against an exclusive padded seat area behind home plate was secretly brilliant. Hard to like a stadium when it swallows your wallet whole.

The location pretty much eliminated any wow factor potential being located in a big parking lot. Which for the Brewers is fine because tailgating in a ways is the big thing fans do experience. The Bucks are looking at the wow factor.

Well I was speaking if we could redo this thing since realistically you can't change Miller Park very much. Milwaukee downtown is garbage compared to other cities that really have that wow factor. Even doing what the Bucks are doing is quite a reach. I guess the only way you could have gotten a wow factor in Milwaukee would have been to make it an outdoor stadium and literally put it right next to the lake. Milwaukee just isn't a wow factor kind of city so they wisely just put a roof on it and gave it a sea of parking lots.

I like the idea of an atrium being built. Not sure if it could even be possible but the stadium would look just that much better.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Numbers to subdivide the parking lots would certainly be a big help. It makes no sense that those disappeared.

This has nothing to do with a quality experience, but I wonder why the Brewers, Braves, and Miller lot names were retained when the rest of the lots were renamed. Did they run out of "people" names? Also, I think the Brewers missed the boat when they put Bob Uecker's name on a prominent lot. Keeping with the Uecker seat tradition, Bob's name should have gone on the lot out by Piggsville. :) I believe that's the Spahn lot.

Back to quality, I'd love to see more information provided on the scoreboards, especially in regard to pitchers. the main scoreboard gives us the current pitcher's W-L record, ERA, and WHIP. ERA and WHIP change during the game, but W-L never changes until the last out. I'd love to be able to see in-game walks and strikeouts given up, along with hits and possibly innings pitched. Relievers are really shortchanged. When they come in, they need to be given a splash in the center of the screen with a picture and some stats like hitters are given.

I also think a better job can be done with out of town scores. The only time to catch them right now is when there's game action. They disappear between innings, during pitching changes, and even between pitches. A couple of times per game, County Stadium used to put all of the scores on the main scoreboard between innings.

I think the elevated bullpens are kind of cool. If I remember correctly, the idea was borrowed from another park, possibly Anaheim. It's pretty easy to see what's going on out there, which is great for both fans and managers. Can fans still walk up close to the bullpens?

The only major issue I have with between innings stuff it that it can sometimes supplant things that might actually be relevant to the game. Otherwise, it's generally not distracting, and some of it is entertaining. I'm a little annoyed that actual trivia has been replaced by guessing games. It doesn't hurt to actually learn something, and wrong answers can be hilarious… like when a fan decided that Jim Edmunds' middle name was Diego. But the between innings stuff is easy to shake up: try new things, drop what doesn't work, and bring back what people miss.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm wondering if it is possible to make the OF panels glass/safety glass/plexiglass. That way when the panels are closed, it still feels more open-air.

Tailgating is kind of a Catch-22. It is a huge draw and fairly unique experience, but it cuts down on concession sales (and can be a source of alcohol-related incidents). How much do you promote something like that?

I'm wondering if it is possible to make the OF panels glass/safety glass/plexiglass. That way when the panels are closed, it still feels more open-air.

I think it'd be great if the outfield panels were transparent. But it's probably not technologically feasible to have transparent panels that don't cause glare or add to the already odd shadows.

I think it'd be great if the outfield panels were transparent. But it's probably not technologically feasible to have transparent panels that don't cause glare or add to the already odd shadows.

Transparent, solar panels would be awesome. Can see through them and they create energy!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If I could change one thing I'd fix the outfield seats though. In RF I'd extend it all the way to the scoreboard smashing the Toyota Territory along the way. I'd also find a way to atleast partially connect it to the loge level in foul territory. In LF I would extend the smaller type section all the way to the scoreboard smashing the check deck away. I feel that would look much better as those exclusive areas don't look so great to the eye.

And #2 Firework Fridays...cause you know...why not?

The exclusive areas are money makers, though, and that's a good thing.

I don't think a "clean" look is necessary or even desirable. It's the quirks that make a ballpark unique. Also, these areas would be fairly inexpensive to change out when the desire for something new arises.

Archived