Brewer Fanatic

hector gomez outrighted, declares free agency; jason rogers recalled

djoctagone

little used hector gomez has been outrighted to colorado springs. jason rogers recalled. this marks the second time that the brewers have outrighted gomez, so he should be able to refuse the minor league assignment and declare free agency if he do desires.

this move also opens up a spot on the 40-man roster.

It's a minor point because of how little he was used, but I'm sincerely surprised Hector Gomez lasted this long on the active roster. He was playing with even lesser frequency than Enrique Cruz and the initial "hide him at the back of the bullpen" stage of Valerio de los Santos' career.

One would think that in the NL and a pitcher heavy roster that getting ABs for bench guys wouldn't be a problem. Hopefully they can work Jason in a little more regularly and get an idea of what he can really produce.

For as high as it seemed they were on Gomez before the season he was hardly ever used.

There were still using him against lefties at 2B but there haven't been many of those. Hector was 0 for July and August.

Wonder if Gennett will get some starts vs LHP or if they'll play Perez at 2B and Rogers at 3B? What happened to the plan to let Scooter play vs. both? He's made two starts vs. LHP, both when he was in his early season funk. Bench is better with Rogers.

Jason Rogers has been a stud in our system and I really hope he gets a chance for some ABs

I agree. But Where? He cant hack it at 3b.

Pull Lind and play him at 1b?

Pull Khris Davis and put him in LF?

Put Davis in center and take time away from Peterson?

Too bad they didn't DFA Gomez a week ago and claim Danny Valencia.

Jason Rogers is not awful but it is also clear that he is not part of the plans for the future.

They might have tried to claim him.

Didn't the A's claim him meaning Milwaukee never even had a chance to claim him?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Too bad they didn't DFA Gomez a week ago and claim Danny Valencia.

Jason Rogers is not awful but it is also clear that he is not part of the plans for the future.

They might have tried to claim him.

I think waivers goes by league - so Valencia gets offered to AL teams first (since he was on an AL team), and then the NL clubs. All in reverse order of record. I think Oakland had the worst record in the AL at the time, thus got first crack at him.

Maybe I'm wrong about the waiver wire process - but I don't think we had a chance at him.

Waivers goes by league first, and the A's snapped him up right away. Never had a chance at him.

But I agree with the principle. The next step is to start to purge the guys that have no plate discipline while they are young and still have some value, and that starts with Segura and Gennett. I'm torn on Gennett; I want to believe because he provides some LH balance, but he's never had plate discipline and I griped about that when he was in the minors.

I'll take Peterson and his .370 OBP at just about any position.

Waivers goes by league first, and the A's snapped him up right away. Never had a chance at him.

But I agree with the principle. The next step is to start to purge the guys that have no plate discipline while they are young and still have some value, and that starts with Segura and Gennett. I'm torn on Gennett; I want to believe because he provides some LH balance, but he's never had plate discipline and I griped about that when he was in the minors.

I'll take Peterson and his .370 OBP at just about any position.

I get wanting to have as many high OBP guys as possible, but that still is only one aspect of a players skillset, albeit an important one. All players need to be evaluated on every aspect they bring to the table on offense and defense, when compared to the majority at their position.

FWIW, i don't say that specifically in defense of either or both of Segura/Scooter. I think it's only a matter of when not if Segura is traded given Arcia is clearly the shortstop of the future, be it some point next season or the year after. Scooter is only a decent spare part type given he's below average defensively, so batting average dependent, and can't hit lefties. He is a good hitter vs righthanders though and cheap, so if he is playing a lot next year, i won't fret over that much. Hopefully by the time the Brewers are ready to compete again, the team will have found a more well rounded guy to play second.

I get wanting to have as many high OBP guys as possible, but that still is only one aspect of a players skillset, albeit an important one. All players need to be evaluated on every aspect they bring to the table on offense and defense, when compared to the majority at their position.

Agreed. I would add that it is also nice to have some amount of balance. Ideally we would like to have all our players be at least average at every aspect of their job but in reality every player has warts. That gets exacerbated if most of them have the same warts.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'd love to have more guys that are high avg, high OBP guys to have prolonged rallies. In the 90s we had decent offenses where Loretta, Vina, and Cirillo played crucial roles, even though they often provided less power at their positions.

And Wildcat, I'd find AB's for Rogers wherever. Give him a 2nd start at 3b. In one game he's not likely to kill us...doesn't mean he should play 150 in a season. Give him starts at 1b as Lind has the chronic back issues. and yes, give him starts in LF with Davis on the bench as Davis has not been cutting it. Not giving up on Davis, but instead saying he hasn't shown he deserves to play 100% of the time.

Someone will give him a job that has less comjestion in the middle IF.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived