Brewer Fanatic

Who should the Brewers take in the 1st Round

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aumont is the next Rogers/Jones. If they take him, especially since they only have one of the top 101 picks, Jackie boy really is a moron. As for Moustakas, he wouldnt be as bad of a pick, but I would still take Wieters over him (if both available) in a second. If they take Aumont over Smoker, just mark your calenders today then and measure how long it takes for Aumont's first season ending injury vs. Smokers arrival in the Major Leagues.

Chicago Tribune says the Cubs like Moustakas and will take him 3rd. Thats good news to me if true. Then 4 or 5 can take Vitters and that leaves Wieters (or Smoker) for the Brewers.

They also have a mock draft and have the Brewers picking Beau Mills, another Antone Williamson type player. Please Lord no!!

Smoker or Wieters........

Both mlb.com and BA's final mock have us taking the HS catcher from Pennsylvania. How has this guy shot up the charts this fast???

Between all of the talk of this C and Aumont, I don't foresee us being very happy with the #7 pick.

Colby - any insight on this HS catcher?

It's hard to get a good read on this draft. I was reading the Baltimore Sun and they wrote how the Orioles are going to probably choose between Wieters, Aumont and Detwiler. And an Oriole official expected the Nationals to take Wieters if he is still available. However, the Washington Post is predicting that the Nationals will take Mike Moustakas.

So, it's just hard to guess who is going to be around when the Brewers pick

My choose, for whatever little it is worth, would be Mike Moustakas, however with Devin Mesoraco name popping up at the last minute, I'll predict that is who the Brewers take.

Of course, it'll probably end up being a high school pitcher.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Pioneers3 has this question (moved from another thread):

Question for you Colby-The last Mock Draft I saw had us taking a HS catcher with Heyward still on the Board, if Heyward is there at 7 will the crew take him? I believe he has more raw power than Prince and he has more tools, speed, arm strength, I really think if he is there, he's the pick!

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Man if they take Mesoraco I'll be pretty disappointed. When did this guy become a top ten pick?

I'm guessing Wieters goes to the Nationals, but are people REALLY expecting the Brewers to take him if he's there? Moustakas is one thing, but I just don't believe they'd pay over twice the slot value for Wieters.

Does anyone know what these national writers mean when they say something like "the commissioner will come down on them hard for exceeding the slot recommendations." I understand the mechanics of the draft and how each pick is slotted a certain amount of money, how Boras clients fit in as well, so my real question is, "what is MLB really going to do?" What happens to the GM who takes Wieters at 14 and pays him $10 mil? A stern talking to? No Christmas card from Bud? If there isn't a hard pick cap, who cares what MLB thinks? I can see why teams don't like the precedent (and I think MLB needs to fix the baseball draft to where signability isn't a variable) but as far as I am aware there is no real penalty for exceeding the slot value. Is this correct?

Sorry, I've had a busy morning at work.

Mesoraco has been soaring up draft boards all spring. In the last week it was reported he was a possibility for the PIrates at #4. His profile can be found on the default draft page. He's a super-athletic guy in the mold of Craig Biggio with an arm tailor-made for catcher. His bat has really come around this spring, and the only reason he wasn't a bigger name entering the spring is because he DH'd his junior year since he had TJ surgery the fall before (August of '05 I believe).

Here's a link to his Brewerfan.net profile:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewAma...;draftId=5

As much as I like Heyward, I have not heard his name in conjunction with the Brewers.

As for the commissioner's office coming down hard on teams, I may have phrased that a little strongly. The commissioner's office doesn't really fine teams for exceeding slot value, but they do make it more difficult for them. Any monetary amount that exceeds the pre-determined slot values need to be approved by the commissioner's office, and they get ownership involved while stressing that they really, really don't want to see teams exceed these values.

They make recommendations through the fifth round, and after the fifth round any bonus given out that is more than the last pick in the fifth round also comes under scrutiny.

So, to avoid political headaches, and to adhere to MLB's wishes, more and more teams are adhering to these values.

Archived