Brewer Fanatic

Who should the Brewers take in the 1st Round

I for one will be bitterly disappointed if the pick turns out be Aumont. If we have to pick a pitcher I would definitely prefer Parker and it would be a huge mistake to pass on a kid like Heyward for Aumont. This system desperately needs some power bats in the system. Also I have read that Attanasio is willing to spend so it will be really disappointing if they pick Aumont because he is signable. I also really hope that they arent picking the kid because he is Canadian. Also regarding Aumont I believe I read some less than flattering critiques from scouts on baseball america regarding the last time he pitched. It said he had a lot of trouble with mechanics and had trouble finding the plate. I truly truly hope that they dont go in this direction.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brewers never take the guys I hope they will. I am really really hoping it is Aumont.

(Maybe that'll work.)

(It should be noted that the Brewers know a lot more about this than I do, and they're better off not having me in charge. Still.)

The Brewers never take the guys I hope they will. I am really really hoping it is Aumont.

(Maybe that'll work.)

You're powers of jinxing a pick are primitive compared to Patrick's. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif Don't forget HS RHP are to Jack Z what Katie Holmes is to Geno so I should have plenty of material for the Draft chat room.

Community Moderator

Come on, Patrick only sobs into his custom-ordered Kotchman Brewers jersey wondering what could have been just once a year at this point. He's making great progress.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Hey come on now, I changed my tune dramatically with Fielder after I saw him club home runs off of the Miller Park scoreboard as part of the pre-draft in '02 http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

Kotchman though, yes. His career has started a little slower than people thought it would, but he's having a nice year this year, and despite getting Fielder the next year, it's hard to argue with how much I campaigned for Kotchman given the way Mike Jones career has gone (although my desire for Kotchman was never anything against Jones).

I always prefer pitchers that show they can pitch over those that just show they can throw hard. I do like Aumont for how much his pitches move and for the simple fact that the two teams drafting just ahead of the Brewers, the Orioles and Nationals, have also been linked to Aumont, so despite the likely talk that the Brewers went "cheap" again, if they do take Aumont, it's not like the kid isn't worthy of the 7th overall pick (meaning, they wouldn't be the first team that would consider taking such a pitcher, as they were with Rogers in 2004).

Entering the spring I never thought the Brewers would take a prep pitcher two years in a row, and who knows, maybe they won't. If Moustakas is gone, I don't expect the team to take Wieters should he be there, and the talent at seven definitely favors the prep arms. I'm a big fan of Heyward, but otherwise there isn't that one guy out there that I feel particularly strongly about (other than Moustakas and Wieters) to get too upset should Aumont be the pick.

EDIT: It should also be noted that my predictions in the past have typically been based on who I want to see the team take (yes, I preferred Moore over Fielder). I changed that this year, relying on sources that have a pretty good sense of the players the Brewers have zeroed in on and also who the teams ahead of the Brewers have been closing in on. I have not expressed who I would take even if Moustakas and Wieters were off the board and money wasn't an issue, knowing Katuluu and xisxisxis would be all over me if I did.

Last year I do believe I accurately mentioned that if Jeffress were available, despite noting that I didn't think he would be, that the Brewers would likely pounce on him.

In 2005 I didn't care who the team would take, because I liked all of the players that were linked to the team (Braun, Maybin, Tulowitzki, Bruce and Romero).

The more I think about this, I think that the Brewers would be extremely foolish if they did not take Wieters if available. With the new rules put in place, the team is at a great advantage to take who they want and pay what they want. Right now, Wieters is at a spot where, if not signed he cant go back to school and play baseball if he chooses, and he would have to spend a year in independent ball, taking chance of injury or diminished skills, or even diminished heart. So I say the Brewers take Wieters, if available, compromise on his $10mm asking price, and offer him a $7mm Major League contract, and tell him to take it or leave it. They dont have to worry about all of the slot nonsense since they would be giving the major league contract, and they can throw in a bonus, if he makes it to the majors within 3 years.

Or......they can take a high risk high school pitcher who will get injured in A ball.

If the Royals do pass on Porcello, and end up taking Vitters, there could be a chance Moustakas falls in the Brewers lap (the Nats could take Porcello). Although since he's being talked about as a possible 2nd overall pick, his price tag is already higher than I thought it would be, even with the Boras connection.

Devin Mesoraco and Julio Borbon are definitely two players I have not seen or heard the Brewers associated with. I'm not sure if Goldstein is taking a wild stab at those two or not.

Money is definitely going to be huge in this year's draft. Just keep that in mind if certain players fall past the Brewers pick, because now everyone is expecting quite a few players to fall, as MLB is going to come down hard on teams if they don't adhere to the recommended slot values.

Quote:
For what it's worth:

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...index.html

I would think most of y'all would be pretty excited about this.

I just refuse to believe that Porcello will fall this fair. Again not just any prospects. This kid is off the charts.

I mean for the draftniks out there, am I misreading the comments about him.

Isn't he considered a rare talent. I mena the Dodger, Cardinals are frightened off a talent like this picking where they are?

I would be surprised to see Porcello far that far as well, but I can see the top seven shaking out the way he has it. I hope my rekindled hope for Moustakas is not totally unfounded. I think he might fall to seven.

Since this thread has seemed to have turned into the pre-draft discussion thread, I thought I would add David Rawnsley's (PG Crosschecker) mock draft:

www.pgcrosschecker.com/dr..._6607.aspx

He has the Brewers taking Parker, with Moustakas going to the Nats and Aumont going to the Rockies.

If Porcello is being considered somewhat unsignable by the Royals at the 2nd overall slot, how much money is he looking to get? I'm not sure if he's on the same level as Josh Beckett, one of the best prep righties to ever come along, but even if he were the money usually associated with the 2nd overall pick is usually enough to get anyone signed.

So, if Porcello falls past the 2nd spot, there's not telling how far he'll fall. As Jonathan Mayo put it earlier today, he could fall all the way to North Carolina, his college commitment.

Going back to Rawnsley's mock draft, I really like his comment about how well Jarrod Parker has handled the attention this spring. If he's there for the Brewers pick, and its down to him and Aumont, I really, really hope it is Parker.

Jim Callis, who has done a pretty good job predicting the early picks in recent years, is expected to have a mock draft up at some point this evening. By the time he gets it up the draft could be over, but keep an eye on BA's homepage for that if you plan on staying up late (or at least later than me) this evening.

Going back to Rawnsley's mock draft, I really like his comment about how well Jarrod Parker has handled the attention this spring. If he's there for the Brewers pick, and its down to him and Aumont, I really, really hope it is Parker.

I agree completely with this. Getting Parker, despite being a HS pitcher, would be pretty exciting. He doesn't just remind me of Roy Oswalt as a pitcher, but also as a person. Very down to earth and focused.

I would take Parker over Porcello. Porcello may be a slightly better prospect (maybe), but his pricetag is not in line with the difference, and we'd have to deal with Boras his whole time here. If they turn out like projected, we'd eventually buy out Parkers arby years, and with it a year or 2 of FA, that just doesn't happen with Boras clients.

All that said, I still want Moustakas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote:

Ditto.

Quote:
I would take Parker over Porcello. Porcello may be a slightly better prospect (maybe), but his pricetag is not in line with the difference, and we'd have to deal with Boras his whole time here. If they turn out like projected, we'd eventually buy out Parkers arby years, and with it a year or 2 of FA, that just doesn't happen with Boras clients.

I really like Portcello, but it isn't all my money (just a small percentage).

Quote:
All that said, I still want Moustakas.

Ditto, and I think despite all the chatter I think Moustakas will be sitting there for the Brewers. However I have zero confidence that he will be a catcher. Corner OF or 3B, yes but not a catcher.

Aren't the tools of ignorance a product of breeding and geneshttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Callis' mock draft is up.

He has us taking Mesoraco, with Moustakas going to the Nats, Parker to the Cubs, and Porcello falling all the way to the Rangers at 24.

His comments mention that not many teams think the Brewers will go against slot recommendations. Other possibilities that he suggests are: Aumont, Parker, and Borbon.

So, is Borbon the new "Brewers go cheap" fall-back pick to the national press? Wouldn't he be about a five to fifteen pick reach at 7? Jack Z/Attanasio have a pretty solid record of staying at slot (not going "cheap), so that's a bit irksome.

Thanks in advance for all the hard work today, colby, Mass, TC, And That, Brian, and whomever else makes this the best day of the season. Until October, that it.

C'mon Moustakas!

BAs mock draft is weaker than usual. It didn't seem like they had much inside info at all. Also, what is meant by "MLB will come down hard on teams that go over slot." I've seen that several places, but what can MLB really do?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Verified Member
Colby, what if anything have you heard about possibility of Moustakas as a catcher - in terms of ability and/or his interest/willingness? If Brewers draft him, do you think they'd have plans to try that route?
Formerly JohnStumpyPepys

Colby, what if anything have you heard about possibility of Moustakas as a catcher - in terms of ability and/or his interest/willingness? If Brewers draft him, do you think they'd have plans to try that route?

If so, sign me up for sure. I'd be fine with Parker or Porcello though. Aumont...maybe.

Archived