Brewer Fanatic

Who should the Brewers take in the 1st Round

Colby:

I'm interested in hearing your take on Heyward. I'll admit, the man intrigues me, especially since Max signed with the D-Backs and everyone links Moustakas to the Nats.

Is he the corner OF we have been looking for, or would you prefer an Aumont or Detweiler at this spot?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Admittedly, I haven't been following the Draft nearly as much this year as I have in previous seasons. That being said....since when have I ever let that stop me from being opinionated?

My default strategy (top college pitcher available, preferrably lefty) seems to fit the talent rankings fairly well. Either Detwiler (who probably won't be there) or Moskos would make me happy.

...and, admittedly, I'd have a hard time finding fault in a power hitting corner OF like Heyward. (I like Gillespie and Katin in the Farm System....but neither is a sure thing....and certainly shouldn't prevent the Brewers from going after another young talent.)

...that being said, I've all but resigned myself to the Brewers taking the HS RHP from Canada (Aumont).

I know we all say that a team should never take its current players / needs into account, and should draft the best player available....who thinks they're going to take an infielder?

YostInfection, I'm a big fan of Heyward's, who seems to have a lot of fans around these parts. Maybe not Cameron Maybin type love, but it's close.

He's a big boy, hits and bats left handed, and despite his size he is a very good athlete, with above average speed, good lateral quickness, and a natural sense for the game. He'll swipe a bag or two on you, and his bat is made for contact. He has very good power potential, as his line drive approach will serve him well.

Fred McGriff is a popular comparison for him, I've compared him to a left-handed hitting version of Derek Lee, and I've even read one comparison (I believe by David Rawnsley) to Willie McCovey. There are a few scouts that haven't been impressed with his BP sessions this spring (since he hasn't gotten many pitches to hit during games), but I think that has changed over the last month or two.

I'm not sure if he's a top 10 guy, as he seems more like a lock to go in the 11-15 range, but I would be more than happy to see him picked by the Brewers, although I haven't heard their name associated with him (Phillippe Aumont, Madison Bumgarner, Jarrod Parker and Mike Moustakas are the names most frequently associated with the Crew).

Moustakas, Moustakas, Moustakas, how come I just don't believe that it's going to happen?

with the 7th pick in the 2007 MLB Draft, the Milwaukee Brewers select Phillipe Aumont

That has been playing so clearly in my head for the last few weeks that I have no doubt this is who the Brewers are going to to go with if he is still availible at 7, which he should be. You know what though, give it to me. I think out of Jones, Rogers, Jeffress, and Aumont, we should be able to get at least one all-star appearance. It might be as a closer as none of these guys seem to have great second tier stuff but that's fine with me.

I think I'm keeping my expectations low on these guys. I know if we got Moustaka or Heyward i would probably be happier at the time, but both those guys are far from sure bets as well. I'll take the pitching depth please.

On a side note, exactley how many selections can the Brewers make this year? How many selections do you think they will make?

with the 7th pick in the 2007 MLB Draft, the Milwaukee Brewers select Phillipe Aumont

Given the fact that the Brewers have shown the last few years with the selections of Inman and Jeffress that they have no problem with short righthanders, I think Jarrod Parker will be the choice, assuming Moustakas is gone. Parker is more consistent with his velocity, and his secondary stuff is a little ahead. Aumont also has some family issues.

I'm never excited about drafting HS pitchers (or used up college pitchers), but Parker has Roy Oswalt, Tim Lincecom type potential.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Keith Law on ESPN's Insider has Brewers taking Matt Dominguez. Bases that on Jack Z. frequenting Chatsworth games and his assumption they wouldn't match Moustakas' asking price. Has Moustakas going 9 to Ariz. Rest of top 10: 1. Price, 2. Detwiler, 3. Vitters, 4. Mills, 5. Aumont, 6. Porcello, 7. Dominguez, 8. Heyward, 9. Moustakas, 10. Parker.

Matt Dominguez is a nice player but if we take him with Moustakas and Heyward still on the board, I might loose my mind. I realize Moustakas has some financial concerns associated with him but I have also read various reports that he won't ask for that much. Plus with the effect of the new rules in place, I think we have a better chance at signing whoever we take.

Keith Law on ESPN's Insider has Brewers taking Matt Dominguez. Bases that on Jack Z. frequenting Chatsworth games and his assumption they wouldn't match Moustakas' asking price.

I think that's a pretty dumb assumption on Law's part...that Jack Z is really there to see Dominguez because they've ruled out Moustakas? I'm not saying there's no chance they take Dominguez, but this convoluted logic seems like a matter of trying too hard to be clever...particularly when other sources claim that the Brewers are hot on Moustakas.

Do you I have this right--if a team fails to sign a player, then next year they get that pick. So if fail at signing Moustakis (sic) then next year they get the 7th pick overall?

If this is true I wouldn't worry about a Boras client again, and go for Moustaksis(sic).

Yeah, I don't buy the Matt Dominguez connection just because Jack Z. is attending the games.

This weekend as I was jotting down my personal Power 50 for the staff compilation of the May list, I made a quick list of the best tools in the system just for kicks. I did this because a few years ago the system seemed painfully thin with outfielders, which is now an organizational strength. Most of these outfielders also fit the "athlete" need that the organization also was lacking in several years ago. From Gillespie to Cain to Ford to Brantley to even Haydel, the team has a little bit of everything.

However, for the top power prospects, after Braun, who obviously is in the big leagues now, apparently to stay, the system is very, very thin on power prospects. The system is also thin on left-handed hitters. Mat Gamel is one of the few impact left-handed bats, and is also one of the few legitimate power prospects (along with Errecart and Katin...Cain and Gillespie could develop power, but no one seems to think either is a guy that could regularly swat 30 dingers).

Which only emphasizes how big it could be to add a player like Mike Moustakas into the system. He would immediately give the organization an impact bat, which it desparately needs with Braun's promotion. It makes too much sense, and the only reason I don't have Moustakas going to the Brewers is because I don't think he falls that far. If he does, and the Brewers don't take him, I may suffer a pulled Kotchman.

Do you I have this right--if a team fails to sign a player, then next year they get that pick. So if fail at signing Moustakis (sic) then next year they get the 7th pick overall?

They'd get the pick after the 7th...so 7a

Myself and another Dodger fan ran the Dodgers' mock draft over at Minorleagueball.com. The results were mixed but shouldnt be expected to reflect the draft on Thursday. However, I think Parker could be a possibility for the Brewers at #7. Jack Z's affinity for smallish hard-throwing right-handers aside, there are a lot of people who think Parker is every bit as good as Rick Porcello, just 3 inches shorter. He, Moustakas and Jason Heyward would all provide good value.

As far as Scherzer goes, he has some effect on the first round, as he could have gone as high as #6 to the Nationals. However, I dont think he affects the Brewers pick at all, since Milwaukee will still have a shot at the guys mentioned above.

I've been hearing for about a month now that Scherzer would be wise to sign with the D-Backs, so as Gagne noted, I don't think him signing with the D-Backs affected the draft at the top too much.

However, there was a lot of talk that the Nationals may have taken Scherzer with the sixth pick, again as Gagne noted, which obviously has huge ramificantions to the Brewers pick since I think the Nats may take Moustakas.

Interesting latest Law tidbit on the Brewers pick

Quote:
? Right behind Washington, Milwaukee is strongly considering taking Georgia Tech catcher Matt Wieters, even though Wieters' agent, Scott Boras, is rumored to be looking for a deal around $10 million. Milwaukee wouldn't pay that, but they would make a solid offer knowing that they'll get a pick right after the seventh pick next year if Wieters doesn't accept their offer.

insider.espn.go.com/espn/...=law_keith

Wow, thats really intriguing Indiansfan, and welcome aboard.

Boras really thinks he can get $10 million for Wieters? Thats insane for a polished college player who still couldn't slug 600.At that price, I might prefer Parker at slot.

But then again, wasn't Hochevar price sky high at 1st too? He signed for $3.5 mill, that is closer to acceptable for Wieters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I was just about to add Law's comments up there indiansfan, but instead I'll just comment. Wieters would be a very good value pick for the crew if he falls to number 7 however he is gonna cost a boatload to sign. That, along with questions about his production, would make this a pretty scary pick for the crew. All that being said, I think the Brewers can't really go wrong by choosing Wieters. IMO, he would jump right ahead of Angel as far as our catchers go.

So heres a question:

Who would you rarther have right now, ignoring money, Matt Wieters or Angel Salome.

I vote Wieters.

I just can't see the Brewers selecting Wieters unless they are confident they can sign him. Getting a pick in next year's pick is a nice consolation prize, but losing the opportunity to select and sign a player from this year's draft, particularly when the team's second selection isn't until the 102nd overall pick or so, doesn't make sense, particularly given Jack Z's drafting history.

I could see the team taking Wieters and then going to Mark Attanasio as the signing deadline approaches to try and make the deal happen, especially if the team is supposedly prepared to spend more money this year. Then again, the DFE class has already cost the team roughly $2 million.

Archived