Brewer Fanatic

Who should the Brewers take in the 1st Round

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haydel could be a supplemental first rounder, which could mean upper six figures.

I'll happily admit I was wromg here, Haydel will cost very good money to sign. BA has him now ranked all the way up to 75.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Count me in the take Wieters and pay the man group. I love catchers that can hit, and I think he's going to be a good one.

If you like that, Id rather see them take a guy with more upside potential, like Lars Davis from Illinois, contact hitter with power, hits for average, and hes a lefty. Although not a first rounder by any means, I would have the crew take him over Weiters any day of the week.

Edit: To differentiate the quote from the post. -Toby

I'll happily admit I was wromg here, Haydel will cost very good money to sign. BA has him now ranked all the way up to 75.

Just curious, because BA has him ranked at 75 has caused you to change your mind? PGCC has had Haydel ranked in the top 100 for a couple of weeks now, with direct quotes that he could be a possible sandwich pick. I know BA has been around for a lot longer doing what they're doing, but it was Allan Simpson that started the publication and made the foundation and reputation for their annual draft coverage.

Just curious, because BA has him ranked at 75 has caused you to change your mind? PGCC has had Haydel ranked in the top 100 for a couple of weeks now, with direct quotes that he could be a possible sandwich pick.

BAs earlier article abour DFEs made it sound as though the DFE class was Waldon and Latos up top and then everyone else on a lower level, so I guess thats why I was leery. It wasn't a disrespect to PGCC, if it was BA putting Haydel at 88, and then PGCC at 75, it would have changed my mind just the same. Like I said, I was wrong, I guess I read between the lines something that wasn't there in that earlier BA article.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

mlb.com has an article about Aumont today.

I really hope this isnt the direction the Brewers go. After the issues with Mark Rogers I'm not completely sold on pitchers from the north who only have short season exposure.

Also I dont know if this is a coincidence or if he is posturing to be the 5th or 6th pick:

He cited the Orioles and Nationals as his favorite teams

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I really hope they don't go prep pitcher. My choice is Heyward.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Moustakas is represented by Boras, correct? Does that make people think the Brewers won't take him?

The rumor in an aerlier thread here was Milwaukke was trying to figure out exactly what his contract demands were. #7 slot money is great cash, but what does he think of it. I'm really holding out hope they decide in the end he's signable, as he's a terrific prospect.

Moustakas is my first choice as well for the players that are mostly to be avaialble at seven along with the players the Brewers are reportedly showing the most interest in. However, there have been some recent rumblings that the guy won't even be available when the Brewers pick, with the three teams ahead of the Brewers (Pirates, Orioles, Nationals) all having some mention of possibly being interested in the guy.

I really would be surprised if money were that big of an issue for Moustakas. I could see him signing for a little over slot money, similar to Homer Bailey as the 7th pick in '04, but nothing that would cause a team to break the bank (although even an extra $500k is a lot of cash).

Patrick, Moustakas has blown Vitters away statistically this year, do they play similar competition? Do they play each other? Some still consider Vitters the top HS hitter, why the huge difference in production?

And while were discussing Vitters, how would you compare him to the how you felt about the 2 SS's that played at his HS previous to him, his brother Christian, and your 2002 favorite, Scott Mooore?

They do play similar competition, as it may be the best high school baseball in the nation (especially this year), but I really hate using high school stats to compare two players, or to even try to evaluate how good one player is. High school stats are fun to look at, but that's about it.

I hate making excuses for players, but Vitters did have pneumonia earlier this year.

I think the gap between Vitters and Moustakas isn't that great right now. Vitters has done it time and time again against the best pitchers in the country while playing at the PG National, the Aflac game, the East Coast Pro, etc. Moustakas hasn't shown his wears nationally through the showcase and tournament circuit as much. For instance, scouts look at Vitters' hitting tools now and they can remember back to when he hit three doubles against three of the toughest pitches in the country at the Aflac game last August.

And because that gap between the two has closed, that along with some inside info, is why I believe Moustakas won't even be available for the Brewers pick.

You put me on the spot with the Moore comparison, but Cypress certainly has a knack for developing good infielders. Christian was a good hitter that followed in the footsteps of Moore, but he wasn't that can't miss, impact type of hitter, and everyone knew he was more of a college type, which is of course the avenue he pursued. Everyone knows how fond I was of Moore, although he wasn't that impressive at the Brewers pre-draft in 2002, as he failed to make consistent, hard contact with a wood bat in BP and in the live game situations. Of course, that was just one outing, but the hitting profiles between he and Josh Vitters are similar at the same stage, even if Vitters bats righty vs. Moore's left-handed stroke, in that they are/were extremely polished hitters with good approaches.

Moore played SS in HS, and I felt he could have stuck there for a few years even if everyone had him pegged as a 3B. Vitters has played a little SS, and a lot more 3B, and he could end up in a corner OF spot because unlike Moore, he's not that gifted athlete that just makes all of the plays look so easy.

And because that gap between the two has closed, that along with some inside info, is why I believe Moustakas won't even be available for the Brewers pick.

I hope I'm not putting you on the spot again asking you to share, or at least hint at, your inside info? Thanks as always.

BA said (in their blog maybe?) that Moustakas was moving up boards quickly. He's a guy I would love to see us get but I'm prepared to try to justify a prep RHP to myself.

Moustakas was moving up the boards quickly because most didn't have him in there top 30 to start the season. A few broken records later, he's a possibility for the Brewers at 7

I just don't know who'd steal him from us.

#1 Tampa has admitted they've narrowed there list to Price, Wieters, and Vitters, and Price seems to be a foregone conclusion.

#2 KC seems to be focussing on pitching.

#4 Pittsburg won't pick a Boras client.

#5 Baltimore likely won't pick a Boras client either, per BA. That seems suprising, but I guess they've avoided Boras draft picks in the past.

Thats leaves us with just #3 Chicago and #6 Washington. Moustakas would be a good pick for the Cubs, but they seem to be in love with Vitters. Washington is thought to be open to picking a Boras guy, but most think it will be a Boras pitcher, like Scherzer or even Brackman.

I like our odds, if we only pony up the cash.

X, the teams I have heard that may be in on Moustakas are the O's and the Nationals. The O's won't completely avoid Boras as BA has led onto, and the Nats aren't completely focused on a pitcher like everyone thinks they are.

And I think the Pirates should be on Moustakas if the Cubs go Vitters. Moustakas at #4 would still get a mighty hunk of change at slot value.

If Scherzer re-enters the draft, that will help Moustakas get to the Brewers pick, as Scherzer won't re-enter the draft unless he's taken among the top 5-6 teams since he reportedly has a $3 million offer on the table from the D-Backs. I think most people are really starting to hope that happens.

And I don't think Moustakas will be a tremendously difficult sign. Maybe like Cameron Maybin or Homer Bailey, in that he may command an extra $500K or so (which is still a lot of money), but it's not like we're talking a big-league deal with a signing bonus in the $3.5-$4M range (at least not as far as I can tell).

If Baseball America is right, and Matt Wieters falls all the way to St. Louis, if he is available, Wieters is the guy the Brewers SHOULD pick, but we all know they wont. They have them picking Moustakas, which isnt a bad pick though (but only if they plan on using him as a catcher), not as bad at least as Jeffress or Rogers. But if thats not the case, and they dont feel like getting the crowbar out to sign Wieters, then two other picks I would like to see are Smoker or Weathers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Baseball America is right, and Matt Wieters falls all the way to St. Louis, if he is available, Wieters is the guy the Brewers SHOULD pick, but we all know they wont.

Are you really that comfortable with Wieters production? It just hasn't improves since his freshman year, and his slugging % just really seems uninspiring. Recent Brewer collge pick sRyan Braun and Cole Gillespie outslugged Wieters in there junior year by 120-140 points. Wieters production and offensive profile in almost carbon copy of Jeff Clements, and he doesn't excite me a ton either.

But if thats not the case, and they dont feel like getting the crowbar out to sign Wieters, then two other picks I would like to see are Smoker or Weathers.

I too would be happier with Smoker than the pitchers that are really being connected to the Brewers.

I am not completely sold on Wieters' production either, but you cannot ignore his size and potential. Personally, I would prefer, if I were a GM, Lars Davis from U of IL. And although hyped a lot and possibly available, I do not want to see the Brewers take Moskos or Detweiler. The more I think about it, as I write this post, I think Smoker is the guy I would like to see the Brewers draft most.

Did anyone think Andrew Miller would fall last year to the Detroit Tigers? Wieters could fall to us, and given that we don't have another pick in the top 100, it could very well be our lucky day. However, I think the Cubs could very well pounce, though they are perma-linked to Vitters. But what are the chances Vitters falls to us? Or Porcello? Which is more likely?

I wouldnt want either of those guys if they fell to us (Vitters or Porcello), but definitely would if Wieters did. The only way I would be remotely interested in Vitters would be if you converted him to a SS or could rely on his arm as a right fielder, otherwise, no thanks.

I would take Vitters or Porcello without blinking if they fell. Vitters is the best hitter available in this year's draft. I worry about where and how he fits later, not now. That's what BPA is all about.

Of course, that's probably not something we have to worry about. Vitters doesn't get past the Pirates if the Cubs don't take him.

Archived