Brewer Fanatic

Capuano: One year wonder?

DannoMac21

Trade him, put him on the DL, do something with him. It's sad when the second best pitcher on this team is in the bullpen pitching once a week. I felt better when Gallardo was in the rotation. I guess Capuano's one year wonder 18 win season was enough to label him as a stud.

(Unambigufied thread title --1992casey)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So "something is wrong with him" because it was 102 degrees in Washington and Yost left him in too long in the 6th?

I thought he pitched very effectively for 5 innings. He was appraoching 90 pitches heading into the the 6th inning. The Brewers have 4 off days coming up and Gallardo, Villanueva (if available, i don't know) plus the Wise, Turnbow, Cordero, etc, etc....he even could have gone to whoever would have been scheduled to pitch tomorrow or Tuesday because they won't pitch for a week.

It should have been Capuano for 2-3 innings, Gallardo for 2-3 innings, Bush for 2-3 innings, to get to the 7th inning for Wise/Villy...Turnbow, Cordero.

Capuano hit a wall and should have been pulled immediately following Zimmerman's homer. Ueck kept saying it. It was so obvious the 102 degree heat got to him and he was laboring.

cappy pitched really well today. It was his second start off the DL. He didn't go far in the first game and it was crazy hot out today. He should have been pulled much much sooner than he was. Today was on Ned, not cappy.

Using ERA to judge a pitcher over a months time is completely useless. Obviously something is wrong though since he was on the DL, I wouldn't really judge him until he has a good month long stretch of being healthy.

Today is all on Yost though, that was probably the worst managing I've seen in my 25 years of watching baseball.

Using ERA for the past month is hardly useless, but it shouldn't be the end all be all stat used to judge how a pitcher is performing. Hopefully the time on the DL plus this extra break helps him recouperate enough that his seemingly typical September swoon doesn't occur this year.

Quote:
Using ERA to judge a pitcher over a months time is completely useless. Obviously something is wrong though since he was on the DL, I wouldn't really judge him until he has a good month long stretch of being healthy.

Ok, completely useless to say that he isn't pitching well?!? I don't get why people are so defensive about every little thing on this site. Capuano has not pitched well since early May. That's all I was saying, why does everything become such a big production?

Why can't someone point out that a guy isn't pitching well and show his ERA to prove that point? ERA is how pitchers have been judged for 130 years, but now it's "completely useless"?

Quote:
Using ERA to judge a pitcher over a months time is completely useless.

Why is his 7.2 ERA over the past month completely useless? It costs the Brewers games and puts extra work on the bullpen because he can't seem to get past the 5th inning.

How about his 1.83 WHIP since May 13th? Is that useless too?

Or his 20 walks and 32 strikeouts since May 13th? I bet that's useless too.

Yes it is completely useless, you can pitch great for a month and have a 7 ERA, you can pitch horribly for a month and have a 2 ERA.

Quote:
How about his 1.83 WHIP since May 13th? Is that useless too?

Or his 20 walks and 32 strikeouts since May 13th? I bet that's useless too.

Those are much less useless, but they weren't brought up. The poster just looked at his ERA. In this specific case you have a pitcher who was injured so its going to be hard to really judge them at all in the first place. Capuano looked good for 5 innings today then he tired out and Yost screwed him.

Quote:
Yes it is completely useless, you can pitch great for a month and have a 7 ERA, you can pitch horribly for a month and have a 2 ERA.

I'd love for you to show me one example of either of those.

Also, I wasn't making a point about how he was likely to pitch in the future and I wasn't aware I needed to write a doctoral thesis and cite every statistic known to man in order to support my patently obvious claim that Capuano has not been pitching well.

excuse the sarcasm...but what I've gleaned from this board lately:

1. Weeks is fine and will be a stud.

2. Capuano is fine and is a stud

3. Suppan has been a horse

4. But Yost makes bad decisions and its his fault our team loses despite walking guys who couldn't get a hit if you tied the outfielders to the ground and let him place it anywhere in between them while putting a fence around the infield to prevent their interference in the matter.

I've also gleaned that all stats are useless unless they meet the specified approval of about five of us who can verify the authenticity of the statistic, and whether that said statistic meets veriability requirements, such as whether said statistic agrees with viewpoint of said statistical interpreter.

Quote:
Capuano looked good for 5 innings today then he tired out and Yost screwed him.

What was his excuse in that game at Miller Park against Minnesota? Or that start in Texas on June 8? How about that epic effort in May against the Mets?

I know Yost is an easy target (sometimes guilty here), but this is downright ridiculous. The guy on the other side of the stadium threw 88 pitches in his third start of the major league season. He'd pitched 11 big-league innings in 2007 before today.

If Tim Redding can handle the heat, then Capuano had better either stop lying about his health and go on the DL or figure out what the hell his problem is. It's been going on since May, and blaming it on his DL stint or heat or Ned just isn't cutting it anymore.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I thought he looked great today until he ran out of gas. He runs the bases in the top of the inning and clearly lost it. I just don't understand why Yost waits so long when we have the break coming up. Some of our guys looked gassed today. JJ Hardy needs a break more than he does an all-star game, but hopefully he will find time to rest because his bat just isn't as quick right now.

It may not be fair to bame Ned for runs 1, 2 and 3, and maybe even 4, but it's eminently fair to heap a generous amount of responsibility on him for every run after that. Giving yourself a better chance to get out of an inning at 4-2 rather than 7-2 is what managing is all about.

Cappy is not fine, but he's really not much worse than anybody on the staff with more than 3 starts not named Sheets.

Quote:
Cappy is not fine, but he's really not much worse than anybody on the staff with more than 3 starts not named Sheets.

I'd take Dave Bush any day over Capuano right now. While Bush has been busy racking up some pretty solid starts since the start of June, Capuano has stunk since the middle of May.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

maybe I missed it, but does anybody else thing Cappy sitting in the hot sun for 10 minutes while "running the bases" in the top of the 6th could have sapped some energy? Instead of getting some gatorade and a cold towel, he was out there for four batters on the bases.

And, yes, I was ready to throw some baseballs at the TV when Yost just stood there in the dugout after the home run (which came on the very next pitch after the "discussion" on the mound, I might add). And after the walk. And after the single. Disgusting.

On a semi-related note, Francisco Cordero has been used twice in the last 10 days. Wouldn't it have been a good idea to get him an inning today before he (likely) pitches in the All Star game to loosen him up a bit? And if he doesn't get into the game that'll be twice in 2 weeks! Argh!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Chuck James - May 2nd - June 7th - 3.02 ERA.

Pretty good pitcher right? Of course he walked 4.5 per 9 in that stretch and had a .760 OPS against so certainly that ERA doesn't tell the story.

Jose Contreras May 16th-June 24th - 5.33 ERA

Pretty ugly stretch right? Of course he walked fewer than James, K'd almost the same, gave up a lower OPS against, only allowed 2 HR's.

Dave Bush May 3rd-June 10th - 5.36 ERA

Elite BB level, good K level, again an OPS against in the .750 range but ugly results in the ERA.

ERA just isn't going to tell you what is going on with a pitcher. Its way to dependent on left on base percentages to really mean anything over 5 or 6 starts. Look at stats that don't take 400 IP to stabalize like K/9, BB/9 etc.

Granted those aren't as extreme as my original post but its what I found in 3 minutes of research just looking at this years data, I'm sure if you searched hard enough you could find really extreme splits.

Ennder, how did you go about finding that data? Did you have to have guys in mind to start with or was there some easy internet magic involved?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Capuano has pitched 40 innings since May 13. He's allowed 53 hits and 33 runs (32 earned).

But, yeah, he's throwing well. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

(EDITed numbers. They didn't include today's rock-solid, ace-like performance.)

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I went to www.fangraphs.com and searched by LOB% and looked at some guys who had extreme values for it. When you are talking just 5 or 6 starts LOB% has as much to do with ERA as actually pitching well does.

And if that was meant for me Bruce I never said anything about Capuano pitching well, I said he's hurt and I'm not going to really judge a pitcher during an injury.

His May stats look very normal with a few extra hits probably from a high BABIP. His June stats were ugly but only 11 IP. His July stats are during an injury.

I've also gleaned that all stats are useless unless they meet the specified approval of about five of us who can verify the authenticity of the statistic, and whether that said statistic meets veriability requirements, such as whether said statistic agrees with viewpoint of said statistical interpreter.

You really need to hang out with Geno and David. They will appreciate this nice bit of sarcasm just as much as I do.

Archived