Brewer Fanatic

Melvin will work his magic in Aug

brewmann04

They aren't going to trade Weeks, they knew his wrist was going to be an issue this season and they won't give up on him because of it. They also aren't that likely to find somenoe much better than Graffanino to fill his shoes anyway.

I highly doubt we make a move, we don't have a hole that is really fillable via trade right now.

Quote:
(For you OBP guys--you're going to need to do better than that.)

Why? You can't just choose to ignore one stat just because it doesn't support your opinion. His OBP has been good all season.

Actually he's been pretty miserable since April.

.193 AVG, .323 OBP, .277 SLG, .600 OPS. I dont' think anyone can look at those stats with a straight face and say that the wrist isn't causing part of the problem though.

(For you OBP guys--you're going to need to do better than that.)

Weeks hasn't even been close to the worst player in the league. I would argue that Weeks doesn't even have the worst stats on his own team. And if you mean that he is when you take out the portion of the year that he was doing well......

And not making outs has a ton of value, so I don't see how you have to be sold on that fact.

I can't see any major deals going down this year.

Rickie has OPS'd higher than Biggio, Giles and the awful tandem of Miles/Kennedy in St. Louis this yer... so bad, but not even the worst at his position. And their excuses aren't as good (other than Biggio being too old).

Minor side note... wow the Padres should have taken Graffanino. Giles has been terrible to the tune of .232/.303/.320/.624 (his OPS is lower than Braun's SLG)

Just curious, what is the official rule on dealing players after July 31st.. how does that all work after July 31st with waivers and what not, how do you push through players with waivers and all that, can someone explain that to me in detail?

And their excuses aren't as good

If Rickie Weeks is hurt he shouldn't be playing on a team fighting for their first playoff berth in 25 years. I'm sick of seeing ANY excuses for Weeks' play. If you want to argue that his wrist is making him awful, then you should call out Yost and/or Melvin for having him in there. I'm not sold on the wrist "excuse."

Agreed. He either is having a bad year or the wrist. Either way I don't want him as one of the reasons for not getting into the playoffs and the Crew to continue to go with him. His "benching" from Yost obviously was nothing.

Rluz...worst offensive playe, not player...big difference. Since May 1, you'd be very hard pressed to find a more futile offensive performance.

Key point, I indicated since the end of April. Take his stats from 5/1 to now. (grab a barf bag and get ready)

I could understand people's clammering for Weeks to be permanently benched if the alternative was something to get excited about. Graffinino isn't something to get excited about, IMO. Weeks and Graffy are having pretty comparable seasons, overall and that's not saying much. I don't know if it matters much who starts, either way. Weeks just has more upside, which is why he's still getting his share of starts. If he was the 35 year old 2B, he would have been benched a long time ago.

I agree Russ, but let's stop talking about Weeks' wrist as why he's been putrid. Either he's too hurt to play or he has been a bust so far...there's no other way around it. I don't want them to cut the guy loose or anything, but if he's too hurt, he shouldn't be playing. It's that simple.

No offense rluz, but have you been watching either of those guys hit lately?

I genuinely think the reason we didn't trade for a second baseman or centerfielder (with Hall moving) is that Graffy has been pretty good lately. Real good the last 6 weeks or so.

Weeks has been horrible lately. He can't hardly make contact. The guy needs to go to AAA and get something going.

I'm very happy to say this: The Brewers can't afford to have somebody learn on the job this year. They are actually playing for something.

but if he's too hurt, he shouldn't be playing. It's that simple.

The problem is, it's not simple to decide when a player is TOO hurt to justify playing him. Players play hurt all the time and it hurts their production, to a certain degree. They are allowed to continue to play if their lowered production is still better than the alternative and/or their health is expected to improve.

The fact is, it's nearly impossible to separate true talent, vs. bad luck, vs. temporary bad approach (slump) vs. degraded performance do to injury. For Weeks it could be one or all of the above to certain degrees. I wouldn't even begin to speculate on the answer. I can only assume that his injury can't be so serious that it entirely explains his poor performance.

No offense rluz, but have you been watching wither of those guys hit lately?

I watch the games. We have different ways of looking at the same thing. I can certainly appreciate how fans would prefer Graffy at this point, however. I sill say that some were calling for Graffy to be DFA'd earlier in the year, however.

I understand 100%. I'm just saying that in prior years the Brewers had nothing to play for, so you could let somebody play out of a prolonged slump.

But, this year that can't happen. Every game is as important as the next, bar none. Batting eighth or first, we'd have two sure outs in a row with Rickie in there everyday.

He can go to AAA and straighten things out. At this point, I think it's the only answer.

I'm just saying that in prior years the Brewers had nothing to play for, so you could let somebody play out of a prolonged slump.

Slumps are a funny thing, since it's basically impossible to predict when they will start and end. Look at Graffy's month to month splits if you think you have a good grasp of what to expect from him. Barring injury, hot streaks and slumps can generally be explained by the normal streaks we would expect from any batter. Obviously, Weeks doesn't imply if injury is seriously hampering his performance. None of us are really in a good position to know if it's the explanation, however.

Archived