Brewer Fanatic

Garza's Day/Night splits

JohnBriggs12

In thinking about Garza pitching today, I thought it seemed like his best games are always in the day, so I looked up his splits and they are stunning.

For his career, Garza is nearly a run better in day starts: 3.34 ERA vs. 4.28 at night. It's even more pronounced this year: 3.98 during the day vs. 6.21 at night.

One year might be an anomaly but his career includes a lot of starts. May just be his concentration and focus is better during the day.

Might be a good idea when possible to get him as many afternoon starts as possible.

In thinking about Garza pitching today, I thought it seemed like his best games are always in the day, so I looked up his splits and they are stunning.

For his career, Garza is nearly a run better in day starts: 3.34 ERA vs. 4.28 at night. It's even more pronounced this year: 3.98 during the day vs. 6.21 at night.

Might be a good idea to only start Garza during the day.

I always thought most pitchers were better during the day, at least for the Brewers. Maybe something about the batters having to deal with the sun/shadows?

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Might be a good idea when possible to get him as many afternoon starts as possible.

First off, I hope you're joking. Second of all, playing for the Cubs is going to skew those numbers somehow. Visiting teams aren't used to playing multiple day

games in a series.

His Cubs career wasn't that long and why would I be joking? I recall one dominant start he had as a Cub against the Brewers and that was in Miller Park during the day.

Back in his heyday, the Dodgers used to give Warren Spahn fits, so often times the Braves moved Spahn around so he would miss the Dodgers. Spahn averaged 107 career starts against the other 6 pre-expansion franchises, but started only 77 times in his career against the Dodgers, far fewer than any other team.

I'll admit it's "outside the box" thinking, but the game could use some of that. Of course it's impossible to maneuver his starts to just be during the day, but you can do a little here and there with off days to switch around your rotation to maximize his strength as a daylight pitcher.

Might be a good idea to only start Garza during the day.

I always thought most pitchers were better during the day, at least for the Brewers. Maybe something about the batters having to deal with the sun/shadows?

It's usually just the opposite. Most pitchers do slightly better at night. Fiers was better at night. Peralta's better at night. Lohse is about even in his long career. Not enough of a sample on Nelson or Jungmann. Shadows affect hitters probably as much in early innings of night games as they do during the day. In many places, the ball doesn't carry as well at night either. I think Garza's splits are pretty unusual and the fact they've been compiled over a long career show that for whatever reason, he performs better more often during the day.

Right on queue, 7 innings, 2 hits, 1 run today.

I do find the split interesting but it probably doesn't matter as it would be too difficult to work around. Maybe best if he is traded back to the Cubs.

Cubs are increasing their night game totals. Won't be any real difference.

What's even crazier is Lohse's home/road splits this year.

Home: 283 PAs, 8.16 ERA, 1.747 WHIP, .368 BABIP, .986 OPS-A

Away: 262 PAs, 4.55 ERA, 1.200 WHIP, .273 BABIP, .721 OPS-A

On the road he's been mediocre/somewhat OK. Home... nightmare.

I thought day stats were usually better because there are more games against Sunday lineups
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived