Brewer Fanatic

Houston and 3B

A solid everyday 1B with an .841 OPS in spite of his flaws against LHP . . . AND an All-Star closer for a single young 3B prospect?

I think you're seriously underestimating the worth of the Brewers' proven (not to mention affordable) assets, let alone the value of another team's prospects.

Sorry, I just think that as a rule, 2 proven front-line MLB players for a single unproven mid-minors prospect is a bit too disparate to be remotely realistic. And if the 3B guys you're talking about are acquired merely to hold down the fort 'til Lara's ready, they can't be that high-ceiling-ish as prospects or else you'd prefer them in the long run over Lara anyway. But that's not the picture you're painting.

Houston has Jed Lowrie and the MLB level, Colin Moran at AA, and JD Davis at A+. Would one of them work for our 3B until Lara is ready? what would it take to trade one of them? Maybe Adam Lind & K-Rod?

Moran is almost 23 years old and has developed little to no power. I have no interest in him at 3b.

However, JD Davis could be a stud. He's put up 17 bombs and a .359 OBP at A+ this year.

I doubt, however, that Davis will sniff the top 100 as he has struck out 130 times in 450 PA's. That's about 1/4 of the time, which is concerning at A+. AA next year will say alot about his future.

I would think about a Lind for Davis trade, but I would like want 1 or 2 more lower minors guys as well.

If you are going to deal Lind, the returns should be major league talent in return, not A ball talent. Brewers have two starters on the cusp of stardom and a talented crop of young players on the cusp of the majors. This needs to be a quick rebuild or they'll end up wasting prime years of studs like Nelson and Jungmann and we all know those guys don't come around all that often for this franchise.

If you are going to deal Lind, the returns should be major league talent in return, not A ball talent. Brewers have two starters on the cusp of stardom and a talented crop of young players on the cusp of the majors. This needs to be a quick rebuild or they'll end up wasting prime years of studs like Nelson and Jungmann and we all know those guys don't come around all that often for this franchise.

2 starters on the cusp of stardom? You're grasping at straws here in defense of your "every season is meaningful" mantra.

If we're looking for an everyday 3B JD Davis should be one of the targets, he's only 2 years away from MLB, he'd fit in perfectly with the next wave of prospects.

Furthermore we control all of our inexperienced starting pitching for at minimum of 5 more years, there's no rush. Even if it's true that both Nelson and Jungmann are better than 3s the idea here should be to quit assigning competitive windows to a player, because as we've seen the window just transferred from Fielder, to Greinke, to Gomez, to Lucroy and so on...the "we need to make these moves now because player X is in his prime!" mentality leads to fragmented and haphazard hole plugging that makes little sense when taken as a whole. You can apply the reverse justification that some posters are so fond of to any of the moves but on a macro level there's no cohesion or direction which is the most unresolved issue that will continue to plague this franchise.

This seems appropriate:

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-Albert Einstein

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

This seems appropriate:

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

-Albert Einstein

Not saying that I necessarily disagree with your philosophy, but just because something doesn't work doesn't mean that it isn't/wasn't the correct approach. Not equal to "A" does not mean equal to the opposite of "A" either.

Never bring the problem solving stage into the decision making stage. Otherwise, you surrender yourself to the problem rather than the solution.

-Robert H. Schuller

If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

-Abraham Maslow

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't know anything about Davis, but Moran is interesting. i think he can hit foe average, but the power just hasn't materialized. He is hitting lots of doubles - 22 in 266 ABs - so it still could emerge. You have to think if Milwaukee really wanted him, they could have done something in the Gomez deal. I heard his defense is okay.

Still, if I had the chance I'd nab him.

If the Brewers can get either Moran or Davis, I think they should.

Moran, (BJ Surhoff's nephew), is a lefty hitter, and as reilly points out, he's hitting for average, and doubles, but not many HRs so far. Moran was the 6th pick overall in 2013, taken by the Marlins, later traded to Houston.

JD Davis is actually the guy I'd want more of the two. He's got more power, but also has a nice OBP. Davis played RF for Cal-State Fullerton, and he pitched in relief. He threw hard enough to take a shot as a pitcher, but he can hit, so, "the bat plays."

Davis is still learning third base, but it looks like he'll be ok.

Moran is in AA, he's projected to hit the big leagues next season, Davis is at high A, projected for 2017.

Either of these players would get it done for the Brewers, but I think I'd ask for Davis.

You have to think if Milwaukee really wanted him, they could have done something in the Gomez deal. I heard his defense is okay.

+1. You would think if the Brewers wanted one of the stros 3b's they would have nabbed one in the Gomez trade.

Y'all are overlooking a former Astros 3b prospect already in Colorado Springs. Good ol' Matt Dominguez!! If you want Astros castoffs, look no further!

Well, sure, except the other two aren't castoffs.

No, you're right. They're much better. Moran is starting to heat up. If the Astros were to give them up, it would be a high price. Very high.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Y'all are overlooking a former Astros 3b prospect already in Colorado Springs. Good ol' Matt Dominguez!! If you want Astros castoffs, look no further!

Well, sure, except the other two aren't castoffs.

No, you're right. They're much better. Moran is starting to heat up. If the Astros were to give them up, it would be a high price. Very high.

Moran was brought up on the BA hot sheet the other day:

"Does Moran have the power to be an everyday third baseman? That’s one of the main questions for the 2013 first-rounder, who missed nearly a month in May with a fractured jaw and 10 days in June with a right ankle injury. After failing to homer once in 32 games in the first half of the season, Moran has popped five home runs in 38 games since then, batting .347/.418/.540 since the Texas League all-star break"

I don't think he'd be that big of a cost to obtain - his defense is okay, and his power is still questionable. I think he's a fringy Top 100 guy prospect wise - if that helps give you an idea of his value. If he can continue his power surge through the rest of the year, he'll jump up in a pretty big way. That's the thing people have been waiting to emerge to make him a legit prospect.

1B Jon Singleton and 3B Colin Moran for 1B/DH Adam Lind this offseason? The Astros seem to have soured on Singleton and so unloading his (modest) contract might be appealing, whereas we can give him a longer leash while rebuilding and even if he never pans out the financial commitment is not huge. Might have to package somebody with Lind to get a deal done.

While Moran's numbers seem to hold some degree of promise (though his Texas League numbers also bring to mind Lavell Freeman and how the TL used to be good for over-inflating offensive stats), I'd rather have Matt Clark at 1B along with Rogers than Singleton.

Just looking at Singleton's numbers -- majors and minors -- suggest too strongly to me a human windmill at the plate, and I have zero interest in that. I still have Mark Reynolds nightmares after last year and don't care to re-live a younger, LH version of him anytime too soon.

I'm not sold on trading Adam Lind but might be okay with it for a good, solid return. If Houston were to be the dance partner, I'd want something much better than Singleton to go along with Moran. If there's nothing tradeable on Houston's end that's that much better, then I'm quite content with Adam Lind at 1B.

Archived