Brewer Fanatic

Cravy to replace Lohse in the rotation?; Guilmet optioned - Latest: Cravy to DL; post 55

bork

The good thing on the veteran list is that only a handful are pitching well, and most of them are too old probably even for Mark's standards to bring in on a new contract. If they do, some of the guys that are pitching well (Vogelsong (stadium-aided), Young (defense-aided), Burnett, Lackey) would all be old enough that 1, MAYBE 2 years is about all any sane owner/GM could go, even Mark. The younger ones, Estrada, Kazmir, Lincecum, I can't imagine Mark winning the bid for them.

Simon scares me. I'm glad that he's having a down year, because he's the one on that list that kind of fits the Lohse criteria otherwise. Everyone on the list is either so bad or so old that they'd only get a 1-year deal, are retiring, or are going to be priced out of the market.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really think they're rolling young next year in the staff. No allusions of competing next year. Yea maybe they'll grab one of these old guys just for depth and to eat innings. But don't expect and 3 or 4 years 10+ mil per year deals.

If I'm a competitive team looking for a cheap 5th starter I'd roll with Fister, think he has big bounceback potential next year. Someone like Pittsburgh maybe.

Lopez also looks really close to being ready for the big leagues too; maybe sometime next year. Too me it doesn't make sense to really sign anyone other than a 1 year stopgap. If you are going to do that; you might as well just fill the gap with the AAAA filler we already have. Not including Garza we hopefully will have a lot of pitchers to pick from including Peralta, Jungmann, Nelson, Cravy, Lopez, Davies, and Wagner. Then you have guys that might not be too far behind in Williams, Medeiros, Ponce, Kirby, Sneed. I am sure I am missing someone.

If it appears we really need that missing piece to be a strong contender I would advocate making a big splash in FA; but until then I think we have more than enough young guys to hold the fort. Couple those with youngsters like Arcia, Phillips, Roache, Reed, and Santana and I think the future is looking pretty bright for 2017.

Sounds like he may not be around for long. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/320927261.html

"It just didn't work out so we'll see what happens from here. There's all kinds of possibilities. We did talk about some options but I can't really talk about that right now until certain things happen. It's hang tight and I'll be in the bullpen for now.

sounds like he was told he was being placed on revo-waivers yesterday and they will actively look to move him to a rotation elsewhere

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

And probably about 20 other Brewers. That's the only way he can be traded at this point.

Definitely. Half the league is probably on waivers now. Still interesting Mlbtraderumors singled him out for a story though. They know whats up with these kind of waivers, Id assume.

Sounds like he may not be around for long. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/320927261.html

"It just didn't work out so we'll see what happens from here. There's all kinds of possibilities. We did talk about some options but I can't really talk about that right now until certain things happen. It's hang tight and I'll be in the bullpen for now.

sounds like he was told he was being placed on revo-waivers yesterday and they will actively look to move him to a rotation elsewhere

If they are able to get anything for him - even salary relief - they should be doing cartwheels.

That said, he does seem to be the type of guy the Cardinals will pick up who will be lights-out for them the rest of the season and post-season. Then the Brewers would probably re-sign him to a 3-year deal :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I dont care if he stays in the bullpen the rest of the season, its not my money they're spending by keeping him, and I cannot imagine they'd get a prospect of any worth in return for 1 1/2 months of 37 year old Loshe.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

But we can trade him for a guy to make up for the pick we lost.

No. Not even if we picked up all the salary can we bring back a first round pick caliber talent.

It was sarcasm because the whole time some posters were saying we would be able to get the value of the pick we lost back if we traded him and now we're going to have to pay almost all of his salary and take pretty much nothing in return for him if we can even trade him at all.

But we can trade him for a guy to make up for the pick we lost.

No. Not even if we picked up all the salary can we bring back a first round pick caliber talent.

It was sarcasm because the whole time some posters were saying we would be able to get the value of the pick we lost back if we traded him and now we're going to have to pay almost all of his salary and take pretty much nothing in return for him if we can even trade him at all.

Shocking things turned out this way. Really, really, really shocking.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Really think they're rolling young next year in the staff. No allusions of competing next year. Yea maybe they'll grab one of these old guys just for depth and to eat innings. But don't expect and 3 or 4 years 10+ mil per year deals.

If I'm a competitive team looking for a cheap 5th starter I'd roll with Fister, think he has big bounceback potential next year. Someone like Pittsburgh maybe.

They can and likely will have a better roster than they have now on opening day next year. They'll be players available the won't cost much who are better than some they have now. That doesn't mean they expect to contend. But they have to put on a show that's at least entertaining from time to time.

They'll be players available the won't cost much who are better than some they have now. That doesn't mean they expect to contend. But they have to put on a show that's at least entertaining from time to time.

I don't think adding a guy like Danny Valencia for example would be the least bit entertaining. Sure you can sign a couple of guys to one year deals and trade them at the deadline or whatever but seeing how a young starting pitching staff can do over 162 games is good enough for me.

Watching young players develop is usually more entertaining than what we're usually given.

They'll be players available the won't cost much who are better than some they have now. That doesn't mean they expect to contend. But they have to put on a show that's at least entertaining from time to time.

I don't think adding a guy like Danny Valencia for example would be the least bit entertaining. Sure you can sign a couple of guys to one year deals and trade them at the deadline or whatever but seeing how a young starting pitching staff can do over 162 games is good enough for me.

Watching young players develop is usually more entertaining than what we're usually given.

The young guys I'm waiting to see don't figure to make the roster out of spring training next with the possible exception of Santana. Career minor leaguers in their late 20's and early 30's aren't entertaining either and Counsell is playing two almost everyday. All I'm saying is get an actual major league CF and if Perez isn't the guy at 3B or you want to ease him in, then find an actual solid vet for the short term to share the position. Having better defense in CF and some pop in the lineup will help the young starters gain confidence.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Guys like Tyler Cravy are all over the place. They have limited tools and no special quality that sets them above the rest. It doesn't mean Tyler can't succeed, but it's difficult. There's so little margin for error in their game. That's why you crank out guys like this. You produce five Tyler Cravys and hope one becomes a legit ML player. Even better if he can actually hold down a rotation spot.

We aren't making the playoffs this year, so I'm okay letting him ride out the season. It's not like there's a host of quality starters at AAA waiting to get their turn. The other real option is probably Thornburg. If the club wants to give him some starts, go for it. I guess the team needs to decide who they want to see more of this year.

The other thing with players like Cravy is that they often can take some time to make the adjustments they need to be successful. In other years he wouldn't be someone you'd have a long leash with, but we can afford to and see if he gives us a few solid years.

Archived