Brewer Fanatic

Cravy to replace Lohse in the rotation?; Guilmet optioned - Latest: Cravy to DL; post 55

bork

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
guilmet can be optioned back and forth this season (but will require ten days in the minors for each stay unless being recalled for an injured player). he will enter 2016 spring training with no minor league options remaining.

wow, good move! no way RRR would have done this

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

we need a twitter bot

We could probably put one here on the board but not on the main site at this time.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The Brewer Nation ‏@BrewerNation 3m3 minutes ago

Craig Counsell just told us that Tyler Cravy will start tomorrow. Kyle Lohse will pitch out of the bullpen. #Brewers

Thank god. I know some want us to tank but watching Lohse serve up batting practice in games was brutal to watch.

I assume he'll get skipped when they have their crazy 4 days off in 12 days at the end of the month. Gives him 3 starts before then. If they don't skip him, he'll be pushing 180 innings by the end of the year, when he's never thrown more the 90.

Got to believe only reason Lohse is being kept is for perceived clubhouse presence. He's essentially the 13th man on the staff now and I can't imagine him being used as anything more than a innings saver in blowouts. Maybe he's a good influence on the young guys or they seem to think he is.

Sounds like he may not be around for long. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/320927261.html

"It just didn't work out so we'll see what happens from here. There's all kinds of possibilities. We did talk about some options but I can't really talk about that right now until certain things happen. It's hang tight and I'll be in the bullpen for now.

I assume he'll get skipped when they have their crazy 4 days off in 12 days at the end of the month. Gives him 3 starts before then. If they don't skip him, he'll be pushing 180 innings by the end of the year, when he's never thrown more the 90.

Cravy's 26. This may be his only chance to make an impression. You don't take it away because you are afraid he's not physically up to it at 26, the age pitchers are at their prime. He hurt his oblique last year. It's not like he was coming off surgery or has a long history of ailments It's his big opportunity. Give it to him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Cravy's 26. This may be his only chance to make an impression. You don't take it away because you are afraid he's not physically up to it at 26, the age pitchers are at their prime. He hurt his oblique last year. It's not like he was coming off surgery or has a long history of ailments It's his big opportunity. Give it to him.

Yeah, I'd be a bit more worried about his workload if he was like 22-23 or whatever, but he's 26. It's really now or never for the guy.

How many more mid 30's pitchers do we have to sign to multi-year deals and have them blow up in the last year of the deal before we figure out this doesn't work?

Stop signing old dudes.

Mark Buehrle (37)

A.J. Burnett (39)

Chris Capuano (37)

Bartolo Colon (43)

R.A. Dickey (41) – $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Marco Estrada (32)

Doug Fister (32)

Gavin Floyd (33)

Jeremy Guthrie (37) – $10MM mutual option with a $3.2MM buyout

J.A. Happ (33)

Aaron Harang (38)

Dan Haren (35)

Tim Hudson (40)

Hisashi Iwakuma (35)

Scott Kazmir (32)

John Lackey (37)

Cliff Lee (37) – $27.5MM club/vesting option with a $12.5MM buyout

Tim Lincecum (32)

Kyle Lohse (37)

Mike Pelfrey (32)

Alfredo Simon (35)

Ryan Vogelsong (38)

Jerome Williams (34)

Chris Young (37)

Who ya got? There's only one guy on that list I'd want.... and that's for pure comedy gold.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I recall reading that because the body has reached physical maturity, age 26 is the approximate point where you can be a lot less concerned about innings limits. That said, I still wouldn't go overboard. This number wouldn't be exactly the same for everyone. In the Brewers case, there are several pitchers that they can take a look at; I'd be fine if they took a turn or two that might otherwise go to Cravy.

215 IP so far (excluding players below AAA who didnt get MLB exposure):

26 Nelson - 136.0

25 Jungmann - 131.0

old Loshe 124.0

31 Garza 123.2

26 Wagner 123.1

27 Burgos 118.0

25 Cravy 110.0

22 Daives 107.1

26 Thonry 102.0

26 Peralta 74.2

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

also, I didnt realize the year Birgos was having, bummer he missed pretty much all of last year to injury, but it seems like he's gotten himself back on track

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Here are some totals from previous years:

25 Jungmann - 131.0 (2015), 153.2 (2014), 139.1 (2013), 153.0 (2012)

26 Wagner 123.1 (2015) (163.1 (2014, includes Fall League), 148.2 (2013)

27 Burgos 118.0 (2015) 171.0 (2012)

25 Cravy 110.0 (2015), 82.1 (2014, also 25.0 innings in Venezuelan Winter League), 79.1 (2013), 90.1 (2011)

22 Daives 107.1 (2015), 135.2 (2014, includes Fall League), 148.2 (2013)

26 Thonry 102.0 (2015), 141.1 (2013), 134.2 (2012)

How many more mid 30's pitchers do we have to sign to multi-year deals and have them blow up in the last year of the deal before we figure out this doesn't work?

Stop signing old dudes.

Mark Buehrle (37)

A.J. Burnett (39)

Chris Capuano (37)

Bartolo Colon (43)

R.A. Dickey (41) – $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Marco Estrada (32)

Doug Fister (32)

Gavin Floyd (33)

Jeremy Guthrie (37) – $10MM mutual option with a $3.2MM buyout

J.A. Happ (33)

Aaron Harang (38)

Dan Haren (35)

Tim Hudson (40)

Hisashi Iwakuma (35)

Scott Kazmir (32)

John Lackey (37)

Cliff Lee (37) – $27.5MM club/vesting option with a $12.5MM buyout

Tim Lincecum (32)

Kyle Lohse (37)

Mike Pelfrey (32)

Alfredo Simon (35)

Ryan Vogelsong (38)

Jerome Williams (34)

Chris Young (37)

Who ya got? There's only one guy on that list I'd want.... and that's for pure comedy gold.

Signing veterans to fill out a rotation is fine. The killer is signing them for more than a year or two at overinflated prices.

The number of guys who are going to be available this winter is incredible. Of all years, this might be one where you can actually get quality from the bargain bin. You didn't even include 30 year old Ian Kennedy who after the first inning looked pretty good the other night.

Lets see how Cravy does the rest of the year. If it's obvious he's not ready or not a guy who looks like he's a major league starter over time, then they might need to spend $5-6 million on a veteran on a one year deal. Fiers is gone and somebody needs to replace his innings. Even if Cravy looks fine, they'll probably bring in a non-roster guy or two to compete in spring. When you have a guy like Cravy with options, you can build some depth behind the top 3-4.

Archived